THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS

Go down 
+3
Sigmaril
Calyptra
Archon Rievect
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Archon Rievect
Kabalite Warrior
Archon Rievect

Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS Empty
PostSubject: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28 2015, 18:22

Not sure where this goes so WWP'd it here.... I have a rant to add insult to injury to US.. Shocked Mad

Watched a friend play another guy in our little escalation campaign and saw him get his ass kicked by the necrons...

The Apocalypse(or normal??) rules for the teseract or optional way to run the necon balls is a bunch of bull.. Guy ran the Obelisk in a manner that gave it 2 ways to operate, 1 way is 'normal' and the other is to land it or have it sit there like a blob with regen, 3+invul, 6 HP's, a crazy stupid rule that gives it a 'fee pulse ' EVERY shooting phase, friend and foe, where basically ANY flyer or SKIMMER inside a 48" bubble takes an auto hit (dont even need to roll to hit!?) S8 AP 4 hit against side armor(does not matter to our paper airplane s or boats anyway) and this happens at the beginning... Suspect Shocked
So I watched as 5 out of 8 of my friends skimmers get taken out on turn 1 BEFORE he can even fire a single thing
and then with the ensuing CC rounds get punked bad...doing bunch of wounds but the resurrection protocol roll of 4 up and reroll 1's, preatorian 3+invul and god know what else.... could basically not kill much.. his only bright spot was the killing of the obelisk finally..
WOW I though the eldar had the cheesiest things like that shield blast nonsense from the serpents or the SM/CSM stuff that ignores all cover and go to ground or even some stuff that negates jink saves(??!) .... BUT this will keep me from playing any necron player .....absolutely no fun to play against..

I do not mind losing if it a fun bar room brawl thing..... not by having to get across a 6' or more table and getting destroyed before I can even fire anything do to our crappy ass codex rewrite NERF and crappy no long range weapons... (I hope the team who wrote the codex all caught bad stomach flu for 3 weeks straight)

WE should be able to redo the codex in a much more balanced fashion so as to make it able to stand on its own for most part..... I DO NOT want to take allies (and I hate psychic stuff) BUT may just try my SOB as desparate allies, plop 3 exorcists on 1 end and a couple squads and give the opponent a headache.... have to do up a test list see what I can do for 1850.

Rant off,had to vent ,now i have a list of armies and how they are organized so I can just say 'thanks,nope,cant do anything against you,not worth my frustration, you win " No

Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28 2015, 23:10

The Necron codex, so far as I can see, doesn't allow him to do that.

The Obelisk can be deployed powered down, which gives it a 3++. If it's powered down it can't move or shoot. If it deploys via deep strike, it has to be powered up. Once it's powered up, it can't power back down again.

Its bubble is an 18" radius, and it's a dangerous terrain test.

They have a formation with an Obelisk in it, but it doesn't have any effect on the Obelisk's rules.

The thing is definitely scary. That said, it seems to me that if it's sitting powered down in the Necron deployment zone, it should easy enough to avoid, and if it's powered up, we can still kitchen sink it with lances and haywire from further than 18" away. Which we will want to do, because it generates 20 S7 tesla shots with a 24" range.

Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 03:31

I don't really understand posts like this.

You watch a game with a rediculous model doing extremely rediculous things, and you go home to write a long rant about how redicilous it was.....
... but at no point did you consider asking if you could check the rules in the codex, or look it up on the internet before posting?

As Calyptra said, the thing has 4 x 5 S7 Tesla shots. One on each corner. And an 18" Dangerous Terrain aura.
Back to top Go down
katfude
Hellion
katfude

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 05:06

The rules in the Escalation book for the Obelisk are CLOSER to what you are describing but it can only be run as a Lord of War in a detachment that allows for it (AKA not Decurion). It was also only AV11 back then, so you could fart at it and it would wither away.

The new codex has entirely different rules for the Obelisk. It's strong as hell, but not super OP like the opponent was blatantly cheating it to be.

If something seems OP, ask for proof it works that way. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Archon Rievect
Kabalite Warrior
Archon Rievect

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 06:12

Sigmaril wrote:
I don't really understand posts like this.

You watch a game with a rediculous model doing extremely rediculous things, and you go home to write a long rant about how redicilous it was.....
... but at no point did you consider asking if you could check the rules in the codex, or look it up on the internet before posting?

As Calyptra said, the thing has 4 x 5 S7 Tesla shots. One on each corner. And an 18" Dangerous Terrain aura.

Well first off I am not going to butt into someones game, it is up to the players to call each other out.. second is that I did see the entry briefly but do not remember what book- codex,apocalypse escalation,etc he was holding at the time... just saw it in print and thought ' wow that sucks hard for the dark kin....

And I guess you never observed stuff that was OP ,went off on a rant before... or maybe you are the person that interrupts a game you have no personal minis involved in....

And most of us go on a rant, it is what gamers do and maybe it keeps someone else from getting blindsided when they go up against someone who stretches the intent of things in the codexes... IE power players,tournament players..

I will find the stats he was using and post here when I can.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
katfude
Hellion
katfude

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 06:28

If I'm observing a game and someone does something that violates the rules I politely offer advice.

You could also simply ask, "Really? That sounds pretty powerful. Do you have the codex I can look at if I don't mind? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet."

You don't have to butt in and start accusing people. Be polite and reasonable. If they get super defensive, either they're socially inept to the point where they probably shouldn't be playing a game that requires a certain level of etiquette to enjoy or are intentionally violating rules. Either way, you'll know not to accept any game invitations from them in the future.

I always appreciate it when someone lets me know I'm playing something wrong so I can fix it in the future.

Additionally, if I see something that's OP or have it played against me, I dig up the rules and see if that's per design or was played incorrectly. I am also not ashamed to ask to see their codex if I feel something is amiss. That way, when I post a rant, I'm not posting possible misinformation.
Back to top Go down
Lord Mal
Hellion
Lord Mal

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 07:15

I just saw a guy with Tyranids teaching an Imperial Guard Player how to play 40k, and smashing him into the ground while teaching him "how to play". Quite frankly, people don't currently have all that much in the way of "people skills" due to growing up through the internet. I am new to 40k (long time fantasy player), and there's actually quite a bit of difference between the two rule sets. Personally, a lot of the stuff in the game seem pretty powerful, but is still completely within the rules.

Everyone says "of course it's not legal" when talking about most of an army getting destroyed in one turn, but that's something that doesn't seem all that uncommon. 20 S7 hits, which is apparently the real version of the legal unit, with an 18'' aura of difficult terrain, seems plenty strong to me. Since I'm new to the game, and the legal stuff seems not that far off from somebody cheating, I wouldn't know the difference without asking every 5 seconds if something is correct or not.

It's also insulting (granted in some cases justified) to assume the person is either cheating or doesn't know their own book every time something seems OP (Spoiler alert, GW tend to make certain things totally pointless rules wise, and some things completely overpowered). I don't know if I could butt in like that on another game going on as the new person, what if I'm totally wrong and just stopped up their game? Hobbies like this take a lot of time, money, and energy as it is.

Thanks for the post so that if I run into the unit, I know what it specifically does though, and I'll probably be more careful about things that seem fishy as I learn the game.
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 12:03

The game is full of powerful things. If you don't know anything about your opponent's army, asking to see their codex every time you encounter something new on the table could make the game take a very long time.

This is the sort of experience I'd chalk up to learning curve, both in terms of what an army does (and doesn't do) and in terms of specific players who may not be people you want to play games with.

Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01 2015, 12:04

Quote :
And I guess you never observed stuff that was OP ,went off on a rant before... or maybe you are the person that interrupts a game you have no personal minis involved in....

Why would you have to bud in and stop their game? a simple polite "do you mind if I take a look at the book?" don't stop anything at all.
I'm not saying you have to go all "STOP!! YOU ARE PROBABLY CHEATING! WAIT WHILE I CHECK!" on them, because obviously anyone would be ofended by that.
But simply asking to look at the Codex have never even gotten me a raised eyebrow before.

And no, I would not go on a rant about anything, without first at least trying to check the actual rules for it.
And I would DEFINATELY not want to be the guy showing up at the store saying "Wow, that thing you have there is over powered. It destroys every vehicle within 48" of it, EVERY TURN...... Oh, just 18" dangerous terrain aura, you say? But a random guy at the forum said..."
Back to top Go down
trade_prince
Hellion
trade_prince

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03 2015, 09:40

It's all about how you bring it across. I also pounded a new guy into the dirt whioe teaching him 40k. However, he did not mind because I explained my every move and what he did and how I responded that allowed me to exploit the situation. He was very greatful and now hes a pretty decent player himself.
If you are 'that guy' they'll hate you even if you lose. If you 'this guy', people will love you even if you win.
But then again, 'that guy' never worries about being 'that guy' Wink
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03 2015, 09:57

Quite frankly if you're playing one of these, you need to worry far more about its shooting than the gravity pulse. Yes, it'd be highly annoying to see your skimmers immobilised, but I'd much rather that than watch it flatten 4 different skimmers with its shooting in a single turn.

Incidentally the formation one is the one you want to worry about - once it's on the table it can bring the two monoliths that make up the rest of the formation into play without scattering provided they land within 12". Each monolith can then slingshot a unit out of its portal so that they don't have to cross the table on foot. Oh yeah, and they have a ton of shooting themselves too - that formation royally screwed me over in my last game (albeit I was using marines and most of my AT was tied up in combat early on)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS   Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Necron Monolith/Teseract BS- 24' pulse thing auto hit S8AP4 EVERY flyer/skimmer 4' bubble and more BS
Page 1 of 1