THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Why do people like the Armour of Misery?

Go down 
+10
Korwey
Vindicavi
Barking Agatha
Grub
Jimsolo
Azdrubael
ShadowcatX
cluricaunne
Sigmaril
The Shredder
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 15:40

Jimsolo wrote:
I run into gargs occasionally.  In most cases actually, I prefer poison, since it can give you rerolls to wound more often than you will run into gargs.

How do you get rerolls to wound when shooting with poison? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 17:30

Lol, sorry for the lack of clarity. That part was just talking about poison vs fleshbane in general (although I suppose I really mean to say in melee).
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 17:36

Jimsolo wrote:
Lol, sorry for the lack of clarity.  That part was just talking about poison vs fleshbane in general (although I suppose I really mean to say in melee).

Ah, shame, I'd like rerolls to wound with all my poison shooting. Wink

With regard to poison being better in melee, I'd say it depends on the strength of the model. S4+, poison is probably better - since you're likely to get rerolls on at least some thing.

With S3, you'll be getting rerolls so rarely with the current poison rules that you're probably better off with Fleshbane.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 18:27

Many of our models that have poison weapons though, can get a +1 S pretty easy.

Even without that, I've found the odds of getting the poison reroll is going to be higher than the odds of running into a garg.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 19:37

Jimsolo wrote:
Many of our models that have poison weapons though, can get a +1 S pretty easy.

I assume you're referring to Furious Charge? If so, I've included that in the above. You really need to get up to S5 to get meaningful rerolls with poison.

If you're not referring to FC, then is there another way to get +1S (other than getting lucky with combat drugs)?
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 21:03

Combat drugs, weapons, and Latest Experiments (although it isn't like Grots need it!).

Do you see lots of gargantuan creatures in your meta?  I find myself FC'ing GEQ units way, way more often than charging Gargs.  The only gargs I really see fielded don't wind up in assault much anyhow, since they've got teleport powers and Hellstorm template D weapons.

However, back on topic: no, the Armor is probably worse than the Kiss. But I can only take one artifact per HQ, and in a list not built around the artifact, the only reason not to bring the Helm is if I have Eldar allies. And if I have Eldar allies, the Armor plus Shriek is too good to pass up for the Kiss.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 21:16

Jimsolo wrote:
Combat drugs, weapons, and Latest Experiments (although it isn't like Grots need it!).

Heh, I like Latest Experiments. Kinda sad that Urien doesn't give you a reroll or something on it though - seems like it would fit his fluff pretty well and would make up for his horrible Warlord Trait.

Jimsolo wrote:
However, back on topic: no, the Armor is probably worse than the Kiss.  But I can only take one artifact per HQ, and in a list not built around the artifact, the only reason not to bring the Helm is if I have Eldar allies.  And if I have Eldar allies, the Armor plus Shriek is too good to pass up for the Kiss.

Can you build an army around Parasite's Kiss? Neutral
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 23:33

Back on the original post, I always take the armour of misery on my warlord - he's the guy with the webway portal that deep strikes into my opponent's deployment zone, or my succubus with grotesques. As others have said - -2Ld on your fear check is beneficial, even more so -2 Ld on any morale check from 25% casualties or on pinning tests for units bailing out of transports, it's all good.

And of course, the most important and useful option, causing units to fail their combat res check, even if you only win by a single wound, -3Ld is pretty huge against non-fearless units. Quite honestly I'm then expecting to cut them down on the sweeping advance, but by that stage I'd expect to have caused enough carnage that they can't provide a comprehensive shooting response to get through the grot bodyguard or Shadowfield.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25 2014, 01:32

I concurs with burning eye.

I love the armour and often use it. Another thing that I find very useful for it. Especially when using him with a wwp. Is that when he drops down (often in a raider) that 6" -2 LD bubble awesome due to the raider. It helps to cause multiple LD checks at -2 if you pepper a few enemy units with shooting. Often making them break. In the marines case I believe that they can only snap fire after rallying. Unless ATSKNF changes that?

Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25 2014, 02:16

ATSKNF does indeed change that. If they do not reach their table edge, they completely ignore any ill effect the failed morale check may have had.
If you bring a Psyker, though, and can make them take a morale test in both the Psychic and the Shooting phase, you can make them run twice, and if I remember correctly they'll even fail the second test automatically.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25 2014, 06:32

Yep, they sure do. And if you bring chain snares you can make them run three times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do people like the Armour of Misery?   Why do people like the Armour of Misery? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do people like the Armour of Misery?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2