THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Legion of the Damned

Go down 
+6
Lord_Alino
Dragontree
barenone
The_Burning_Eye
Tengu
Squidmaster
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

Legion of the Damned Empty
PostSubject: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 23 2014, 11:14

Hey chaps, I have yet another new project starting!

For some time, I've had a cupboard filled with bits boxes, and a lot of those bits are the leftovers of my long ago Space Marine armies.

So I started looking at what I can do with all those pieces.

Then earlier this year I ran the 40k side of the Pompey Pillage, and saw a Legion of the Damned army being used, and fell in love. Not like my Dark Eldar love, but a slight lust anyway.
So I started seeing how many marine bodies I could put together, and a plan was formed.

By NO stretch of the imagination is this a decent army list I've planned out, but at 1800pts I can get two detachment in and a decent number of Legion.

It comes down to two more or less identical detachments. Each has one 10 man squad with an Animus Malorum, and three 5 man squads. Squads all have nice weapons, heavy weapons, and a Sergeant with Power Weapon or Power Fist. Combi-Weapons also a must.

Early models follow:

Legion of the Damned Wip1_zpsb6c2a342
Legion of the Damned Wip2_zpsa4cd5f27

So, at first, its a base of basic Marine bodies.
These are quite rough of course, not perfectly cleaned, but that at this stage is intentional.
You can see here some of the special and heavy weapon guys, and the 8 sergeants.
I've started doing a few of the flamy ghost effects which will be a core part of the army (I plan to paint as ghosts).

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03 2014, 22:22

Thats a great idea; The Legion of the Damned have great fluff, and though you can get figures, they are not cheap.

A great way to use boring old marines too.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 05 2014, 12:29

My bits box has yielded glorious results.

I have discovered enough torsos and legs for the entire army. Arms are questionable, as are weapons, but for now we have good progress.

More progress has in fact occoured, and resulted in these:

Legion of the Damned Wip3_zps4370a026

So here were have the eight squad sergeants.
Top left is one of the two with the Animus Malorum, then we have three Power Weapons, followed by three Power Fists, and then the third Animus Malorum.
Each Sergeant has a Combi-Weapon of some kind, a mix of Plasma and Melta weaponry.
You can see here an advancement on the previous images, in that I've atarted more work on sculpting the fire effect. I think from these you can see how the fire is starting to shape up - at this stage of course these are just the large licks of flame. Several smaller licks will be added to finish out the effects once the larger licks are complete.

Legion of the Damned Wip4_zps4f46f019

Here we have most of the special weapons Marines.
Three Flamers and a Plasmagun at the top (with an OLD Ork Plasmagun because it was all I had), followed by two Multi-Meltas, two Heavy Flamers, and then three Heavy Bolters.
As with the Boltgun parts of the Sergeant Combi-Weapons, all barrels have been drilled out where appropriate.
I've had to use what heavy weapons I had available, which is why the three Heavy Bolters are so varied, and why the two Multi-Meltas are from Land Speeders, and the Heavy Flamers from Sentinels.
There's some fire work started here, but the main issue that came out was a lot of the Marine arms I still have lying around are broken or imperfect, so these imperfections will be covered with the sculpted fire effect.
I've decided to leave shoulder pads off completely, both for streamlining (the area being covered with flames instead) and to save on finding enough pads.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15 2015, 13:59

One of the sergeants reasonably complete from a modelling perspective, so I've done the first bits of painting and thought I'd throw it up.
It gives a very good idea of how the rest of the army will turn out.

Legion of the Damned Wip5_zpsf472709a

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15 2015, 14:16

Ghostly!

Looks good. Very good!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15 2015, 20:14

MMmm, they certainly would not look like normal marines but I would go with the traditional bones on black armour wreathed in red flames....that way everyone will know who they are!

I have a few metal LotD shoulderpads...would you like them?
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior
barenone

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15 2015, 21:24

I love the legion since they first popped up forever and a day ago. Back when space marine was one army lol. Anyway I always like the idea of using a spinal column down the center of a land speeder. Also using a chrome silver with a chrome red and a little dry brush orange at the ends of the Armour pieces makes a great "on fire" look
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 10:43

Thanks for the comments guys.

@Tengu, thanks for the offer, but I'm happy as is. I'm going over the shoulders with the flames anyway, so I'm not actually using shoulder pads!

I've finally got some updates.

First of all, the original guy all done:

Legion of the Damned LotD1_zps9phclq19

I went simple for the bases. I've decided to go with the slightly larger base to cover myself in case there is a change (and if not, oh well), and again been quite lazy on the basing itself. I've pretty much stuck the base to textured floor tiles and then cut around them for the right shape.
Eh. It works for me.

I've got two more of the unit Sergeants done too:

Legion of the Damned LotD2_zpsfod7eqsv

So on the left we have a Combi-Melta/Power Fist combo, and on the right a Combi-Plasma/Animus Malorum set.

I'm liking the look more now that more of them are finished up and standing next to each other, so I'll try to power through with a few more soon. There's a bit of a slog to work through doing all the flame effects bit by bit, so its slow going.

@barenone I wish I could go that sort of route! But I'm sticking to a proper LotD Detachment, so I don;t have the option!

Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08 2015, 19:42

These looks superb squid!

I wish I had as much converting and modelling talent as you have in your little finger! The flames are really very very good.

I will have to get myself across to pompey and hope to see them in the flesh perhaps!

Look forward to seeing how this pans out boss.

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09 2015, 12:39

Dragontree wrote:
I will have to get myself across to pompey and hope to see them in the flesh perhaps!

I can certainly find a way to make you welcome! (arthough this army only has THREE completed models, and won't be on a table or in a viewable position for a LONG time).

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeTue May 12 2015, 11:43

Compared to my other stuff, this is a REALLY slow build....

anyway, finally got some more to add.
Two more Sergeants and the first heavy weapons Legionaire.

Legion of the Damned LotD3_zpsjmlwpqqz

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01 2015, 15:49

New additions!

First of all, a Heavy QWeapojns trooper, Sergeant and classic era Plasmagun wielder!

Legion of the Damned LotD4_zps8md4bnrh

Adding on to that two more of thre heavy Bolter troopers and another Sergeant:

Legion of the Damned LotD5_zpsxbzfjtvy

And lastly a Multimelta trooper and another Sergeant with Power Fist:

Legion of the Damned LotD6_zpsr5obtxjq

All in all, a good batch to add, more than doubling the current count.

More troopers in the works of course, and hopefully I'll be able to add some basic level Boltgun wielding Legionnaires soon.

Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02 2015, 08:10

I want those. -throws money at you-
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16 2015, 13:22

Two Heavy Flamers and a Bolter Trooper:

Legion of the Damned LotD7_zpsbancuebv

And three Flamers:

Legion of the Damned LotD8_zps68gcsobu

CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16 2015, 15:08

They look good.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16 2015, 15:20

This is what makes me believe in humanity
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20 2015, 15:07

I started work on one of the central pieces of the army.

Thematically, I didn't want the army to simply being the ghost chapter who appear and kill. I wanted a central figure for them to come to the aid of, and the best option for this was an Inquisitor.

An early version of the army list actually featured an Assassin, but I quickly chnged my mind and decided on the image of a lone Inquisitor standing against an enemy horde, suddenly finding the spectral forces of the lost Astartes charging alongside side like Aragorn and the Army of the Dead.

So I finally started working on the Inquisitor, in his Terminator Armour.
The model is actually based on one of the older plastic Termiantors cut up and reposed (which fits considering the best of the army are bits-box salvage too). The legs have been reposed, and the torso stripped down. You can see here the back have been completely flipped both to add bulk and to position the vents at the top where I just think they look better. It also gives more room for head in a style better resembling the Grey Knights. I've added a Power Armour torso just to get some variation on the chest plate emblem.
There's some green stuff work still to do to finish off the torso, but I'll also soon be starting the arms, which will feature a large, lovely Daemonhammer and a Psycannon.

Legion of the Damned Inquisitor%20wip1_zpsctbnbfah

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20 2015, 16:33

And here is his hammer.

The head is a bit large, but I'm happy with it being oversized.

Legion of the Damned Inquisitor%20wip2_zpsey1svyi4

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22 2015, 19:58

Inquisitor coming together, nearly done.

Here you can see the full body with hammer arm. The hammer really does look a little big....
Some green stuff smoothing still to finish on the body, then I'll add the second arm, seen here with its Psycannon.
Definitely think I'll add some more Inquisition paraphenalia, something to really add to his look.

Legion of the Damned Inquisitor%20wip3_zpsocg0fw8a

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28 2015, 11:21

The force finally has its central figure, the lone heroic Inquisitor standing against the tide of Chaos. Alone against an army, the spectral chapter will always come to his aid.

Legion of the Damned Inquisitor%20wip4_zpssldeq3v2

And here he is alongside the members of the Legion I've finished so far.

Legion of the Damned LotD9_zpsxwkydz4w

The army list has this guy as an Inquisitoral Detachment of his own, alongside two Legion of the Damned Detachment - each one ten man squad and three five man squads, all tooled up with heavy weapons, special weapons and well armed Sergeants, and each of the two Legion Detachments containing an Animus Malorum. The Inquisitor himself will be a Malleus Inquisitor, wielding the Tome of Vethric (random special rule depending on your opponent).

I have 15 more Legionnaires built and ready for painting, so this army is actually speeding towards completion!
After that, I have five more bodies built and ready (these waiting on a Multimelta and four Meltaguns to be found somewhere), and then I only need ten more standard Legionnaires, and these are on their way......

I can not wait to get these guy onto a table........

thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03 2015, 14:30

This is amazing. One of the best plogs on this site for me.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07 2015, 14:38

More stuff!

Two standard Troopers and the FINAL Heavy Weapon Legionairre! The final Multimelta joins the army!

Legion of the Damned LotD10_zpskbq9vhgo

And two more bolter Legionnaires and a Meltagun.

Legion of the Damned LotD11_zpsvy2zvj5q

14 more are on the table mid-paint, meaning to finish off the entire 1800pts I just need to go out and pick up ten more Marine bodies.
To eBay!

CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07 2015, 16:02

Looks great.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07 2015, 16:03

"Ah screw it" I said, and continued painting.

Three Legionnaires:

Legion of the Damned LotD12_zpsj9okjfq8

Three more, including one Meltagun:

Legion of the Damned LotD13_zpsojpnhdmf

And three more:

Legion of the Damned LotD14_zpsafgdozuy

Three more, plus another Meltagun:

Legion of the Damned LotD15_zpsbrqrhi21

And two more, making thirty:

Legion of the Damned LotD16_zpsbk3okh3s

Ten more needed, including one more Meltagun (weapon and body acquired already, just got to get legs, arms, and nine more guys).

Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19 2015, 00:44

Looking great Squidmaster - I really dig the monochrome paint job, and you picked an excellent colour. Very spectral.

Ia ia fhar n'gathlan p'glui Cthu-- sorry. I get a bit of an Elder Thing vibe from them, too Smile

On the bases, though, I can't help but feel the white detracts from the models a bit, especially since the models themselves are quite light. Would you consider a darker base, potentially with some OSL to sell the ghost look? Personally I'd be tempted to try the classic sand painted dark grey with a couple of larger rocks, with green OSL highlights converging on the centre... if you happen to have an airbrush you could probably knock out a batch job for the whole army in a couple of afternoons!

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legion of the Damned   Legion of the Damned I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legion of the Damned
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next