THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Grotesques

Go down 
+5
Plastikente
Cerve
Myrvn
Bibitybopitybacon
Norrin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Norrin
Hellion
Norrin

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 17:34

I am looking at the Grots, and I am beginning to warm up to them. My question is... load them into a Raider and DS, or put an IC with them and WWP? And in a 1500 pt game, likely against Marine-esque armies, should I go big in unit size, or stay small and spread the points love a bit more?
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 17:54

I like wwp deep striking personally. Let's you get the whole unit where you want it every time.
I wouldn't go over six Grotesques in a unit personally. Any more and you risk outnumbering the other guy and lose rampage.
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 18:07

I like the WWP myself as well and concur with a smaller squad. I'm also liking the idea of 3 liquefiers as well. I don't have enough games in to prove it out, but a 5+ to kill a marine outright is still decent. Having several templates at once with essentially perfect alignment (from WWP) helps maximize damage as well. It also provides a function for the unit when they drop rather than hanging out and getting shot.
Back to top Go down
Norrin
Hellion
Norrin

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 18:15

Quote :
It also provides a function for the unit when they drop rather than hanging out and getting shot.
That is true.

Wych

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 18:18

My go to for the character has been an archon with Agonizer and Shadow Field. I'm mostly paranoid of Wraithknights as the can ID grotesques and strike first. My plan is to have the Archon tank the wounds and hopefully survive. He/she should also drop quite a few wounds on the Wraithknight and the unit should drop one in a turn.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 18:24

I use two squads on two raiders. 3+IC and 3+IC at 1500

3 because are cheap, but already 9 wounds R5. Always an Aberration with scissorhands for the ap2 strikes (i use 1 Succubus with glaive and 1 Haem with another scissor hand, so I have a few ap2 strikes).
They need one IC for D, but they rocks!
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 18:25

Sorry, T5
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 18:29

I already loved Grots from the last Codex. I used to run 3 or 4 in a Raider with my Archon, but the WWP is now looking tempting. And I'm definitely in favour of more liquifiers in the squad.

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 19:41

In the last book, I would put 3 with an archon in a raider with sails. I would turbo-boost it up the field for a turn 2 assault. It worked well and was definitely a threat that my opponent had to address one way or another.

That strategy still works in the current book only that they do not need to be babysat any more. Taking them with the Coven Supplement, you're looking at having them fearless quickly which is huge for them.

Now, with that all said - the idea of taking a larger squad (6-7) of them and deep strike them in with a WWP is just scary. With the larger unit size, it is more then likely to survive a bit longer but also opens up the larger potential to multi-assault your opponent. While running a full squad of them would be expensive to do this with, it would definitely be a situation that any opponent would probably fear unless they had S10 to instant kill them. I'm now tempted to try that out though.

Overall, I think both strategies are viable and have potential. The Raider provides a more consistent and semi-protected delivery mechanism. Deep striking with a WWP is good but puts you at the mercy of the reserve rolls (and delays you additional turns to assault). So in a way, using them in raiders are more aggressive/distractive while using a WWP may be better to clean things up after you have popped transports.
Back to top Go down
MarcoAvrelis
Kabalite Warrior
MarcoAvrelis

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16 2014, 20:12

I'm gonna try out the Grotesquerie formation with 1 unit of 5 with agon-aber in a raider and 1 unit of 3 with an agon-aber and 1 haemi with agon and sump in a raider.

All raiders will have DL (cause I do not want to rebuild them) aethersails and nightshields.
First turn, I'll rotate them and then flat out to get as close to the enemy as possible (37" move ain't bad). I'll jink, and do not care if they get wrecked. They'll absorb shooting that way. Then, Second turn charge. Can't do that with a WWP.
Back to top Go down
undeadcatd
Slave

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 17 2014, 01:54

WWP for large units (>6)
Raider for small units (<5)

However I would rather take court when using WWP : cheaper ,the same T and FNP , more shooting(and mix medusa for template)
Back to top Go down
darthken239
Kabalite Warrior
darthken239

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 17 2014, 02:04

yes if you want the Grots in CC by turn 2 then AE are the best bet, then you dont have to worry about poor reserve rolls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grotesques   Grotesques I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grotesques
Page 1 of 1