THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Sliscus Lives

Go down 
+21
zizza1400
benth3bear
spellcheck2001
The Yak
Crazy_Irish
Evil Space Elves
Plastikente
Dragontree
Finn
Calyptra
Mr_Pink
Lord_Alino
Panic_Puppet
beerskunk
clively
aurynn
Bloodofthefallen2
Gobsmakked
The_Burning_Eye
Cavalier
Sky Serpent
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 23:09

So it's been over four years since the Dark Eldar were rereleased and about three and a half years since I decided that what the internet really needed was a great Dark Eldar forum. My army went on a transition, a journey if you will. From Venom spam to BeastStar with wild dances with our cousins, I never settled on one list.

I took a long time to settle on a paint scheme and after deciding that with Phil Kelly having painted his own Sky Serpents in orange and black that that would be the way to go.

I took you on a project log journey. I didn't paint finish anything.

Let's look back at my original ambition:

Sky Serpent wrote:
When I heard the Dark Eldar were finally being rereleased I was pretty happy. Now, anyone who tells you they’ve been waiting 12 years for the new Codex to be rereleased is lying, you don’t start waiting as soon as your ‘Dex is out (unless you’re a Nids player it seems) but I was there 12 years ago. I started 40k with 3rd edition and the Dark Kin were my first army and you never forget your first love (photos of my old models to follow at some point), why I chose them I can’t tell and to be honest I haven’t used them in the last 8 but I have a shoebox full of awful models to show I was there. Since being back in the hobby fulltime I’ve been looking for an army to become my ‘main force’ and after the new models came online in grainy shots I knew I’d be happy evermore.

Duke Sliscus The Serpent. As soon as I saw that name appear in a Warseer rumour thread I knew I’d found the leader and theme for my army, even if his rules and model were awful, I’d use him.

I like heraldric figures. I like renegades and rebels. I like space pirates. I like characters with force and charisma. I like pirates who’s personal colours are the flayed skin of an Imperial Admiral. I like debauchery. I like concubines. I like Ziggy Stardust. Turns out the Duke was everything I ever wanted. Oh and his rules are pretty good too.

See I like themed armies. I find it impossible to build an army without some form of back story or idea driving the army on; you’ll probably find my Exodites and Eshin Skaven a testament to this. With the Duke at the helm I have a reason, a purpose. Instead of a simple Kabal I will be fielding the Sky Serpents, an array of renegades and outcasts, drawn to the banner and charisma of The Serpent. Realspace will never be the same again.

I guess I should give you a slight warning: I don’t paint that fast. I like to take my upmost time on each model. Each squad took four hours to glue together, time spent separating the pieces out to avoid duplicates and long periods drawn out deciding on poses. You will see conversions. You will see (hopefully) good painting. You won’t see a finished army by Easter. In fact I won’t start painting until I have my Hellions and Ravagers finished so that every spare piece of plastic is used for something.

Anyway, I rambled on more than Jervis Johnson on Speed. Let’s see some end product. On the next post you will see an army list and more indulgent ramblings and then hopefully some models. I’ll also be revisiting these first few posts to ‘Jazz’ them up a bit.

See you in the Webway.

Something that never changed was my love for the Duke. I fielded him in every game possible for three years before Baron Sathonyx whispered in my ear that he was the one to take the army forward on the competitive scene.

He did well.

And so we have a new Codex, and any mention of my darling Sliscus is reduced to the blurb of a combat drugs card. Is it heresy? Disappointing, but now Duke can join me in any guise he wants, he can pick up a Blaster if he so wants, grab a husk blade. One thing I know is that he is back.

Sliscus Lives. Join me on a voyage of slow painting and over realised ambitions that maybe, just maybe will be finish in a painted army that the Duke deserves.

Below is the list I will be working on:

Sky Serpent, DE RR 1850 wrote:
Archon, Husk blade, Shadow field, Webway portal, 160pts
8 Sslyth, 1 Lhaemean, Raider, Dark lance, Splinter racks, 285pts

5 Kabalite Warriors, Venom, additional Splinter cannon, 105pts

5 Scourges, 4 Heat lances, 120pts
5 Scourges, 4 Haywire blasters, 120pts
Razorwing Jetfighter, 2 Dark lances, 140pts
6 Reavers, 2 Blasters, 2 Cluster caltrops, 146pts
6 Reavers, 2 Blasters, 2 Cluster caltrops, 146pts
6 Reavers, 2 Cluster caltrops, 126pts

Voidraven Bomber, 2 Void lances, 160pts
Ravager, 3 Dark lances, 125pts

As ever, I welcome comments and critique and if I can help you with anything, please let me know.

Sky.

Sliscus Lives 98741EB3-C3E7-4F74-BCA2-00DC0AE03583

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems

Last edited by Sky Serpent on Sat Dec 27 2014, 20:13; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 11:26

Wow... these guys look awesome. Phenomenal selection of bits and that orange is gorgeous. So glad to see you rocking these dudes again Sky. BTW the Dire Avenger torso almost escaped my notice... looks so good!

Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 15:34

@Cavalier, thanks Cav for the kind words. I'm really excited to get this army going again. I'm happy with the orange but I think it needs one final, final highlight and some wash in the recess to really make it pop.

~

So Wyches are dead. I've loved Wyches since forever, my favourite unit back in 1998 and I went to do a Wych army before the Archites came along. There's something awesome about fierce, drug fuelled gladiatorial girls.

This is a good bye.

They don't have a place in my army any more. Stripping their haywires made sense from a fluff perspective but with no improvement in abilities or points decrease they won't be making their way into my army for some time unfortunately.

Hello Kabalite Warriors! Fifteen of them to be precise who you can see assembled together in the first post. I see these as Duke's followers, renegades from the Kabals of Commorragh, outcasts of Craftworld society, blind poets who are eager and thirsty enough to follow Sliscus.

Most of them started life as a nine man unit that I used with Duke with the idea that they were a unit of dark fashionistas and I think that idea has now simply evolved. I want every unit in the army to be unique and this is no different.

I broke them up into smaller groups for a better look. A small game - can you guess where all the different parts came from for each Kabalite?

Sliscus Lives 1CCE2AA2-1FC2-4B03-8789-B7347CEB90AA

Sliscus Lives C8ABA569-328B-4A35-838A-2EAE99092690

Sliscus Lives D9CC18A4-BB36-437E-B45C-88B03814C790

Sliscus Lives 310B4CB8-78DA-4495-91AB-2F896F09DE0F

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems

Last edited by Sky Serpent on Mon Nov 10 2014, 17:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 15:46

Well I'll admit to not being an expert, particularly on fantasy elvish models, but I can definitely see:
-a female inquisitor head
-what looks like a genestealer magus cape?
-medusa legs
-eldar heavy weapon team targeting system

none of that counts the DE range part swaps!

Looking good though Sky, glad to see your enthusiasm rebooted (as mine has been!)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 18:06

Heaps of character, Sky, and nice to see something different

I am glad that you are back at it.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Bloodofthefallen2
Hellion
Bloodofthefallen2

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 18:32

These look fantastic. colours work really well

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t10673-bloodofthefallens-project-log#118504

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/dragonforgestudio
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21 2014, 14:56

@The_Burning_Eye, no inquisitors or genestealers here. The bits you're getting confused on are Lahmian parts from the Coven Throne.

@Gobsmakked, thanks Gobs, glad to be back at it.

@Bloodofthefallen2, thanks Blood, it will be interesting when the tertiary and complementary colours come into it.

~

Sliscus Lives B6F4BD44-3AEB-40B3-9F4D-4E4229292FC5_1

Lord Archon Tom Jones wrote:
Spy on me baby use satellite
Infrared to see me move through the night
Aim gonna fire shoot me right
Aim gonna like the way you fight
And I love the way you fight

Now you found the secret code
I use to wash away my lonely blues well
So I can't deny or lie cause you're a
Sslyth bomb Sslyth bomb you're a Sslyth bomb uh, huh
You can give it to me when I need to come along give it to me
Sslyth bomb Sslyth bomb you're my Sslyth bomb
And baby you can turn me on baby you can turn me on

Sslyth bomb.

I've enjoyed making these guys although I don't think my wallet did (these are from England, not China). They're converted using a plethora of weapons and parts from all the different Dark Eldar sets and some different poses here and there; I dropped one and his head pinged off, nowhere to be found...

My plan for these is to paint each Sslyth differently, using poisonous snakes as a reference.

Game play wise they have been good, they WWP down with Duke and then shoot up something and become a pain to deal with. Never underestimate what they can do, especially in assault - ask a couple of Iyanden Wave Serpents if you don't believe me.

Until next time.

Sliscus Lives ACEE657C-6D44-42CC-BE2B-D4D2FFA2CFDE

Sliscus Lives A4572BF0-EB4C-4EED-9034-13C7650F0457

Sliscus Lives 68AF21EF-E027-451A-A1CE-D18B716056A6

Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21 2014, 16:16

Hello Sky, really nice work. I would like to ask about your sslyth, the different poses were achieved by heating up the resin and twisting? :-)
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite
clively

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21 2014, 20:54

Those look very good. Glad to see that you have found a way to keep the Duke going.

I have my army is also primarily orange. I think it makes them look more dangerous. I'll have to start my own project log.

Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22 2014, 05:31

Sky Serpent wrote:

Sliscus Lives B6F4BD44-3AEB-40B3-9F4D-4E4229292FC5_1

Hmmph, so this is why all of the Court models are 'temporarily out of stock'! Evil or Very Mad

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
beerskunk
Slave
beerskunk

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22 2014, 18:29

Looking good Sky Serpent - love the color choices.

...and the Groevian Fiends are coming for you, Sliscus. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 24 2014, 20:48

I'm impressed - these all look fantastic, Sky! Love the conversions. What sort of colours are you planning on using as the accent colours to the black and orange? I also really like the idea of doing all the snakes differently using real-life guides - are you tempted to model a hood onto one to do a cobra? (scratch that, I'm pinching that idea. When I get ahold of a Sslyth...)

Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 24 2014, 21:38

I like the kabalite with the cape, "I'm so fancy!"
Back to top Go down
Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior
Mr_Pink

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26 2014, 17:41

Has anyone ever pushed back on the name of this Project Log/Your Title on the forum?

Every time I see either one of them, I'm a bit offended. Just wondering if anyone else has ever told you that.

Generally, I feel like there's a better, less-possibly-inflamatory way to say that you think Sliscus is cool without alienating anyone.

Just something you should give some thought.

Back to top Go down
http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 27 2014, 02:04

I agree with Mr Pink.

I'm sure it never occurred to Sky Serpent that anybody might find the phrase objectionable. I've never said anything party because I think Serpent is innocently using part of the vernacular without really thinking about it, and partly because I've never precisely defined why it sets my teeth on edge, so it didn't seem worth it potentially stir people up over it.

But here we are.

Thinking about it now, nobody reverses it. I don't think you'd hear someone claim to be "straight for Lady Malys." I think that's an indication of a problem.

It may be there's an implication here that you can choose to be gay - in this case, for the dashing Duke - which would mean that you could choose to not be gay, which is a premise that leads to all sorts of discrimination and those horrific "therapy" camps.

It also claims ownership, in a trivializing fashion, of an integral part of a lot of peoples' identities, one that has made them face obstacles straight people in this country never have to think about. I'm white. I would never claim to be black for something, or Muslim/Jewish/Hindu/etc for something, or female for something, or whatever, because those people face challenges that I do not, and know better than to make assumptions about them. I've read the news stories and the accounts and listened to my friends, but I don't truly know what it's like in their shoes.

Back to top Go down
Finn
Kabalite Warrior
Finn

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 27 2014, 07:18

Personally, I don't find it offensive, but I have to agree that there are other ways to express fondness of The Duke in a more politically correct manner.

That said, I always thought that enforcing political correctness on Dark Eldar forums is a funny little paradox Smile

aurynn
Incubi

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 27 2014, 09:08

I see nothing offensive. The word was here long, long before its "modern" meaning and I for one refuse to give priority to the modern meaning just because someone was lazy to invent an original word. Does anyone feel offended when they see "gayparade"?
And meaning is more important than the form. Guys we are talking here about genetic engineering of the most horrid form, drugs, disfigurements, pain and hedonism beyond anyone's imagination and you seriously feel THIS is any kind of issue?
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 27 2014, 09:55

I very much agree there is an issue to be discussed here.

However, this is Sky Serpents project log and I think we should leave it there for now.

Regardless of the above, loving the work SS and can't wait to see those sllyth get a lick of paint. Will they also be in orange or are you going to differentiate them with a different scheme as bodyguards? Or just rely on the poisonous snake them for the difference?

Either way great work.

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 27 2014, 10:00

It doesn't offend me personally, but I can see how it may be to some, regardless of the original meaning of the word.

Hot for Sliscus would probably convey a similar meaning without having the same potential to offend.

That being said, this is a project log about the models, not the choice of title - I'm sure Sky is mature enough to take on board what's been said without needing to derail this thread any further.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior
Mr_Pink

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 27 2014, 12:57

It was never my intent to derail; just something I'd been thinking and not saying for a while. Definitely could've PM'ed it, but I also thought it's sometimes good to say this stuff out loud so any younger/less experienced forum users can see that the casual use of the word "gay" is not okay.

Back on topic, I love the orange scheme, and that wall of Sslyth is INSANE.

Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02 2015, 19:08

It sure has been a while since I have updated the project log and as it's the new year I have some updates for you. First though I'd like to tackle the previous name of the project log which I was going to change back to it's original name 'Sliscus Lives' anyway.

Gay For Sliscus is a term that I have used for a while and is an amalgamation, birthed from several origins. I first heard the term used by the band Gay for Johnny Depp and have heard it used for a number of years but never thought it was used in a derogatory manner; we all know my passion for Sliscus (which is obviously non-erotic) and I saw it expressed by our very own Thor665 (whom I am placing no blame on this term's offence to others) which I then subsequently stole for my rank.

By using that name I never sought to alienate, offend or upset anyone. It has been interesting to hear this discussion played out and I would like to keep the discussion open until it is finished and then remove the posts so as not to derail the thread. So please, if you have further replies on the topic then please let me know.

~

@aurynn, this was a very simple task. I didn't bend the bodies at all, the positioning of their body on the base and change of head created the illusion for this.

@clively, let me know when you start yours. Smile

@Gobsmakked, well we knew they were going to be popular. Wink

@beerskunk, ha, I'll lead them away again I'm sure.

@Panic_Puppet, I plan to do a Sslyth Queen in the future and I think a cobra hood might be good for that. Accent colour will be a slate grey for the guns and some neon colours for hair and tubes.

@Lord_Alino, they're all fancy!

@Dragontree, thanks! Think I explained the Sslyth paint idea though.

@Mr_Pink, it's going to be fun to paint.

~

So do you know what's hot right now? Scourges!

I started with two units and liked them so much I added a third, thanks to Panic_Puppet's secret santa gift. I've tried to differentiate them from each other by giving each squad their own identity through wing choice.

Sliscus Lives B5C41FA1-A431-45FF-925B-6FF7493A23F6_1

First squad has Heat Lances and bat wings which I will be painting in various shades of browns and greys.

Sliscus Lives 9FE81FEB-53FA-45FD-A12F-198DDB1D2D41

Haywire Blasters are now in vogue with a feathered squad. I'm going to use real life birds for the wing colours, from eagles to maybe even a fun parrot one. Suggestions are always welcome.

Sliscus Lives 6A1E5CB1-0A73-4978-AF95-436F5ABA194A

And last but not least, this unit favours the humble Haywire Blaster too but I have used the small Plague Drone wings to get a dragonfly look. These will be painted in purples and turquoises with a hint of metallics. I also went with an old Raider pilot head for the Solarite.

Sliscus Lives FDD382E1-4B32-4924-A6B1-A5D815DC1562

Final treat(?) is a very WIP Duke Sliscus.

Thanks for viewing guys and gals, as always I appreciate comments and feedback. Smile

Sky.

Back to top Go down
Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior
Mr_Pink

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02 2015, 20:33

Oh man! The differentiating the squads using bat or bird wings seems like an obviously awesome solution. I was completely surprised and delighted by the blight drone dragonfly conversion! GENIUS!

also, thanks for saying some words on the naming front. The way you came to it made sense, and I never thought you were intentionally looking to offend. I just meant to point it out in case no one had Smile

Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04 2015, 13:12

Awesome work - I really like the coordinated wings for your scourge squads. I've also toyed with the idea of running a Sslyth bomb, but I'm too cheap to invest the money - currently looking for things to convert instead. I have some spare heads and necks from a Dark Elf Hydra, but I think they might be too big for the scale of the arms and weapons. I've also got my eye on a Bloodwrack Medusa to be a Sslyth queen...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04 2015, 13:23

Oh man those Scourges with the insect wings are brilliant. That archon looks likes its going to be killer as well... Awesome to see some new stuff Sky, great stuff as always.

Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04 2015, 13:58

@Mr_Pink, the Plague Drone wings were a bit of a happy find, I'd been looking at the idea of dragonfly wings and then I eventually stumbled upon them.

@Plastikente, I think hydra heads are about 4 times the size of a Sslyth head so not really possible I believe. The Lizardmen range might have some answers though. I'm sure our Sslyth queens will both be awesome. Smile

@Cavalier, cheers Cav, I'm glad you're liking it all too.

~

Sliscus Lives 5CFBAF73-53A4-4EF5-A7E0-527766EE2B96

Nobility.

I've added a few Trueborn to the fray. There aren't that many crazy conversions in the squad, their capes are from Dark Elf dark riders; my favourite part is the nod to the old times with an old warrior helmet.

That's all for now, hope to get updates coming soon though, I still have yet to show you the vehicles and 18 Reavers.

Sky.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sliscus Lives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sliscus Lives   Sliscus Lives I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sliscus Lives
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next