THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lhossangren
Slave
Lhossangren

Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms Empty
PostSubject: Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms   Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 07:41

As I assemble my forces, I have noticed with alarm that there exists nothing suitable as a ranged sidearm with which to equip my dark lance and splinter cannon gunners, that they might defend themselves at close quarters.  Yes, they have knives, but how useful is that?  It requires them to drop their main weapon to wield with any efficiency, and is less then optimal against multiple attackers.  In almost any credible 3rd Millennia monkeigh army, such personnel are issued with pistols, ideally placed upon the thigh for rapid deployment.  But the splinter pistol contained in the kits is rather long for such an application: it looks rather absurd and encumbering attached to the figure so, and I question how quickly one might draw such a long barrelled weapon.  Besides which, the holstered version is even more monstrous in size.  So, I ask you: has anyone seen, in any kit, or produced on it's own, any pistol bit, in an open-topped quickdraw holster such as might fit in a seemly manner upon the thighs of my warriors, and also look like it is a weapon native to our people?  I imagine something about half the size of the splinter pistol would be about the right size.  My thanks at any knowledge you have to share.

Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms   Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 09:07

Afraid not. All the DE and Eldar kits I Have seen have no holstered pistols. Could you not cut off the butt of the pistol and sculpt a holster yourself out of greenstuff? That is the way I would go.

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Lhossangren
Slave
Lhossangren

PostSubject: Re: Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms   Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 09:58

I suppose it may come to greenstuff in the end. I am not wholly adverse, just feeling a little indolent. I am currently looking at not less than a half-dozen such weapons for my immediate needs, and a larger number in future, and because of the size constraints I mentioned, I would probably be sculpting the whole thing, to get a much smaller pistol. With as large as the splinter pistols are, and with as low on the thigh as I would want a pistol for maximum efficiency in the drawing action, the barrel would be nearly scraping the ground in the widest of the Kabalite leg stances, such as my first two gunners are made with. For both aesthetics and practicality, I'd want a pistol not much larger than, at worst, a Desert Eagle, relative to the size of the figures. Something more like a Glock or USP in size would be better. I'm trying to avoid making the figure look too cluttered, as well as hoping to give a nod to realism. I'm sure in the real Commorragh, pistols come in a wider variety of sizes, both more manageably sized splinter weapons, and likely laspistols in various sizes. Additionally, I'd be cutting one side flatter so it looked like it was flush with the leg plates, so I might as well just make the whole thing if it came to that. We shall see if the market caters to my sloth, or I have one more project to add to my list.

Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms   Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 11:21

The 3rd Ed plastic kabalite set has a holstered pistol.

PM me; I may have a few

Yes, it gets me too, always has done, Swordsmen without sheaths and Archers without quivers.

Or Heavy weapons crews without reloads...
Back to top Go down
Lhossangren
Slave
Lhossangren

PostSubject: Re: Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms   Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 14:37

An excellent recommendation. I have sent you a message on the matter.

Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms   Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01 2015, 08:25

I really need to read more before posting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms   Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small pistol bits suitable as sidearms
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: