THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Grotesque alternatives?

Go down 
+3
flakmonkey
Bibitybopitybacon
Snorri
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Snorri
Hellion
Snorri

Grotesque alternatives? Empty
PostSubject: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11 2014, 19:54

Hi brothers

with the new codex (and supplement) I'm testing 8 grotesques in list and I'm quite satisfied...but for price.
I have 8 of them in list, and I obviously can't bear the expense...so could you suggest me any possible (cheaper) alternative?

thanks
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11 2014, 20:05

I went the rout of rat ogre and talos bits. That's the cheapest way I think! I got 8 rat ogres off of ebay for $50 and two talos kits contain enough bits to convert all 8. VC crypt ghouls and PP warspears are the other go to conversions but are significantly more expensive. FB ogers are also an option if you're all about that base! Smile
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11 2014, 20:24

Bibitybopitybacon wrote:
I went the rout of rat ogre and talos bits. That's the cheapest way I think! I got 8 rat ogres off of ebay for $50 and two talos kits contain enough bits to convert all 8. VC crypt ghouls and PP warspears are the other go to conversions but are significantly more expensive. FB ogers are also an option if you're all about that base! Smile

Bacon has listed the most frequent models used. I went the Vampire Count way personally, just make sure you have some spare Talos bits and you'll have no trouble converting.

Maybe check out the other grotesque thread for some pics of PP warspears, my VC grotesques and Mr Pinks grotesque conversions.
Back to top Go down
Snorri
Hellion
Snorri

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12 2014, 08:59

Thanks guys Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior
Mr_Pink

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 19:07

My grotesques were converted up using Paulson Games Bioterrors, but that's not exactly helpful since those are now OOP. If you check mine out, they may still show you some ideas for dark eldar-ifying other models using talos bits. The Talos kit is pretty much the be all and end all when it comes to getting a wealth of bits useful for coven conversions. The big bits work for grots, obviously, but all the little grubbins in there like atrophied arms and serum vials go a long way for Haemies and Wracks.

I feel like my favourite available models for grots are PP Warspears, as first converted by the Dark City's Eye Of Error.
Back to top Go down
http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 17 2014, 11:57

I've always wanted to model up Lizard Men Kroxigors as alien mercenaries to match the Sslyth. They are pricey... but there may be a 3rd party alternative. I've always wanted alien mercenaries in my Corsair army and the Grotesques have been slated as that counts-as-unit.
Back to top Go down
kidfist0
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20 2014, 13:19

I've had a squad of 6 grotesques made up from shortly after the 5th ed book dropped using the island of blood rat ogres with chaos warrior heads, im pretty happy with them but want another squad of six to use in a new coven list. Sadly the supply on those figures appears to have dried up.
As such i picked up a box of vargheists/crypt horrors and added spare parts from my used talos/wrack sprues. The outcome looks much better than i thought it was going to and with the clawed feet and 'hairy' bits they tie into the rat ogre ones quite well. as such i'll be expanding on these to get a full squad of 6.
Have included a couple of pics (apologies for the mould lines and gaps, i did clean him up later on that day)

Grotesque alternatives? Wp_20110
Grotesque alternatives? Wp_20112
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20 2014, 13:26

@kidfist0 - These pics have pretty much convinced me to go this route - Thanks! One question though, did the clawed hands come from the crypt horror kit too?
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
kidfist0
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20 2014, 13:38

They sure are. All I did was snip off the nobbly bone ends to make it look like the spikes were unnatural growths rather than bones skewered through the arms.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20 2014, 14:13

Cool, thanks! Looks like I know what I'm spending money from my birthday on then, as I've already got 2 Talos kits on the way!
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque alternatives?   Grotesque alternatives? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grotesque alternatives?
Page 1 of 1