THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

First game vs Tyrannocytes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

First game vs Tyrannocytes Empty
PostSubject: First game vs Tyrannocytes   First game vs Tyrannocytes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 03 2014, 15:53

Played a game last night against a local nid player trying an experimental list. He had 8 Tyrannocytes (new pods) and attempted a min-deployment with only Deathleaper on the field. Here's what he had in each pod
- 2x3 Warrior Broods
- 2x3 Pyrovore Broods
- 2x1 Carnifexes
- 2x1 Dimachaeron (Forgeworld blenders from hell)

While it was a close game overall... the main thing I wanted to bring up was my experience with the Tyrannocytes themselves.

Each pod will fire 15 shots at the closest, unengaged enemy unit and is BS2. If the person upgrades the weapon the number and type of shots will vary but base, it's 15 S5 shots. In all attempts, my opponent hit ~5 shots (average). The shots weren't bad overall and reminded me of our own volleys of fire from Venoms. The issue was S5 vs our T3 but my grotesques unit didn't care too much about it being T5.

While they cannot charge, they are still MC's and can fire all 15 shots at you during overwatch (I think...i need to relook at this now that I think of it). In Combat, they are WS2, I3, and only have 3 attacks. While they are AP2 (due to Smash USR), they are still hitting on 4's or 5's with for the most part. Grotesques, Lelith, and my Archon (agonizer) didn't have many issues addressing them.

------------------------------

After relooking up the rules for them (the guy conveniently forgot the whitedwarf at home and I only pulled up the Tyranocyte's dataslate on my phone), I see that we played a few things wrong. The big one being they cannot overwatch. They can fire all 5 guns at different targets (if equidistant) but it's like a VWB and fire at the very end of the shooting phase.

So for me, these aren't a huge threat. They are deadly when they first come in (especially with the Deathleaper's pheromone trails preventing scatter); however, afterwards, they are just another slow MC - but extremely weak in melee.

Has any one else had some experiences playing against such? I'm curious to hear what others have thought with them.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: First game vs Tyrannocytes   First game vs Tyrannocytes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 03 2014, 18:47

I haven't used the new ones yet, but regularly did before. I consider them a distraction, and if they kill something it's a nice bonus. They are primarily a delivery system to prevent Pyrovores, Dimachaerons, etc., from getting blown away before they get into position, or for getting a big shooty blob in position for a broadside. After which, the pod can drift around and make a nuisance of itself - hem in units, block LoS, and occasionally shoot something. They are not insignificant, but no, I wouldn't call them a huge threat.

As for the 15 shots (5x3) vs. their being MC's, I think an FAQ might be in line for sorting that.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: First game vs Tyrannocytes   First game vs Tyrannocytes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 03 2014, 22:03

Gobsmakked wrote:
As for the 15 shots (5x3) vs. their being MC's, I think an FAQ might be in line for sorting that.
I think their special rule allowing them to fire is pretty specific in allowing all 5 weapons to be used in one shooting phase.
During overwatch though there is nothing preventing them from firing 2 of their weapons just like any other MC.

Thanks for the info on the playtest llama, wicked to hear they weren't too scary!

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

PostSubject: Re: First game vs Tyrannocytes   First game vs Tyrannocytes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 03 2014, 22:25

Laughingcarp wrote:
Gobsmakked wrote:
I think their special rule allowing them to fire is pretty specific in allowing all 5 weapons to be used in one shooting phase.
During overwatch though there is nothing preventing them from firing 2 of their weapons just like any other MC.

Thanks for the info on the playtest llama, wicked to hear they weren't too scary!

You are correct the rules state that they can fire all 5 shots but it says they can only be fired at the very end of the shooting phase and "no other time". So I interpret that as no overwatch.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: First game vs Tyrannocytes   First game vs Tyrannocytes I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 04 2014, 02:42

Even for Monstrous Creatures, I thought the rule specified that they may only fire two weapons in the shooting phase. We've been playing that in my club as only one gun for overwatch. Same with Tau overwatch from suits. Is that not how you guys run overwatch?
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

PostSubject: Re: First game vs Tyrannocytes   First game vs Tyrannocytes I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 04 2014, 14:50

Specific to Monstrous Creatures (not the new Nid pods)....

The BRB states that the Monstrous Creature unit type can fire up to 2 of their weapons each shooting phase; however, it must fire at the same target (Splitfire overrides this of course).

Overwatch rules state that it is resolved as a normal shooting attack but in the enemy's Assault phase.

Based on those - RAW would be that MC's can fire 2 in the shooting phase (at the same target) but only 1 during overwatch (since it's not the shooting phase).

That's how i've played it myself but this post made me double check - which isn't a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First game vs Tyrannocytes   First game vs Tyrannocytes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First game vs Tyrannocytes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: