THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Corsair type theme, need help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Helequin
Slave
Helequin

Corsair type theme, need help Empty
PostSubject: Corsair type theme, need help   Corsair type theme, need help I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 15:17

So, if I am ever going to get my DE up an running, I need a coherent plan for how everything is going to look. And yes, I could use some help.

To start off, I love the fluff and overall looks of the Kabal and Cult units, and pretty much hate everything to do with the Covens. I love the sleek, precise and deadly air of the Dark Eldar. The twisted and grotesque can go. I suppose my Archon might be a bit vain Razz

That lead me to the idea of painting and modelling my army as an independent Eldar force, perhaps even one which has managed to settle some part of a planet somewhere.

This leaves some models I need to find replacements for of course, and I'd love to stick to the sleek, deadly and even a more natural look. Perhaps wild creatures can take the place of Grots, Wracks and the malformed Khymera too.

Some ideas:
Grotesques - using either Fenrisian Wolves or converted Wraithblades as counts as. Second one could cause problems if I ever use Eldar allies to broaden the corsair theme.

Wracks - I have no good thoughts here, the Wolves are too big and probably going to be used for Grots. Dark Elf Executioners are okay I suppose. Any sources with something that would go with the Wolves for the grots?

Haemies - Warlocks? Again, that could cause confusion with Eldar allies. No other ideas yet

Beast Packs - I actually like the Clawed Fiend and Razorwings, while the Khymera are okay. The prices on all of these aren't so friendly. Might have to hope for a GW plastic release here.

Any model suggestions or other sources would be helpful!

Past that, I haven't even begun to think up a colour scheme. I am thinking kit might be highly individualistic depening on the armor of each unit, while guns and vehicles would be more uniform in appearance. Suggestions to get me started with colours would be great too.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Corsair type theme, need help   Corsair type theme, need help I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 16:21

Well if you dont like using Grots, you can go with Eldar allies (spiritseer, wraiths). The money cost is lower, the points cost is similar and it does bring something needed into the list. It would actually be fluffy for what you are suggesting.

I myself have in mind a Corsair band (DE and CWE). Until a Corsair update hits. I imagined them as allied units under one leadership. Thus all of them will bear the same unifying armour colour, but secondary colours will be unit-specific. Insignia will have slight alterations for each unit with the same base sigil.

I am going for black armour with a tint of purple on the edges. Secondary colours are currently Blood Red, Poisonous Green.

I am hoping to get a force that will feel like multiple bands under one banner. United, yet individual.

Guns have colours defined by their Type. Darklight are brightly glowing purple, Blasters are Dark Red, Heat lances are fiery, Splinters are Greenish. Not decided on shredders, but prolly steel-blue.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Corsair type theme, need help   Corsair type theme, need help I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 20:53

Im working on Exodites but Im thinking of Corsairs to maybe bulk it out technology wise?
Back to top Go down
Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior
Mr_Pink

PostSubject: Re: Corsair type theme, need help   Corsair type theme, need help I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26 2014, 12:23

I've said this on other painting advice threads, but it's much easier if you show us some examples of colour schemes you like that suggestions could jump off from. Asking someone "what colour should I use?" can result in "I think you should use bright yellow and a really hideous brown." give us a little help at the direction you're looking for.

Back to top Go down
http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/
Helequin
Slave
Helequin

PostSubject: Re: Corsair type theme, need help   Corsair type theme, need help I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27 2014, 03:27

A good point Mr. Pink, and part of the reason I didn't give anything more in my OP is I really had no idea myself even for a starting point.

The more I've look at the models, and the prevalence of grim-dark purply black DE, the more I want to take the Corsair theme toward bright, maybe even brazen tones.

Just today I was actually thinking of going towards a deep lacquer type red or blue for armor. If I kept the red darker, perhaps metals could be done in golds and bronzes instead of steel colours. I am then thinking of items like cloth, plumes and hair varying model to model.

It's a start of an idea anyway.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Corsair type theme, need help   Corsair type theme, need help I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27 2014, 04:33

As space pirate elves I would assume to see lots of white red and green with bronze and stuff.

PostSubject: Re: Corsair type theme, need help   Corsair type theme, need help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corsair type theme, need help
Page 1 of 1