THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Independant HQ arriving via WWP?

Go down 
+4
Count Adhemar
tibersky
The_Burning_Eye
teknopeasant
8 posters
AuthorMessage
teknopeasant
Slave

Independant HQ arriving via WWP? Empty
PostSubject: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19 2014, 02:11

I can't recall where I read it, but an Archon on the forum recently mentioned in another topic that an HQ using a WWP could deep strike INTO unit coherency with another unit already on the field. I'm wondering, is there any advantage to doing such?

I'm envisioning a list where an HQ selection (or maybe two) are well kitted out, and arrive via a WWP by him/herself, and essentially act as an aid/buff to units already on the field. The no-scatter DS would allow the HQ to go where needed as the game plays out in real-time. I don't have specifics in mind, but I thought this might be a way to give unit from say, Scalpel Squadron, a Haemy. haha There is just something delightfully Dark Eldar-y about the fluff of it! "Ride in a transport into battle? No, you go on ahead, I'll catch up." Twisted Evil

Concerns; I haven't been able to find the pertinent BRB/Codex rulings, but I am guessing that should they arrive via DS, join a unit, that unit now cannot Charge, regardless of whether the rest of the unit has also just arrived? Will the HQ arrive when needed? Will the HQ synergize properly with any join-able units? Does the HQ become prohibitively expensive by making him/her a Jack-of-All-Trades?

Just a thought I've been toying with, and would love some feedback. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19 2014, 08:53

Yeah the issue I can see with it is if you're deep striking the HQ via a WWP, why not just DS the whole unit. Unless they're carrying heavy weapons (why would you be?) then there's no offensive benefit to having the unit on the table being shot at only for the HQ to arrive.

Defensively I can see it being useful, DS into coherency with a unit falling back to give them a Ld boost perhaps, but you're assuming by then that you've a) got an Archon in reserve specifically waiting for this to happen, b) got units falling back by possibly turn 2 and c) have units on the table that have such poor leadership that they desperately need the boost in vulnerable positions.

it's a cliche but I'd consider point a) to be 'preparing to fail'. There's an old military saying that you don't reinforce failure. If a unit falls back, I consider it dead, if it rallies then great but I'm not going to send anything to help it out, just cut off the limb and move on (it's what any self respecting Archon would do - the haemies can always grow it back for you, haha!)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
tibersky
Hellion
tibersky

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19 2014, 09:38

Is it possible to deep strike it directly into a unit engaged in assault combat? I could see some usage for that. However we have to ponder if we can get a unit in combat by turn two/three, what is stopping our Archon from being in that same combat by the same turn?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19 2014, 09:46

tibersky wrote:
Is it possible to deep strike it directly into a unit engaged in assault combat?

No. IC's cannot join a unit that is locked in combat.

Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19 2014, 21:00

Sorry, but I think it doesn't work.
IC rules say that if a IC want to join in a unit, he need to MOVE within 2" by the units.

And when you Deep Strike, you are not Move, you are DEPLOY.

wording problem, that was be cool Sad
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19 2014, 21:52

Cerve wrote:
Sorry, but I think it doesn't work.
IC rules say that if a IC want to join in a unit, he need to MOVE within 2" by the units.

And when you Deep Strike, you are not Move, you are DEPLOY.

wording problem, that was be cool Sad

The problem is indeed that it says nowhere, that the model moved into coherency.
But there is a way ;-) Deep Strike inside a transport and disembark. This way the IC can move into unit coherency.
Sláinte

Hellion
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19 2014, 22:12

It could find use if you have a specific enemy character/monster/other vital unit that you have to kill. Then if you have a IC armed for the right thing (like a Succubus for charactar hunting) armed with a WWP you could present multiple threats by presenting a couple of units that could in short notice be joined by a dangerous character. This way the enemy character/monster/unit have a hard time making a safe choice. And then, the opponent usually make mistakes.

The_Hornet
Slave
The_Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20 2014, 12:46

I like the thought of this, imagine if you needed to buffer a flank to prevent it from breaking or to help tip the tides.

Here's a situation, you have decided to take a 3 full units of wyches/kabalites in raiders, turn one these all boost forward to get within range for turn two. In their shooting phase one of your raiders gets blown up and your unit is facing a lot of fire, you go to ground to prevent the enemy from wiping the unit.

Your turn two, a coven haemi with a WWP in a venom with two splinter cannons drops in and disembarks to join that unit, they can then fire freely that turn as the haemi gives them fearless.
The venom also provides fire support to the unit to bolster that side of the board.

It could be very useful don't you think?

Are there any other ways we could use this??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Independant HQ arriving via WWP?   Independant HQ arriving via WWP? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Independant HQ arriving via WWP?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: