THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Corsair Allies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01 2015, 05:26

Okay I've been building my Dark Eldar force around the Kabal with the concept of them being Corsairs but also want to expand my collection to include some of the Forgeworld Corsair units to augment it.

I currently have 1 Archon (the 5th Edition Metal), 1 Succubus (new plastic one), 1 Lahmaean, 40 Kabalite Warriors, 6 Reaver Jetbikes, 2 Razorwing Jetfighters, 1 Voidraven bomber, 3 Raiders, 4 Venoms, 5 Incubi (5th Edition Metal), and 1 Ravager. I'm on the fence as to whether I want to buy more Incubi as I have had some bad experiences with Finecast models.

My plans for the near future are to purchase 2 Corsair Wasp Assault Walkers and 2 Corsair Hornets. I plan on running the Assault Walkers with Eldar Missile Launchers and the Hornets with Pulse Lasers. Do you guys think this is a good idea and that they would work well with the models I currently have? My thoughts are that they both should be capable of keeping up with the rest of my army and the missile launchers would help to provide anti-air as well as additional long range support.

If I run the Wasp Assault Walkers in an unbound list do I still need to follow the rule saying I can only deploy 1 unit of Wasp Assault Walkers per unit of Corsairs? While I plan on building some in the future they are expensive and I would rather get the vehicles first and I currently have no Guardians.

Any advise on these models would be appreciated as well.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01 2015, 06:32

I think the 1-1 rule would still apply.
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01 2015, 20:55

As it is a rule for the unit rather than something to do with the force orginization charts I was thinking that the Corsairs would be required for the Wasps.

Under the Corsairs Elite Selection there is an option to take a single Fast Attack or Elite choice from the Eldar Codex and Kabalite Warriors from the Dark Eldar Codex but it also has an additional note stating that these units are treated as "uncertain allies". As Corsairs don't show up on the Level of Alliance chart would you say that Corsairs would be Allies of Convience if included as detachment? All other Eldar are Battle Brothers so I would argue that they should be included as well but I worry I'm being to greedy and there is the before mentioned note/rule. But if Eldar and Dark Eldar are able to be considered Battle Brothers I would think that the Corsairs would be even more likely to get along with the Dark Eldar. What your other's thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01 2015, 21:45

Well, I'm no expert in Corsair lore but I don't think that Corsairs necessarily get better along with DE then Eldar.

I think "get better along" is very relative. It is reasonable assume that they have more similarities to DE than Eldar but in general I would treat them like Harlequins.

There are Eldar who become Corsairs and after a while return to their Craftworlds, while others go to Commoragh and join a Kabal (if I'm not mistaken). So, I think there is a good mix of everything.

And whlie they might like different parts of the Eldar culture only to a small degree... they are still Eldar.

However, if "uncertain allies" really is explicitely stated, I think the classification as "Allies of Convenience" is reasonable (for this slot only). They could be unreliable mercinaries or something like that.
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01 2015, 21:59

From my understanding you are correct about Corsairs going back to their Craftworld or becoming Commorites with the exception of those that decided to remain corsairs indefinetly. Most don't choose the third option.

And yes I agree with you that they should be treated like the Harlequins but then we are back to the fact that the chart has Harlequins as Battle Brothers with the Dark Eldar as well and the argument goes back full circle in my mind. All listed Eldar factions are Battle Brothers with one another on the chart. So do I look at the rule for them fighting in the same army and make the Corsairs the exception to that rule making them Allies of Convience, or do I go with the Harlequin trend and argue for them being battle brothers...

My comment on them getting "along" was a poorly phrased snipe at the fact that Games Workshop made Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar Battle Brothers, which is a bit of a stretch for me. I have no strong objections to the Harlequins being battle brothers with the Craftworld and Commorragh Eldar but I find it dubious that the Craftworlds and Commoragh would be Battle Brothers. Maybe Allies of Convience but not battle brothers.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02 2015, 10:30

Yeah, actually we don't know much about we know about the Craftworld Eldar / Commorite Eldar relationship.

I've read the books and read much about the DE background on the 40k wikias, but I can't think of an occasion where both factions planned to fight for a common cause and not just because they were forced into a situation.
So, it's hard to really know from a fluff point of view.

Sure, Craftworlders think of Commorites nothing more than pain addicted crack junkies.
And Commorites don't like Craftworlders because they are denying parts of themselves.

However, considering that Kabals frequently work together with other Kabals, Cults or Covens, I don't see why they should be suspicous over Craftworlders when they are in an actual fight.
If anything they only joke about their craftworld cousins and hope they don't get killed right at the beginning already.

And sure, Craftworlders might not feel comfortable to work together with Commorites, but what should they really fear? Commorites are so obsessed with killing stuff and raiding a place that they probably barely pay attention to Craftworlders.

It's like being together with relatives you don't like on Christmas Eve. Sure, you don't like them, but they are not going to kill you, or cause any physical harm, right?

Sure I wouldn't call them "Battle Brothers" but I think both factions are pragmatic enough not to be too suspicious over the other party when you really had to work together.
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02 2015, 19:27

You bring up some good points and I can't think of anything that counters your line of reasoning.

Edit: Found the answer, it was in the Imperial Armour 6th edition Allied Detachment update:

Eldar Corsairs Armies
When using the Allies Matrix (page 113, Warhammer 40,000 rulebook), Eldar Corsair armies are treated as Eldar armies when both selecting allies to fight alongside them and when using them as allies for another force. The exception to this rule is that they may ally with Eldar armies as Battle Brothers.

So I would say the 7th edition equivalent would be the same as the Eldar.
Back to top Go down
YoungArchon
Hellion
YoungArchon

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2015, 19:39

The Strange Dark One wrote:

It's like being together with relatives you don't like on Christmas Eve. Sure, you don't like them, but they are not going to kill you, or cause any physical harm, right?

And now I want a sitcom where a Craftworlder, Commorite, Corsair, Harlequin and Exodite live under one roof
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23 2015, 02:29

YoungArchon wrote:
And now I want a sitcom where a Craftworlder, Commorite, Corsair, Harlequin and Exodite live under one roof

More general 40k I guess, but Da Real Wurld 40k was great while it lasted!

Corsair Allies Drw40k6_by_darealwurld40k
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Corsair Allies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corsair Allies   Corsair Allies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corsair Allies
Page 1 of 1