THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Painting an hourglass

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

Painting an hourglass Empty
PostSubject: Painting an hourglass   Painting an hourglass I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 19:54

Howdy. I've made an Archon, and he's rocking the Flagellant hourglass bit as a soul trap. You can have a look at him at my project log!

I wonder if anyone has some tips on how to go about it. A typical sand-filled hourglass seems a little boring for a vessel that's (hopefully) filled with souls, but it's the only thing I've been able to find tutorial on, obviously.

I had thought of painting it either like a light source, in which case I know the basics but need help with the irregular shape of it, or making it contain curling wisps smoke instead of sand. For that one, any little hint helps!

Let me know what you think/show me what you've seen or done!

Thanks cheers

Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Painting an hourglass   Painting an hourglass I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 20:57

I used an hourglass (might have also been from the Flagellant kit) on the battle standard bearer for my Vampire Counts army.

I left an "edge" around the sides of the sand in the top portion of the glass to represent the thickness of the glass and reflected light. I figured I could get away with that on a three dimensional model because this hourglass has the posts on the sides, which prevent the glass from being looked at from that angle. If the glass had been visible from 360 degrees, I'd have had to do something different.

[img]Painting an hourglass VampireBSB1_zps7aee5313[/img]

[img]Painting an hourglass VampireBSB2_zps803268ee[/img]

Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Painting an hourglass   Painting an hourglass I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 21:11

That's an awesome looking model. Same hourglass too Smile thanks for the tip and the peek. Is that the space wolves colours on the glass? Russ and the other grey?

Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Painting an hourglass   Painting an hourglass I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2015, 00:41

thesaltedwound wrote:
Is that the space wolves colours on the glass? Russ and the other grey?

I don't remember exactly what I used, but chances are it involved some combination of Vallejo's Sombre Grey and P3's Frostbite. At a guess I darkened some Frostbite with either Sombre Grey or P3's Bastion Grey, included it in the wash (all my Vampire Counts models get washed entirely in a mix of blue and brown ink), blocked the base color back in, and then highlighted it up to Frostbite (maybe with a touch of white).

Sombre Grey, which was my default color for much of the army, is pretty much the same as the discontinued GW color Shadow Grey (which is why I don't use GW paints), if that helps.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting an hourglass   Painting an hourglass I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting an hourglass
Page 1 of 1