THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Competitive Dark Eldar List

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Corbulo
Slave

Competitive Dark Eldar List Empty
PostSubject: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26 2011, 16:02

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make an ultimate shooty list for my Dark Eldar. I've decided to go ahead and start working on these dark pointy eared guys for the foreseeable future and I thought I would start them off with a bang. I've come up with this list and was wondering if it is any good. I played DE wayyyy back when and I'm making my return. Let me know what you think.

Dark Eldar Roster

HQ: Haemonculus - 65 pts - Venom Blade, Casket of Flensing

Elite: 5 Kabalite Trueborn - 175 pts - Dark Lance x2 w Venom - Splinter Cannons x2

Elite: 7 Kabalite Trueborn - 129 pts - Shardcarbine x5, Splinter Cannon x2

Elite: 7 Kabalite Trueborn - 134 pts - Dark Lance x2

Troops: 19 Kabalite Warriors - 210 pts - Splinter Cannon x2, Sybarite

Troops: 5 Kabalite Warriors - 110 pts w Venom - Splinter Cannons x2

Heavy Support: Ravager - 115 pts - Flickerfield

Total Roster Cost: 1498

Good, bad, ugly?

I know I could trim down the 2 Trueborn squads and min max them but I put a few extra bodies into the squads so that they would hopefully live a little longer and it's some added fun to the list. I figured I'd put the HQ with the 5 man TB squad with 2 DL so they hopefully don't disappear after 1 round of shooting (I'll do my best to put them in cover too). The TB w Carbines are there to fade back and shoot if I need to. The big 20 man squad is to grab an objective. They sit and shoot 2 turns and then move up and feet if they have to grab an objective.

Let me know what you guys think!

Corb
Back to top Go down
kenny3760
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26 2011, 16:45

It's a bit biased towards AI in my opinion.
You have an excess of splinter weapons but very little in the way of AT. You need more AT to open the transports, to allow your splinter fire to go to work. Compounding the little amount of AT (13 lances) is that they are on only 5 platforms one of which is static.
That gives your opponent 4 targets to take out and his transports are relatively safe, all they need to do is get out of range or LOS of the static trueborn and the game is as good as over.

There is a reason the blastborn/venom squad is so popular, it's so effective and you should probably be putting 3 units of 3 blasterborn in as your elites. Works out just slightly more expensive than your 3 elite choices.
Your warrior squads could probably be tooled with a blaster as well, or even better mount them in raiders for more AT, without FF's thay are cheaper than the venoms. Could even swap the blaster for a splinter cannon if you feel the need for more AI firepower.
The big blob is a lot of points for a relatively slow unit that really won't be pumping out much in the way of firepower unless the enemy charges straight into it. You could have 2 more venom squads with the points of it. I'd go something like this, trying to stick close to your theme.

Heami (50)

3 Blasterborn in twin cannon venom (x3) 438

5 Warriors in twin cannon venom (x2) 220
5 Warriors in raider (x4) 420

3 ravagers 315

Comes to 1443 so you can add in some SC's or blasters where you feel.
6 mobile scoring units, 22 darklight weapons on 10 platforms, 5 venoms and a ton of splinterfire from the warriors, with the option to add more special weapons.
Back to top Go down
Corbulo
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26 2011, 17:33

Interesting. Your changes definitely give me more fire power. That is quite a bit of darklight fire power, I like it. However what do you do with a list like this in a KP mission?

I have a question about venoms. Since you can't move 12" and shoot the guys inside, are people deep striking them and then disembarking and then shooting their blasters? Or do they move up with them, disembark and fire their blasters? Knowing full well they are going to die next turn and there won't be enough parts left over from the warriors to regrow them later (Fluffy wise) Smile

Corb
Back to top Go down
Raneth
Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26 2011, 17:51

Corbulo wrote:
Interesting. Your changes definitely give me more fire power. That is quite a bit of darklight fire power, I like it. However what do you do with a list like this in a KP mission?
MSU does suffer from having a ****load of KP. I usually just try to wipe out the opponent. pirat

Corbulo wrote:
I have a question about venoms. Since you can't move 12" and shoot the guys inside, are people deep striking them and then disembarking and then shooting their blasters? Or do they move up with them, disembark and fire their blasters? Knowing full well they are going to die next turn and there won't be enough parts left over from the warriors to regrow them later (Fluffy wise) Smile
I used to be one of those people who would disembark 1st or 2nd turn, just to get the shots in after moving 12". This resulted in the guys dying a lot. Following the cue of some of the other members of this forum I now keep them embarked longer and relegated the Venom to moving up to 6". It helped.

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26 2011, 19:25

At a glance it looks like kenny is spouting brilliance, I may repeat some of what he said though (sorry, kenny, I didn't read it enough to make sure). I run a very shooting oriented Kabal most of the time, so this project is near and dear to me;

Corbulo wrote:
HQ: Haemonculus - 65 pts - Venom Blade, Casket of Flensing
Evil or Very Mad I'm against this. Casket is fine if you want to play with it (I play with Shattershard, personally) but if you're putting him in with a stationary squad of 5...why is he geared for assault? Fear of Drop Pods or something? Meh.

Look, you're shooting - at 1500 you can embrace the shooting, let the enemy assault you if he will, but don't think that non-assault DE squads are going to do anything decent because of a Haem with a Venom Blade - it isn't happening. I'd say drop the blade, and frankly I'd go with a Liquifier first (best flamer in the game) or just leave him with the one shot weapon of your choice.

A consideration; 10 points more gets you Archon+Blaster - which is an excellent shooting HQ.

Quote :
Elite: 5 Kabalite Trueborn - 175 pts - Dark Lance x2 w Venom - Splinter Cannons x2
Not bad - a slight play on the old sniper boats of the last dex. I've used these to fine effect - though I will admit I prefer to have scoring units in them.

Quote :
Elite: 7 Kabalite Trueborn - 129 pts - Shardcarbine x5, Splinter Cannon x2

Elite: 7 Kabalite Trueborn - 134 pts - Dark Lance x2
Don't take this wrong, but I dislike both of these squads. You're giving up movement, you're tossing away points, and I'm not entirely sure what that Splinter squad is really going to accomplish.

Compare - your splinter squad here is 129.
For 125 I can get 5 Warriors w. Blaster in Venom w. extra S.Cannon.

So you have 15 shots within 18" and 8-12 additional shots depending on if you moved.
I get 8 shots within 12" 12 shots at 24" regardless of how much I move - I can move further, am a scoring unit, cost less, have a 5+ invulnerable save on a fast vehicle, and have anti-tank capability.

Since The Venom squad can definitely be in range at Round 1 - which is better at anti-infantry? Which is better all around to help your army win? It's a no brainer to my mind.

For the Trueblaster build and thoughts of that matter I'll refer you to Kenny's comments - but note that by spending

Quote :
Troops: 19 Kabalite Warriors - 210 pts - Splinter Cannon x2, Sybarite
The Sybarite is just there for the leadership boost? Meh - I think you're burning a lot of points for negligible gain. If you want an objective sitter why not just take 10 men and a lance? There are a lot of bodies you're paying for in this squad that are probably never going to help you do anything.

Quote :
These are okay. They would be better with Blasters though, as that would dramatically increase the list of things they could threaten during the course of the game. Plus, you need the anti-mech in my opinion.

Quote :
Ravalicious.

Quote :
I know I could trim down the 2 Trueborn squads and min max them but I put a few extra bodies into the squads so that they would hopefully live a little longer and it's some added fun to the list.
I did a post on this subject. The basic answer is - the extra bodies do not actually help you too much in the change from 3 to 5 as, generally speaking, anything that can target and kill 3 DE, can probably target and kill 5 DE just as easy - most squads overkill us to the tune of 7 dead - so you sort of need 8+ bodies to really make a difference in my opinion. I think that would be cost prohibitive.

My thoughts,
Thor.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26 2011, 19:28

Raneth wrote:
I used to be one of those people who would disembark 1st or 2nd turn, just to get the shots in after moving 12". This resulted in the guys dying a lot. Following the cue of some of the other members of this forum I now keep them embarked longer and relegated the Venom to moving up to 6". It helped.
Very Happy
Soon you can join me in mocking people who call them Suicideborn.

Back to top Go down
kenny3760
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27 2011, 19:04

Thor665 wrote:
At a glance it looks like kenny is spouting brilliance

Awesome, I may just sig that Shocked Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27 2011, 20:10

Go for it - then I'll have a built in rebuttal whenever I disagree with what you say;

"Upon further reading, Kenny is wearing his pants on his head." Wink

But, yeah, you hit the nail on the head very nicely here.

Back to top Go down
Corbulo
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29 2011, 17:48

Hey guys,

So I tried my list out last Friday and it went far better than I had hoped. I made a bat. rep here: https://thedarkcity.forummotion.com/t1108-1500-de-vs-orks#11264

I'm going to play the list a few more times but I don't think I'm going to make many changes. If I do they will be minor. I asked my opponent what he thought I should change and he said it is gross the way it is. hehehe

Corb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Dark Eldar List   Competitive Dark Eldar List I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Competitive Dark Eldar List
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: