THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Rusty Klaive

Go down 
+8
spellcheck2001
zizza1400
Samuel44
Lord_Alino
Sfreezy
Khain mor
average joe
Klaive
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23 2014, 22:26

Greetings fellow denizens!

Over the last 12 months I've slowly been rediscovering how to paint (slowly is the key word!). It's been a fun journey so far and I'm loving these great DE figures.

Below are some pics of completed minis to date - although the George Lucas in me wonders if they are ever really finished?

I'll continue to post pics of my WIPs and completed figures as I get to them.

My colour scheme is evolving as well. These first couple of figures used a Xereus (Warlock) Purple but I'm now moving more towards a magenta hue. The contrasting colours are Sotek Green for the Kabalites with white/grey for the coven. All of the metalics are muted or rusted, nothing shiny for these guys.

Still working on iconography for my Kabal, Coven and Cult units. Will share that when I'm happy with it.

Archon

My first character mini in a looong time. Given he was a character, I tried to use NMM for the first time. Definitely something that I will practice more in future but probably not something I'll continue for my dark kin... I prefer a gritty realistic look that you don't really get with NMM (especially first attempts at NMM!). I also need to concentrate more on contrast and really bring out the black to white transitions across the different colours.

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141223_143112

Haemonculus

I have some ideas for a Coven army and this guy was a test figure. I'm happy witht he gritty feel, although will work on my neatness. All in all I like the result, he looks nice on the table.

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141222_114002

Next up, some shots of my first Venom. This was painted by hand, but I am moving to an airbrush over the coming weeks so will look forward to using that on my other DE skimmers. All in all, I'm OK with the look. I also will continue to use the freehand on my other Cult vehicles.

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141223_143520

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141223_143549

And lastly, a few snapshots of some of the figures in my display case. I'll post the worthy ones at a later date.

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141027_103512

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141027_103413
Kabalites

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141027_103431
Wyches

The Rusty Klaive IMG_20141027_103449
Wrack

Thanks all - I'll have some new shots up as soon as I get some of my current projects off the painting table!

Cheers,
Klaive (the Rusty)
Back to top Go down
average joe
Kabalite Warrior
average joe

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 02:55

I have to say the effect achieved with the fangs on the Venom is pretty sharp. All around you've done a good job. I've just started assembling and painting my first unit of Wracks and it was something of a jolt to paint something so small with so much detail again. It's been well over a year since I painted last. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 03:50

It's pretty funny to see the metal with purple wash over it, I used the same technique on my older dark eldar models, mostly on my Wych Cult stuff, I might also start doing it on my Current range Wych stuff.

Your stuff looks really great, you look at the wyches and see you truly got some skills, those models aren't easy to pull off this greatly.

Now the wrack, I'd still do freehand kind of skin painting, they have some good shading, but I like seeing their skin painted up like GW handled it, (base coat, wash, then freehand type of painting the skin, 1-2 layers of skin layers) Basically you paint over those lines of muscles, kind of freehand since the shading isn't always visible on the model.
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 00:53

Here is a rough colour test for my new Wych cult colour scheme. It's an incomplete messy paint job but I wanted to test out a new idea I had to add some variety to my army.

The Rusty Klaive 20150122_093633_edited

The Rusty Klaive 20150122_093555_edited

Big change from the original colour scheme (see wyches from my previous post) but I wanted to play to the Dark Eldar back story and have clear differences between the Kabalite, Cult and Coven elements of my army. That said, by using variations of the same three colours, the different factions should blend in together on the table to provide a common look and feel.

The three distinct schemes for the various elements of my Dark Eldar are:

Kabalites: Magenta (clean) primary, Turquoise secondary, off-white tertiary
Wyches: Turquoise primary, Magenta secondary, off-white tertiary
Coven: Magenta (dirty/rusted) primary, off-white secondary, Turquoise tertiary

Here's a shot of the palette for the wyches showing the colour steps.

The Rusty Klaive 20150122_101616_ed

Something else I'm happy with is the new colour for my bases. I've changed from a generic "dirt" to a "red center" outback kind of look. I wanted something to differentiate my models and what better way than incorporating a classic part of Australia into the look and feel. It's a great colour that really pops and is easy to theme.

The Rusty Klaive 17

With my decision made on the Wych cult colour scheme I can now move on to planning the execution of my Reavers and Razorwing which (wych?) are pretty close to painting stage.

The Rusty Klaive 20150122_101709_ed

Other items on my desk (below) from left to right: Raider crew, Talos parts, Razorwing parts, Razorwing base (and just behind it are some bits I'm going to build into the base), Wych colour test model to tidy up and finish and lastly a Haemonculus. Lot's of projects on the go!

The Rusty Klaive 20150122_102135_ed

To finish off, here's a WIP shot of my Talos. The carapace and mask show the "dirty/rusted" feel I'm going for. I made a mistake and airbrushed the armour on the arm the same as my kabalites... I'll need to rescue this somehow to make the model look uniform. More on that another time!

The Rusty Klaive 20150122_102208_ed

Cheers all and be excellent to each other!
Back to top Go down
Sfreezy
Slave

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 02:27

Looking great, the teal and magenta should really compliment each other. I like the purples you've added to the flesh tones as well.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 02:46

I really like that Wrack. It looks so gruesome Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Samuel44
Slave
Samuel44

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 11:32

Like the fangs on the venom. Are you going to do all your vehicles that way?
Back to top Go down
zizza1400
Hellion
zizza1400

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 13:09

Good stuff, I love the gritty feel your models have, and changing the colour scheme around always helps to keep things interesting! Keep em up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2015, 10:15

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks, greatly appreciated.

@Samuel44 - Not 100% sure right now! Thinking of trying to carry that theme forward for my Kabalites or keep it for my character transports. We'll see how creative I get I guess.

And to prove I haven't been totally idle here's a little sneak peak at one of my Reavers... about 50% done. Going to get some more "grit" in there!

The Rusty Klaive 20150310
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2016, 05:59

OK, so it's been a while! I had one of those "life got in the way" periods for about a year and a half but I'm back and the brushes are well and truly dusted off. I've finally managed to complete my first batch of Wracks (first model from this unit was painted some time ago and appears in an earlier post with slightly different colour scheme).

These guys are Finecast and I have to say pretty terrible casts at that. Some of the really fine details were missing, humps were miscast on some models etc. I'm also not too proud to say what detail was there was a little too fine for these old eyes to deal with! Either way, I'm pleased with how they turned out and I'm glad they are off the to do list.

The Rusty Klaive 20160725_141457_edit2

Still experimenting with photos on the new phone + lightbox so will post some close ups if I can get some good results.

Next I have a new batch of plastic Wracks that I'm really looking forward to painting and I'll also be building a couple of Venoms so I'll have a complete Scalpel Squadron ready to go.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2016, 08:59

Welcome back Smile. Real life has a habit of barging in without our leave and dragging us away from this hobby of ours!

Your stuff is great. I really like your paintning style. It is very dark and gritty, and has alot of movement to it which I enjoy Smile. Love you basing too. I am a sucker for a good base, as they round off and enhance an army/miniature and I just love making them as well.

Keep it up, looking forward to more Smile

SC jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2016, 09:01

Alos what app are you using to take your photos? I use camera + with my lightbox and it is excellent, as it allows you to adjust things to your liking manually, or use the auto function, pus has alot of cool frames and filters etc.
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2016, 10:18

Thanks for the kind words SC!

Re the app, I was just using the default camera app on my phone. It has a "pro" mode which lets you change a lot of the settings and I eventually landed on this:

The Rusty Klaive Screen10

I used manual focus for some macro shots which are OK but I will still practice some more =)
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2016, 19:05

Ok cool Smile

I can recommend this article about taking photos with your phone. It is full of very good info and well worth a read Smile

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/tutorial-how-to-photograph-miniatures.html

SC jocolor
Back to top Go down
Rewind
Kabalite Warrior
Rewind

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2016, 21:41

I think that Venom effect is brilliant!

Nice job!
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27 2016, 14:29

Thanks Rewind!

Well I've been inspired by finishing my Wracks (yay!) so before my son asks me again when I'm going to complete it I have been working on repainting my Talos to bring it into line with my coven colours (this is the same Talos as soon in a previous WIP shot).

Here's a quick WIP shot showing new armour colour and my start at weathering... crusty and rusty is what I'm going for here!

The Rusty Klaive 20160711

Ignore the pink/magenta bits, they are but transient.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27 2016, 15:06

Oooohhh boy, I'm loving that talos. It's viciously beautiful Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27 2016, 15:07

Looks great. Love your weathering on him/her/it

SC jocolor
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2016, 15:08

OK WIP shot of the Talos. I've made a vow to complete this guy in August which is helping with the motivation (although this a bloody fun model to paint).

I've finished the flesh now and the armour plating is ready for the final wash of rust. Most of the detail has been completed as well (love those little spikes) sans the vials and tubes.

The Rusty Klaive Talos_flesh_01

I've started a blog post on my progress with a bit more detail on steps, colours used etc. The link is in my sig below. Cheers all.
Back to top Go down
Scrz
Sybarite
Scrz

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2016, 06:12

Sweet!. Since we seem to have almost the same color scheme on the wracks I was wondering how you would eventually dress up the Talos. By the looks of it the finished result has a fair chance of ending up in my inspirational folder.
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07 2016, 02:42

@ Scrz - many thanks, that's a great compliment - I hope the rest of the model can live up to expectations!

I've created a quick tutorial on how I got that look on the armour. There are a couple of steps to be finalised as I get to then (hopefully later today!).

Tutorial: http://therustyklaive.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/tutorial-weathered-armour.html

So, by way of update, the Talos is coming along. Most of the work has been on the tail guns and bone rack thingies. Magnetising the weapons was probably a good move in the long run but I have to say painting them all is a major pain! Very fitting for the subject matter.  Smile

The Rusty Klaive Armour_tutorial_09

I've also started prepping for my next round of builds... the hobby is strong in my house this weekend.

The Rusty Klaive 20160810

In case you are wondering, 2 Raiders, 2 Ravagers, 30 Kabalites, 2 Venoms and 5 Wracks (not pictured - 20 Wyches and 15 Hellions).

Suggest you all invest in shares in plastic glue manufacturers as they are about to experience a sales spike.
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07 2016, 14:44

Just to round out my hobby weekend, I finished up this evening by assembling my Trueborn unit.

The Rusty Klaive 20160807_225702_edit

At this stage I have 3 blasters and 2 splinter cannons in the unit. One of the blasters is a crude conversion of a dark lance (slightly hidden in this shot). I trimmed the barren down and drilled out the end. I want to touch it up a bit more before showing it off.. I know I can do better.
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion
Klaive

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31 2016, 12:15

Talos = done!

The Rusty Klaive Talos

The Rusty Klaive Talos_Left

The Rusty Klaive Talos_Front

There's a lot I would like to spend more time on with this model but I've made the executive decision to move on to other projects in the interests of sanity!

I've learned a lot from this bad boy: Chipping effects, Enamel Rust wash (or as it almost turned out, how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory) and last but not least SC's awesome bubble tube effect (although I need much more practice/patience).

Main thing I'm stoked about is that the theme of my Coven is now concreted in. Looking forward to doing a couple of Venoms like this for my scalpel squadron.

But first, I must send in some clowns...
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2016, 08:08

That is a really nice paint job.

I like the tubing effect and the various poison vials look great. Might have to give spellcheck's tutorial a go on that myself. Weathering looks good too.

For Dark Eldar the colour scheme is quite bright and vibrant, yet it still works nicely. The only bit that looks odd to me is the guns in blue don't seem to tie in with the rest of the model.

I look forward to seeing more of the Coven as it gets painted up.

Last edited by Kantalla on Fri Sep 02 2016, 12:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2016, 09:29

Lookin damn hot Very Happy
Keep up the good work, also those vials, holy moly @spellcheck2001 gotta reread that tutorial too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Rusty Klaive Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rusty Klaive   The Rusty Klaive I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Rusty Klaive
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next