THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

2 Wrack Squads

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 14:25

I originally asked this in a list, but I thought I'd see what people thought about it in general.

My idea is to use 2 Wrack squads (from a Covenite detachment), each in a raider and with an attached Haemonculus.

The first squad has an Ossefactor and 2 hexrifles (including one on the Haemonculus).

The second has 3 Liquifier Guns (again, including one on the haemonculus) and a WWP.

The first squad is a backfield sniper squad - ideally staying 24" away whilst pinging away with hexrifles and ossefactor. The second is more aggressive - deep striking next to an infantry squad and (hopefully) laying waste to them.

My main aims were to try and make use of Wracks, and also to use some more 'shooty' Haemonculi for a change.

Anyway, do you think there's any merit to these squads?

Also, are these reasonable builds? Or would I , for example, be better off with 2 Liquifiers and an Ossefactor in the latter squad?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 15:56

The problem with both of these squads is cost. The Liquifier/WWP squad costs over 300 points! For the same points I could very nearly buy 5 Venoms each with 5 Warriors and a Blaster. I'm not sure what either of those squads would do that the Venoms couldn't do better.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 16:04

Double post

The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 16:15

Count Adhemar wrote:
The problem with both of these squads is cost. The Liquifier/WWP squad costs over 300 points! For the same points I could very nearly buy 5 Venoms each with 5 Warriors and a Blaster. I'm not sure what either of those squads would do that the Venoms couldn't do better.

Very good point, sadly.

It's a shame, because I rather liked the idea. Crying or Very sad

Oh well, back to my blood-stained drawing board then.
Back to top Go down
Izathel
Hellion

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 17:35

I think if you want two Wrack squads, especially from the Coven book, it is Scalpel Squadron all the way. You can give each an Ossefactor as well.

That gives you something you could not do otherwise - null deployment. I'm not sure it is a concept I'm in love with but I do think that it is the best way to get use out of a pair of Wrack squads.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 17:38

Izathel wrote:
I think if you want two Wrack squads, especially from the Coven book, it is Scalpel Squadron all the way.  You can give each an Ossefactor as well.

That gives you something you could not do otherwise - null deployment.  I'm not sure it is a concept I'm in love with but I do think that it is the best way to get use out of a pair of Wrack squads.

But that's the thing - I wanted to use at least one Haemonculus with them.

Scalpel Squadron doesn't allow that.
Back to top Go down
average joe
Kabalite Warrior
average joe

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 19:55

Since it would seem you have a particular build in mind just go with it. It may not be "optimal" but there's nothing wrong with taking those units as long as they can do what you have in mind well enough and fit into your overall scheme.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2015, 22:54

average joe wrote:
Since it would seem you have a particular build in mind just go with it.  It may not be "optimal" but there's nothing wrong with taking those units as long as they can do what you have in mind well enough and fit into your overall scheme.

To be honest, Count Adhemar's post was something of an eye-opener.

See, this idea kind of evolved as I messed around with lists (something I do far too much). First I wanted to make a shooty list (removing the Grotesques I'd been using recently), but was trying to decide on somewhere to put my warlord Haemonculus. I had the idea to give him a WWP and Liquifier Gun, and put him with some Liquifier Gun Wracks (Meduase were also an option, but I wanted a slightly more durable unit and one which had PfP to make use of the Haemonculus' buff). But, I didn't have quite enough points, so I changed to Hexrifles and Ossefactor (which also let me ditch the WWP).

Then I wondered about using this squad in a Covenite detachment, along with a single unit of Grotesques. But, I think I wanted more points for my DE CAD, so I changed the Grotesques to the liquifier-Wrack squad (using the second Haemonculus for a WWP and liquifier gun).

Basically, because of how I did it, I wasn't really paying attention to whether these units were fulfilling a useful role, hoe much they were costing (especially with the Covenite detachment, where you have to take 2 HQs, I wasn't really thinking about the cost of running 2 Haemonculi as well as the Wracks) or whether other units could perform the same role better or for fewer points.

Oh well, I guess I'll give them a go and see how it goes.

With the WWP squad, do you think I'd be better off with 3 Liquifier Guns, or 2 Liquifier Guns and an Ossefactor?
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11 2015, 20:38

Just thought I'd give a little update on this topic. I haven't used both squads yet, but I've used the Wrack sniper squad.

It performed about as well as I expected - i.e. depressingly badly. Over the entire game, their Hexrifles and Ossefactor managed a combined total of 2 wounds. They also exploded an Ork Trukk... by getting out and assaulting it. Razz

That being said, it kept my Warlord safe and the squad did anchor an objective for the entire game, and even took a second on the turn they charged the Trukk. So, that's something I guess.

You know how you really want a unit to work, but you know in your heart that it never will...? geek
Back to top Go down
@miral
Kabalite Warrior
@miral

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2015, 23:41

They protected the warlord (probably also by not being a big threat),took objective and did some damage? Not bad at all I suppose. Only the guns were a waste of points-maybe? Do Wracks use their S3+furious charge to get vehicles, can you use poisened cc weapons in that manner?
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2015, 00:08

@miral wrote:
They protected the warlord (probably also by not being a big threat),took objective and did some damage? Not bad at all I suppose. Only the guns were a waste of points-maybe?

Perhaps, but if I'm not taking guns is there much point taking Wracks at all? I could have a squad of Warriors with a Blaster for 30pts less.

@miral wrote:
Do Wracks use their S3+furious charge to get vehicles, can you use poisened cc weapons in that manner?

I actually forgot about furious charge entirely. I guess I'm so used to the coven table. Razz

Not that it mattered much, since my Haemonculus managed to explode it 3 times over! Those are some volatile scissorhands he has. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2 Wrack Squads Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 Wrack Squads   2 Wrack Squads I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 Wrack Squads
Page 1 of 1