THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How are you equipping your razorwings?

Go down 
+8
Hellstrom
SCP Yeeman
Sigmaril
Wolfsark
Mushkilla
Grimcrimm
The_Burning_Eye
egorey
12 posters
AuthorMessage
egorey
The Duck of Death
egorey

How are you equipping your razorwings?  Empty
PostSubject: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 19:37

A standard razorwing is a very potent AI threat especially if you can bait your opponent to move out a clumped infantry squad.

A dissie razor with splinter cannon will be your best bet to take down FMCs.

I see most commonly the AT version with dark lances.

As for missiles  - the standard missile is not too shabby but necrotoxin is fleshbane and better against high toughness and free. The shatterfield is likely to do more vehicle damage. And you can mix those missiles.

So anywhere from 130 to 175 pts for this guy. This obviously is overkill for a rather weak armoured HP3 flyer.

And not to get started on dissies vs lances again BUT two dissies and a splinter cannon and S7 missiles CAN threaten most vehicles - obviously AV13 - AV14 are the exceptions. However if you have to jink which weapons would you rather have?

Standard is 130 - an upgraded razor with TL splinter cannon is 140 as is one upgraded to two dark lances. Add in a few shattershard and you are at 150. Bust out all the upgrades plus nightshields and you are at 175.

So what is your poison?

Rock.

Last edited by egorey on Wed Jan 28 2015, 21:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 20:32

My basic is just to upgrade to lances - if I have to evade I'll be flying off the board next turn anyway - no point hanging around being a target if your shooting is that compromised.

If i have a spare 10 points then I'll add in the splinter cannon as you suggest - I'd actually debate that perhaps the dark lances are your best bet against FMC's, supported by the splinter cannon. The lances will likely ignore armour so force an evade or carry a serious wounding threat. the splinter cannon is more a secondary threat forcing saves rather than a reliable source of unsaved wounds. The dissies are goo, but likely to only wound on 5's at best?

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Grimcrimm
Kabalite Warrior
Grimcrimm

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 20:33

Dark lances str 7 missiles nothing else if i ever roll a 3 on a jink test ill grumble and deal with it

Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 20:35

If I jink I fly off the board the next turn.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
egorey
The Duck of Death
egorey

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 21:31

The other option you have with a razorwing is of course Fighter Ace - being able to give your scouting Talos Hatred or a unit of Grots hatred ... well. And yet I seldom see this upgrade used. I think the 35 pt upgrade is just a bit high and again it is on a fragile platform. It does give you some choices though- swiveling 180 degrees, hatred or +1BS. All nice indeed.

And no DLs against FMCs are generally not quite as good as Dissies and a Splinter Cannon (same cost). That said I sometimes run mine with dark lances in but not if I'm using DSing dark artisan or corpsethief. Then I would likely will use dissies, splinter cannon and fighter ace. Of course, I generally do not follow the pack.

My favorite load out might not ne optimal but I like:
Razorwing, 2x Disentegrators, 1x Splinter Cannon, 2x Necrotoxin Missiles, 2x Shatterfield - 150

I feel this gives me an decent all round flexible threat.

Rock.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 22:31

Fighter ace? Where do you get that from?

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 23:08

The_Burning_Eye wrote:

In Skies of Death, you now have a bonus rule allowing you to pay 35 points for one of 3 special traits for any Flyer. Ours are:

Dance of the Dawn - +1 BS.
Dance of the Dusk - Fighter Ace can pivot 180 before moving.
Symbol of Khaine - Fellow models within 12" of a Fighter Ace with the same codex gain Hatred.

I'm currently experimenting with a reaver heavy list with a Symbol of Khain Razorwing (reaver king).

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Wolfsark
Hellion
Wolfsark

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 23:16

The_Burning_Eye wrote:

Fighter Aces are something they introduced in the Shield of Baal: Leviathan book but I'm pretty sure you can't use them outside of Shield of Baal missions.
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 00:24

Wolfsark wrote:
The_Burning_Eye wrote:

Fighter Aces are something they introduced in the Shield of Baal: Leviathan book but I'm pretty sure you can't use them outside of Shield of Baal missions.

Using Fighter Aces in other Missions:
Quote :
If you wish, you can upgrade any model to a fighter ace in missions that do not have the Fighter Aces special rule. Using a Fighter Ace in in such a mission follows exactly the same rules, except that the upgrade increases the point cost of the upgraded model by +35 points
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 00:38

I use Lances and the Cannon but keep the standard missiles. This can threaten tanks, infantry, and FMCs.

I think Lances are better than dessies because more often than not, that FMC will Jink which will severly hamper their shooting the next turn. For things like a Crone or Harpy, they become severly hampered. Plus, knowing you wound them on 2's and strip armor, they will want that 4+ cover. If you happen to get an Iron Arm DP than Lances will help astronomically better as well. Dessies can hurt FMCs but the chances are lower and people are less likely to Jink, which is a win in itself. Dessies can only hurt AV 11 or 10, not 12 as the OP suggested.

I throw the Cannon on just for FMCs in mind. Cause 2-3 extra wounds on a FMCs makes a huge difference. Plus if a Lance fails to wound, but the Cannon does, they still take a grounding check. It is nice for infantry, but it is not the reason to take it.

I detest Necrotoxin missiles because they just are not needed in our army. Eeverything has Poison already so they aren ot needed. You will wound most things on 2s with the standard missiles anyways. Plus AP 5 makes a difference between picking up models and someone rolling dice for their saves. Not to mention you can threaten vehicles if need be with the Str. 6. High toughness targets are not a problem for us and if someone presents an army full of them, standard missiles probably wound them on 3's or 4's anyway. You probably shouldn't shoot them with the Razorwing then.

I used to equip my old Voidravens with Shatterfield, but I wont use the points for the Razorwing. 150pts is plenty for the flier. Dark Lances + Cannon is all I need and it can do any job.
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 00:49

The Fighter Aces rule requires you to roll on the table to select your bonus though ?? Doesn't it? That's how I read it anyway.
Back to top Go down
egorey
The Duck of Death
egorey

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 01:15

I read it that you get to choose one upgrade.

Rock.
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 05:37

You don't get to choose. You roll a d3. 1 is +1 bs, 2 is 180 degree pivot before moving, and 3 is hatred for all units of the same faction within 12".
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 06:38

I tend to go lances or nothing.
Occasionally the s.cannon, though usually I can find a better use for the points.
Never any missile upgrades - I think the Monoscythe are fairly blatantly the best missile for a TAC list.

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 08:31

I knew I wanted shield of Baal for something other than just the Blood Angels stuff...

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01 2015, 22:23

Just had a thought regarding missiles. Lets say you keep 2 Monoscythe missiles and upgrade 2 to Shatterfield missiles.

Well, this gives you the option to fire the blasts one at a time. So, you could first fire a Monoscythe at your target and see how effective it was, before deciding whether you then want to commit a Shatterfield missile as well (or vice versa).

I don't know if there's much merit in this tactic, but I thought it was worth mentioning - for people who want to try and eke out their missiles. Wink
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01 2015, 22:34

I had a second hand model from a friend who'd built it already. So I upgrade to dark lances and splinter cannon with night shields.
I'm generally happy with mono missiles, but I might take one shatterfield if I'm hoping for a vehicle glance.
I'll be magnetising the missiles in any case, that way I can take any. Smile

Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01 2015, 22:43

The Shredder wrote:
Just had a thought regarding missiles. Lets say you keep 2 Monoscythe missiles and upgrade 2 to Shatterfield missiles.

Well, this gives you the option to fire the blasts one at a time. So, you could first fire a Monoscythe at your target and see how effective it was, before deciding whether you then want to commit a Shatterfield missile as well (or vice versa).

I don't know if there's much merit in this tactic, but I thought it was worth mentioning - for people who want to try and eke out their missiles.  Wink
There is a massive disadvantage to this, imo. When you fire several of the same type of blasts, you measure out the hits for all of them before rolling wounds. If you fire different blasts, you roll out wounds from the first type BEFORE you roll for hits on the second type of blast.
Meaning that when you roll to hit with the second volley of blasts, there will (hopefully) be a considerable reduction in models under the blast marker, thus reducing the potential amount of total hits.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01 2015, 22:48

That's a good point, Sigmaril... I don't have heaps of games under my belt, but when my razorwing arrives, I unload at least 2 or 3 missiles because the first turn he comes on is really the only turn you truly get full control of what you want to fire at. And there's often alot of foot sloggers still on the board at that point.

Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2015, 08:56

Good point, I'd forgotten that aspect of Blasts. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2015, 13:34

+2 Lances. And stop, 140 points.

I don't care about Splinter Cannons (I never have that points), or other missiles (i play an army with 90% of the weapons thats are poisoned; if I play Razorwings, I wanna some anti-blob infantry, with T3-4).
+2 Lances because I prefer have more Lances in list, than other anti-infantry, even at VP2.

Usually, I play 2 Razorwing, never played one alone.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2015, 13:41

VP2?
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2015, 13:47

The Shredder wrote:
VP2?

AP2

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How are you equipping your razorwings?    How are you equipping your razorwings?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How are you equipping your razorwings?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: