THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Loose Skimmer Base

Go down 
+10
Korwey
Ispa
1++
Erebus
Azdrubael
Ciirian
MarcoAvrelis
The_Burning_Eye
Dragontree
The Shredder
14 posters
AuthorMessage
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 11:49

One of my Raiders now has a really loose skimmer base and so falls backwards or forwards, rather than sitting horizontally (I've tried different skimmer bases, but the problem is with the Raider itself).

Anyway, does anyone know any tricks for 'tightening' skimmer bases, without gluing them?
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 11:58

Hard nail varnish over the ball (usually a few layers) always worked for me.

Not that the girlfriend appreciated the theft...
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 12:28

just as dagontree said, though for me just a few coats of black paint.
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
MarcoAvrelis
Kabalite Warrior
MarcoAvrelis

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 15:41

Have you tried to screw the ball while it's in the socket? At some positions, it's loose, but you turn it 90-180 degrees and it's suddenly firm.
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 16:20

This happened to me for a few Raiders and Talo - it stinks. Will try -ALL- of these
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 16:33

Thanks, guys, I'll give the paint/varnish a go.

MarcoAvrelis wrote:
Have you tried to screw the ball while it's in the socket? At some positions, it's loose, but you turn it 90-180 degrees and it's suddenly firm.

I have. It's worked for some of my Reavers, but not this particular Raider.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 18:06

I just glue those.
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 18:18

You could use super glue instead of nail polish (just don't attach the base before it's dried). Alternatively, you could use a tiny clipping/shaving of plastic from a spare sprue with plastic glue to fill in the socket slightly (I do this when magnetising if I've drilled too deep).
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 18:25

Azdrubael wrote:
I just glue those.

Unfortunately, this isn't an option for me as I don't have enough space to transport them with the bases attached.

Erebus wrote:
You could use super glue instead of nail polish (just don't attach the base before it's dried).

If the paint doesn't work, I'll give that a go. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 21:25

Having the same problem at the moment s with Reavers so will try these ideas out!
Back to top Go down
Ispa
Hellion
Ispa

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 22:03

Alternatively you could always magnitize the stands. Just cut the little ball end off and glue a magnet on top and another one in the Venom/raider socket.
Back to top Go down
Korwey
Hellion
Korwey

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17 2015, 22:27

Just remember to use some larger magnets. I used 3mm, while good on venoms, my Riders/Ravagers fall as easly as with the painted ball trick:/
Back to top Go down
skp
Hellion
skp

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 12:03

You could glue the ball into the raider, then have the base free floating, drill the whole out in the center, so it can slip in and out, this is how I personally do mine.
Back to top Go down
Omega1907
Hellion
Omega1907

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 14:08

skp wrote:
You could glue the ball into the raider, then have the base free floating, drill the whole out in the center, so it can slip in and out, this is how I personally do mine.

Had some really bad experiences with those kind of bases (old flying bases) ... they just don't work well with heavy models.

I can't remember how many time the bases of my old hellions broke, in the end the whole underside of the model was superglue I think Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28 2015, 22:25

I don't know if this would work for you, but I drill a small hole into the ball and another into the model and glue a small piece of wire or nail in the ball to keep them from falling over. Still detachable but no falling over.
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 21:51

I just stick a little Blu-Tac into the socket on the Raider. The right amount will get a tight fit while still allowing the ball all the way in.
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Omega1907
Hellion
Omega1907

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2015, 14:23

Black Death wrote:
I don't know if this would work for you, but I drill a small hole into the ball and another into the model and glue a small piece of wire or nail in the ball to keep them from falling over. Still detachable but no falling over.

That, sir, is pure genius!

I wonder, why I'd thought of that earlier, no need to magnetize all those skimmer bases, thanks for sharing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2015, 23:12

You're very welcome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Loose Skimmer Base Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose Skimmer Base   Loose Skimmer Base I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loose Skimmer Base
Page 1 of 1