THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Potential Corsair Update

Go down 
+12
Count Adhemar
Tengu
The Shredder
Rathian
Brom
lament.config
PriorofDeath
Jimsolo
aurynn
chickendinner
CptMetal
stilgar27
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

Potential Corsair Update Empty
PostSubject: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 12:50

The rumor is that eldar corsairs (IA11) are about to get an update, and if so they'll basically incorporate everything the dark eldar currently do excluding power from pain and covens.  Except of course they'll do it better.

As it stands corsair troops are already pretty useful.  Most units however are supposed to recieve a stat boost up to roughly kabalite level, with sergeants reaching roughly exarch stats.  Jetpacks will also boost armor so infantry will have a 4+ armor option, as well as a 3+/5++ armor for elites.

If all the costs remain the same I see no reason to ever field kabalites, nor their transports over these guys. 10 corsairs with splinter rifles + jetpacks = 90+25 points.  That unit can deep strike without a transport, take 2 heavy and 2 special weapons, move an average of 19" but are relentless, have grenades, better armor, and don't risk getting blown up all in one chunk.

Vehicles are also getting an invulnerable save options that dwarfs our version (flickerfield which increases to 4++ within 24", and Re-rolls 4++ vs melee attacks).  Could be seriously useful if they let us put it on the jetpack walkers.

While this army did already includes some dark eldar options in their current iteration, the new update should basically allow units to freely mix and match dark eldar weapons and war gear in along with harlequin and craftworlders'.  It is also supposed to allow HQ units to take relics from all 3 eldar factions (mask of secrets and armor of misery on the same character?).  Other units like corsair jetbikes (windriders) will now be able to take dark eldar weapons such as splinter cannons.

The questions I pose are these:

A) Do you lend any credence to 40k internet rumors?

B) Do your gaming groups allow entire forgeworld armies?

and of course

C) Would you still choose dark eldar (with power from pain and covens) over a similar army with built in psykers, anti air, better vehicles, and walkers/bikes/jetpack units as troop choices?

I've always preferred the pirate type evil space elf myself.

I know it is all just rumors but it does make a lot of sense since they've been redoing the AI series, and they'll need to re-do this list anyway since the harlequins included are now out of date.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 12:56

C) I´d love to built an Corsair army. It fits my Kabal´s history so much better. But I would miss using the Grotesquerie, Medusae. I will have to wait if I can buy upgrade kits for my kabalite warriors to turn them into Corsairs, otherwise I wouldn´t be too interested in starting another army when I´m not even finished with my Kabal (need the Voidraven, much more reavers, 4 Additional Talos, additional Mandrakes etc).

A) I think it´s possible but I don´t care if not.

B) Never talked about it, but I guess so. Unless they think it gets much to good. But we have 2 Eldar Players, so...

Hellion
chickendinner

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 13:30

A) It sounds like it's a bit more than just a rumour tbh

B) Yes, but I don't remember anyone bringing a full army from forgeworld

C) Unlikely for me. I love fielding a fleet of raiders, venoms, jetbikes, because it looks and feels so awesome. I would play corsairs like the harlequins; a small formation hitching a ride and possibly some additional units like flyers/bikes. The main things I look for when allying in another faction is:

1) Does it have some stealthy or sneaky rules (Darkfire Skyburst),
2) Can it help me sow fear and terror (Mask of secrets + shadowseer for freakshow tactics).

That's why I have neglected putting CWE into my army; if it doesn't fit my style of play it doesn't get looked at.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 14:26

A) I read them with salt at hand.
B) Yes and some ppl do bring full FW armies
C) My primary will always be DE but as my band fluff says they are actually corsairs, I plan to add Harlies, deffo Corsairs, and even some CWE as minor reinforcements. However I plan to build everything on DE aesthetics and bind everything with fluff. DE have been a viable army for me so far despite the general "they sucketh" belief so I have absolutely no regrets there and no plans to abandon them for cookie cutters. At least until Thousand Sons come out. 15th legion is special for me...
Back to top Go down
chickendinner
Hellion
chickendinner

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 14:34

aurynn wrote:
DE have been a viable army for me so far despite the general "they sucketh" belief so I have absolutely no regrets there and no plans to abandon them for cookie cutters.

Couldn't agree more. True Kin all day everyday!
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 15:39

For the future: four faction Freakshows!

Seriously though, this sounds awesome! I'm super excited.

1. I don't believe all the rumors, but I'm willing to buy the premise of new Corsairs.
2. We've got a Renegade Guard player, so they damn well better.
3. I play Covens, and it doesnt sound like they're going to pee in our Kool-Aid too badly. If all the rumors are true, I may cut down on some of my regular DE, though.
Back to top Go down
PriorofDeath
Hellion
PriorofDeath

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 17:39

Where have you heard these rumors from?

A: depends on source and the rest of the/fw actions as of late

B: Entire army, I don't know. 3/4 (only opponents I've found in 100miles) will play against fw, so I assume itd be alright.

C: Yes, the dak kin are always my core choice in a list. Having the option to ally in my other brothers would be great as there is such a anti-Eldar stigma from 2 guys in my group.

Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 17:41

Natfka and frontlinegaming.org.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 17:43

Will those rules be in a new imperial Armour?

Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 17:44

My guess, based on the content, would be that they will release either a huge online rules update, or just a new printing (with updated rules) for IA 11 (Doom of Mymerea).
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 21:28

I'm hoping for free rules released on the web, which seems to be the future imo, especially for forgeworld since their products are so $$$ to begin with.

I asked about allowing forgeworld armies because I already play renegades pretty regularly, although I just use plastic cultists from the 6th-7th edition 40k, and age of sigmar box sets (with weapon/base swaps).  I only play that army on my home table though, and was curious how forgeworld is accepted in general before I go all in converting another army.  I don't really care about tournaments, although my normal gaming circle is shrinking so I might have to branch out somehow.

I do have something in the neighborhood of 80 plastic guardians and I generally don't use half of them so that wouldn't be a risk.  Roughly 20 of them are the old 2nd edition 2 piece ones with lasguns (or lasblasters) which aren't legal anyway.  The jetbikes, venoms, and war walkers I'm a bit more concerned about - but I could probably magnetize those.
Back to top Go down
lament.config
Sybarite
lament.config

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20 2015, 06:28

Could be a fun addition to a main DE force. I'm hoping this happens.
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20 2015, 17:47

Quote :
Sometimes, in this case yes to the basic rumour of corsairs getting updated. As for the meat and potatoes of the rules I don't buy into anything until I see it.

Quote :
Absolutely its a great part of the hobby and I'm glad it finally caught on in general. We've been doing it for many years.

Quote :
C) Would you still choose dark eldar (with power from pain and covens) over a similar army with built in psykers, anti air, better vehicles, and walkers/bikes/jetpack units as troop choices?
Too early to tell. What would corairs offer again that eldar doesn't trump already? Thats what some people will be asking. I play this game for fun. I build models for looks. Any allies or new armies I invest in are because of one of these two factors. I don't jump ship to the next powerful thang just because. That said if something seems to fit my army and isn't overblown like most eldar units then ya I could see myself picking something new up.

If the rumours are true I feel its kinda a shame though. Armies/races/factions have identities which used to be the reason to play said army. Now its about how to mix and match for advantage. Each time I see another rules set printed which essentially usurps or replaces another army I get a little miffed, whether or not it significantly impacts my gaming environment or not.
Back to top Go down
Rathian
Kabalite Warrior
Rathian

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20 2015, 19:05

I have a small Corsair force I ally with my Kabal; a prince model I converted out of Dire Avenger Exarch model combined with Kabalite Warrior bits and the Watr Walker pilot helmeted head as it looks like FW corsair helmet. Just added some jetbikes and Rogue Trader era Dreadnought models for fluffier models. LOVE CORSAIRS, they fit fluff-wise with DE and can sit next to Harlequins as allies too. New rules to update them for 7th would be great, although I've adapted wargear listings from Mymera stuff already (such as webway portal rules)

Kabalite Warrior
Rathian

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20 2015, 19:07

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/09/40k-eldar-corsairs-getting-new-rules.html

Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20 2015, 20:51

Brom wrote:

What would corairs offer again that eldar doesn't trump already? Thats what some people will be asking. I play this game for fun. I build models for looks. Any allies or new armies I invest in are because of one of these two factors. I don't jump ship to the next powerful thang just because. That said if something seems to fit my army and isn't overblown like most eldar units then ya I could see myself picking something new up.

If the corsairs update is anything like the other forgeworld lists I've played or seen played, they'll bring a lot of the character I find missing in the dark eldar (although not the covens book) as of 7th edition.  As I've mentioned elsewhere I love playing renegades and heretics; mostly I like being able to change the way my entire army works just by deciding which type of general I want each fight.  From the rumors it sounds like these guys will be even more customize-able (6 warlord customizations, 3 HQ types, 3 other armies to draw a unit from).

As for what they'll do better?  Options and efficiency.

Dark eldar are supposed to be a fast, effective shooting force, which theoretically gets more melee effective as we fight.  As of the current edition, we don't have any real speed advantages (does fleet count?), our weapons and vehicles aren't any cheaper or more effective.  And the PFP melee buffs fall entirely flat on the 1 troop type that's still worth taking.

To be honest most of my wish lists involve getting relentless and grenades on kabalites.  Corsairs do that for about 4 points extra, and forgo the death trap vehicles, which are one of the biggest flaws of the dark eldar army design.  Combine this with the fact that basic corsair troops have more wargear options than trueborn and I'm sold.

Brom wrote:

If the rumours are true I feel its kinda a shame though. Armies/races/factions have identities which used to be the reason to play said army. Now its about how to mix and match for advantage.

I was kind of getting to that with the 3rd part of the question, but in reality that's something we all do to degrees.  We stick blasterborns in venoms because each unit covers the other's deficiencies, I realize they're in the same codex but to a lot of people it doesn't matter at all.  In my experience though, if people want cheese - they'll field cheese, and you can do that well enough without using multiple codices.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20 2015, 21:13

stilgar27 wrote:

Depends on the rumour - some are more reasonable/plausible than others. Although, I tend to wait until I hear something more substantial.

stilgar27 wrote:

I don't see why not.

stilgar27 wrote:

For me, it would probably depend on the aesthetics and the fine details of the rules.

I'd miss some of the Coven stuff (though not much, given how depressingly crap most of it is). I certainly wouldn't miss the current Power from Pain rules, which is about as thrilling as playing as an Archon as he fills out his tax returns.

But, it would certainly make a nice change from an army where virtually every unit and piece of wargear is arbitrarily worse than the equivalents of other races for no reason beyond 'no one at GW gives a crap about DE'.

If the rumours are true, I'll definitely be giving Corsairs a look, and probably proxying them for a few games (if at all possible).
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 11:37

Lets face it; The quintensial Elf in 40K is a pirate.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 12:47

Isn't there something about pirate ninja space elves that just begs to be played as an army?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 12:48

Jimsolo wrote:
Isn't there something about pirate ninja space elves that just begs to be played as an army?

Or at the very least used as the name of a rock band.

The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 12:55

Jimsolo wrote:

There is.

I just wish they were called something other than 'corsairs'.

'Dark Eldar' has a nice ring to it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Rathian
Kabalite Warrior
Rathian

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 13:31

Count Adhemar wrote:
Jimsolo wrote:

Or at the very least used as the name of a rock band.

Playing tonight at The Dublin Castle; Pirate Ninja Space Elves with their new album Webway Wonderland

Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 20:51

No, thats lame.

`Those guys from Iga`(With apologies to inhabitance of that province who are not ninja) would not want such a pathetic title.

And elves are way cooler than ninja and pirates put together.

(Says she who lives in a place oft raided by the Sallee rovers...But hey, Morrocos a better place than the Dark City...)
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 22:42

Tengu wrote:

And elves are way cooler than ninja and pirates put together.

I...I don't think I can back this statement...
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 22:58

Ninjas are only cool if they aren't also turtles.

Turtle ninjas need to be exterminated. Preferably with fire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potential Corsair Update
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next