THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

"Focus Fire"

Go down 
+2
Vasara
omkara
6 posters
AuthorMessage
omkara
Kabalite Warrior
omkara

"Focus Fire"  Empty
PostSubject: "Focus Fire"    "Focus Fire"  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 10:32

As my army still isn't fully complete yet, I'm left with questions to theorize about, but have no practical experience yet, which will take another 2 weeks for me to finally get started using an 1850 Haemonculus Coven only army.

Anyway, my question would be, how you all generally play in terms of focusing attacks of several units into 1 enemy unit or do you try to spread all your own units vs multiple enemy units.

I can see how spreading out your army trying to tie up multiple enemy units can be useful, but at the same time if you focus fire (or just have multiple of your units charge 1 single enemy unit) your losses will be minimal while the enemy unit is most likely completely destroyed.

There's probably no straight forward "that's how you MUST do it or you will always lose" answer, but I'm interested in your opinions none the less. That being said, I can also see how spreading out your own units to attack multiple enemy units might be decided when it's clear (at least according to mathhammer) that you have an acceptable chance of wiping out that single targeted enemy unit without much losses on your own unit.

So, per example, MEQ or TEQ, especially if they come in squads of 10, would you focus fire on such a unit while just attacking GEQ with only 1 squad. Or would you still attack MEQ and TEQ with single inferior squads for the sake of tying them up (which will most likely depend on how cheap your units are).

Last edited by omkara on Thu May 21 2015, 11:04; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

"Focus Fire"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Focus Fire"    "Focus Fire"  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 10:51

It depends.

Forceing LD checks to units near table edge is a good strategy. Or blasting away whole unit that could do harm next turn might be best solution in other circumstance. Most of the time shooting a monster to zero wounds is better than harming 4 different monsters without killing them.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

"Focus Fire"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Focus Fire"    "Focus Fire"  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 10:58

As you said, there's no genuinely right or wrong answer here and only time and experience will make it clear.

The answer is also different for different opposing units. For example, if I can make a shooting unit jink then I'm pretty happy moving on to something else (and equally when I'm being fired on, judging when to jink to force my opponent to concentrate fire on the smallest number of units).

Try to think of it like this - what is the purpose of the unit I'm attacking, is it to cause damage/tie me up/claim objectives.

I'd say the first just need to be neutralised, either through casualties making their damage potential ineffective, or as mentioned before by making them jink/go to ground etc.

The second need avoiding, since if they're particularly resilient they're also usually either slow or have a low damage output.

The third, unless you're playing a killpoint game, need destroying. Almost all missions are won by objectives so wiping out the units your opponent is using to claim them is of primary importance.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

"Focus Fire"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Focus Fire"    "Focus Fire"  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 12:23

It really depends. If you can rip the teeth out of an infantry unit by removing special weapons or reducing the model count enough, you can easily move on to another infantry unit. High priority tanks and monstrous creatures tend to fall into the "shoot it till its dead" category. Also high mobility units with potential to assault also tend to fall into to the "shoot it till its dead" category.

Assault which has sadly fallen so far behind shooting is also a method of pulling critical units out of the game, without necessarily removing them from the board.

The key is neutrailizing enemy units, either by removing any chance of significant offense, wiping them out all together, or tar-pitting them in an assault they aren't likely to escape for a good long while.

Sybarite
Deamon

"Focus Fire"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Focus Fire"    "Focus Fire"  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 13:29

It really depends on the situation but :

1- If it's a unit that's dangerous for me, I'll focus fire until it dies (like when I shoot at Dark Reapers because if I go for a LD check, they could pass it and assault me next turn)

2- If it's a unit holding an objective but not treathening me, I'll go for a moral check if I can push them off the table or bring them under 25% models

3- If it's a unit that can jinx, I'll stop shooting at it after I forced it to jinx to focus on another target (I often play against Annihilation barge spam and it's pretty efficient).

4- If we are playing kill points, I always finish my target unless it's in no position to escape me next turn.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

"Focus Fire"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Focus Fire"    "Focus Fire"  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 17:00

The key here is asking yourself: "What will hurt me next turn?"

Dark eldar does a lot of damage, but are very fragile. So, during your turn, how you move, who you'll shoot at depend (almost) on a single thing: "When my turn will be over, will my enemy be able to harm me?"

It may be by assaulting you with TEQ, with tank, or big guns....

Generally, because of that, we prefer to focus fire from a side of his army. Doing that will wipe somes units in the same region and the incoming fire next turn will be lesser, because his main force will be out of range.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Focus Fire"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Focus Fire"    "Focus Fire"  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Focus Fire"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-