THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders

Go down 
+4
Silverglade
Squidmaster
Omega1907
Rokuro
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders Empty
PostSubject: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24 2015, 11:29

My current four Grotesques are actually Chaos Spawn, and they begin to look more than a little out of place in my army, as I'm gravitating towards various types of Exodite lizard riders.

For the new models, I was thinking about putting Hydra heads on Dragon Ogre bodies, with the necks replacing the ogre part.
Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders 99120210

I'd like to know if this would actually work before I buy the parts.
And if not; if anyone here knows other dinosaur-like models/conversions, similar in size to Grotesques, that I could use instead.

Last edited by Rokuro on Tue Feb 24 2015, 12:54; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Omega1907
Hellion
Omega1907

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24 2015, 12:39

Maybe try Kroxigors?
No idea if the size is right, but at least they would fit the theme and look fittingly muscular imo.

Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24 2015, 12:44

Omega1907 wrote:
Maybe try Kroxigors?
No idea if the size is right, but at least they would fit the theme and look fittingly muscular imo.

I was actually thinking about something less anthropomorphic; large reptilian beast that are being sent or ridden into battle by Beastmasters.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24 2015, 15:04

TO be honest, you've chosen two models to use I'm not a big fan of.
I think the legs (mainly the front) of the Dragon Ogres were very lizily done, and the Hydra's heads look really goofy.
If large lizard riders really is the way you want to go, size-wise you can probably just use Cold One Knights from the Dark Elf range. Then you get the bodies you need already.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 08:39

Squidmaster wrote:
If large lizard riders really is the way you want to go, size-wise you can probably just use Cold One Knights from the Dark Elf range. Then you get the bodies you need already.

I'm already using those for Beastmasters though. How would I explain (fluffwise and to my opponents) that one unit of Cold Ones is notably tougher and stronger, but slower? I'll need something that looks beefier to justify the Grotesque profile, even if it ends up being bigger than the actual Grotesques.
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26 2015, 03:01

Given that beastmasters are not nearly so good in the new codex, I think you just repurpose them as grots and don't play beastmasters any more.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26 2015, 05:52

I'm in the crypt horror boat. In the fluff, grots are/were dark eldar who have been tortured and pumped full of grotesquing juice, to make them grotesque. I imagine they should be somewhat humanoid.

Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26 2015, 11:47

Silverglade wrote:
Given that beastmasters are not nearly so good in the new codex, I think you just repurpose them as grots and don't play beastmasters any more.

I'm using them in squads of 6 as an all-terrain shooting unit rather than for close combat, but only when ther is a lot of difficult terrain. Wink

nexs wrote:
I'm in the crypt horror boat. In the fluff, grots are/were dark eldar who have been tortured and pumped full of grotesquing juice, to make them grotesque. I imagine they should be somewhat humanoid.

Well, I do have two armored classic Carnosaurs to proxy as Taloi in the making, and Hellions riding Ripperdactyles. I'm not the kind of player who lets the official fluff get in the way of cool and exotic models. Smile
But I still take care to make my models look like what they do on the table.

My personal fluff behind my army is that of a Kabal and its allies that have been cast out from Commorragh and taken refuge on an Exodite world. Their supplies are limited mostly to what they can capture on that planet; its population and wildlife.
Back to top Go down
Bugs_N_Orks
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 06:57

I think the Dragon Ogres are on 50x70mm bases, making them way bigger than Grots. They also look like they'd be too fast to be infantry in my opinion. Size and shape wise I think something like a reptilian Krootox would be more representative of Grot stats. What about River Trolls? They're a little anthropomorphic but definitely still reptilian animals, the puking one comes equipped with a liquifier already (lol), and you could have a DE riding on one MasterBlaster style for the aberration.
Back to top Go down
Lord Mal
Hellion
Lord Mal

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 07:31

Well, for Fantasy model options, Ogres or the normally extremely ugly old Chaos Ogres seem like they would be good for conversion purposes of Grots that are themed towards a Gladiator style with Wych cults for fighting in the arenas. It seems to me like Ogryns would make good Grots.

I'm also not a fan of the Hydra whatsoever as a model. The Draon Ogres could work for the top part if you put a "grot" style helmet on them, but that seems like a lot of work. I'm in the same boat as someone else as far as the crypt horrors as an option. Rat Ogres when converted well seem to work pretty well too.

Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03 2015, 17:17

This video features models that are similar to what I have in mind:

I'm considering the Knarloc bodies, but I'd rather not buy Forge World models if I can avoid it.

Lord Mal wrote:
Well, for Fantasy model options, Ogres or the normally extremely ugly old Chaos Ogres seem like they would be good for conversion purposes of Grots that are themed towards a Gladiator style with Wych cults for fighting in the arenas.  It seems to me like Ogryns would make good Grots.

I'm also not a fan of the Hydra whatsoever as a model.  The Draon Ogres could work for the top part if you put a "grot" style helmet on them, but that seems like a lot of work.  I'm in the same boat as someone else as far as the crypt horrors as an option.  Rat Ogres when converted well seem to work pretty well too.

I seriously don't want them to be in any way humanoid. Finding some monstrous infantry model to count as a Grotesque is not much of a problem. Finding a reptilian animal model that looks like it could have the stat line of a Grotesque is however.
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2015, 00:25

I have bought both the Hydra and the Dragon Ogres now, and the necks really do fit onto the bodies. I'll just need to fill the gaps and sculpt some armoring on them.
They did turn out too big for Grotesques though. I'll be using them as Taloi instead.
Back to top Go down
Ispa
Hellion
Ispa

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2015, 01:04

...pics or it never happend Razz

Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2015, 07:35

Ispa wrote:
...pics or it never happend Razz

I'd love to, but I'd have to buy a digital camera first. My sister won't let me use hers. Mad

[EDIT]
Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders 00210

Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders   Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grotesque Proxy: Big Lizard Riders
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: