THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Army most different to Dark Eldar

Go down 
+2
Thor665
Caldria
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Caldria
Kabalite Warrior
Caldria

Army most different to Dark Eldar Empty
PostSubject: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18 2015, 20:45

Hi there, so a few friends and I have started thinking about what second army to start. To keep the same variety we currently have between our main armies, we've decided to go for armies that are completely different from our main ones. While also still being none of the armies our small group has between them.

Since my main army is Dark Eldar, fast, hard hitting at range, squishy. I figured i'd go for something that is tougher, and probably slower(though being slower isnt a must of course), while being more combat/assault oriented.

I was just wondering if you guys have any ideas what you think the most opposite of Dark Eldar is.

A side note, my friends play Imperial Guard and Necron as mains, and are planning on going Orks and Tyranids as their second armies, respectively.

Thanks in advance ^^
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18 2015, 21:21

Probably Nurgle Chaos Daemons would be a true antithesis - they tend to be lower model count, are super durable, play heavy in the psychic phase, and are assault oriented and not very good at shooting.

Other top thoughts would be a Knights list or a Space Marine list.

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18 2015, 21:43

Quote :
To keep the same variety we currently have between our main armies, we've decided to go for armies that are completely different from our main ones.

Well, i think you like DE for a reason. Doesnt it bring dissatiscfaction when you all of a sudden play completely different playstyle? Like gunline for example? That sounds boring. Slower armies need mobility just as fast ones, its only that its hard to get in those armies.

I'd go for something that comes with a low model count - like bikers lists - White Scars or Ravenwing. Both are super interesting. They are assaulty, like T5 marines and crazy chapters masters can be assaulty.

Another lane to go is to go Psychic army. Grey Knights + Inquisition, Thousand Sons + Deamons of Tzeentch, heavy magic eldar (Ulthwe). That is also interesting and very different, new things to master, all those spells to learn, you never touch them as DE. That is direct opposite of Dark Eldar in one phase.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 10:24

I'd say Tau.

We move. They don't (in my experience).

http://www.escelionfilms.com
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 11:47

Damn, Necrons and Orks were my first two picks! (Necrons are soulless, whereas we do everything possible to hold onto ours and keep it nourished, Orks are brutish and emphasise strength over finesse).

Nurgle daemons sounds very dissimilar to us in terms of playstyle - I wouldn't recommend bikers lists on that basis as they tend to be very mobile, elite and quite hard hitting.

You could go with a drop pod list, they're fairly static once deployed and are quite resilient, or Deathwing if you want to go really tough...

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Caldria
Kabalite Warrior
Caldria

PostSubject: Re: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 12:06

Oh wow, thanks for the responses - I didn't think this thread would get many Very Happy

My first two choices were actually Space Wolves and Blood Angels - since they're both tougher and assault oriented (at least from what I've seen. Thunderwolf Cav and Death Company are the 2 units that jump out at me the most when you say space wolves or blood angels)

I actually hadn't thought of Nurgle, thanks for that - I shall add it to the list! (although I did kinda wanna veer towards a non evil army this time around, I have my DE for all my evil needs Very Happy)

Azdrubael wrote:
Well, i think you like DE for a reason. Doesnt it bring dissatiscfaction when you all of a sudden play completely different playstyle? Like gunline for example? That sounds boring. Slower armies need mobility just as fast ones, its only that its hard to get in those armies.

Well I think of it like this: I have my Dark Eldar which are my main, and while i want to focus on things completely different from what I do with them (i.e more assault oriented and a less squishy army) I obviously wouldnt mind some similarities too in terms of mobility and speed. Being fast will also help me adjust to the army a bit quicker since im used to playing with fast units. And the best assault units are ones that are tough, hit hard and fast. So some things I don't mind being the same.

Also, I love my DE so, I will still play them the majority of the time, and if I ever start getting a little bored of them, I will switch to the other army for a few games, then back to my DE.

Regarding the Eldar, I do actually have a few eldar models, some guardians. 2 farseers (one on jetbike) Some warwalkers/wave serpent or two etc. So I'm not 100% out of the psychic phase in some of my games - but since the new DE codex ive been playing pure DE.

But I certainly wouldnt mind a more psychic heavy army either. But I'm not gonna get any more Eldar models for the time being Very Happy

Thanks so much for the responses so far
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20 2015, 13:10

I'd say, Grey Knights is the exact opposite to our Dark Eldar. We're fast, shooty and armored with tissues.
The Grey Knights aren't, with some exceptions, of course. Plus, they are Psykers, up to the last one.
Dark Eldar are graceful, slim and wear elegant armor. Grey Knights are big, bulky brutes, covered in dishes and cooking pots.
Oh, and when playing Grey Knights, you are outnumbered almost every time. Can't say that to us, can you?

PostSubject: Re: Army most different to Dark Eldar   Army most different to Dark Eldar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army most different to Dark Eldar
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DISCUSSION

:: Warhammer 40,000 Discussion
-
Jump to: