THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor Empty
PostSubject: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01 2015, 23:32

I have never used either and I need some anti air to add to my Dark Eldar list cause my razorwing is just not cutting it. I face a lot of Flyrants mostly, but my list is an all comers type list

Last edited by Nariaklizhar on Mon Nov 02 2015, 02:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2015, 01:53

They are much of a muchness against flyrants. The nightwing probably wins out thanks to the built in save or maxed out jink if need be despite its 2HP. Against other flyers, the CH is more threatening but again, less durable.

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2015, 15:13

I automatically thought "crimson hunter" when asked about anti air, but I've reconsidered.   Against most flyers (and especially FMC), the interceptor should out-do the crimson hunter IF you give him the kinetic field and deep strike him effectively enough to unload the shuriken cannons.  In this scenario he gains a 4++ with a re-roll, and will kill most any flyer with 8 strength 6 shots (+2 lances) or pseudo-rending FMCs to death.  In either case he hasn't jinked so has full BS and is still very survivable.

If you were open to ground to air however, I'd go with the new firestorm from the corsairs list.  Range 60", strength 6, heavy 6, rending, twin-linked, interceptor, ignore cover, skyfire shots on an av12 fast skimmer.  It's gonna pop your average flyer when it comes in.  Remember skyfire allows it to fire at skimmers as well.  You can still speed around shredding things with what works out to roughly a range 60" assault cannon when you run out of skyfire targets, but it looses ignore cover vs ground targets.

The firestorm does cost 25 more points than the nightwing but takes up a heavy slot.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet.
Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2015, 21:49

Hmm, interesting info about the firestorm
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2015, 22:25

Nariaklizhar wrote:
Hmm, interesting info about the firestorm

http://overmycoldcoffee.tumblr.com/post/131517716101/didnt-get-round-to-uploading-these-yesterday

5th image down if you haven't seen it is the firestorm.  Images are a bit blurry.  The lynx and warp hunters are 0-1, so even if you took the max of both of those units you'd still have a slot for firestorms in a standard CAD.  If anyone cares, a snapshotting firestorm array will only actually do 0.71 wounds for every 1 wound an assault cannon would, so it's not quite a 60" assault cannon.  It can also take a shuriken or splinter cannon for +10 points though.

A lot of what is left is just craftworld vehicles with corsair upgrades.  The balestrike band are unique,  but you can field 10 (or more) fast moving, relentless heavy weapons in almost any slot.

Personally, I've got a couple old eldar tank hulls I'll likely buy upgrade kits for or just make my own version.  Last time I checked nightwings cost a fortune.
Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2015, 23:02

"IF you give him the kinetic field and deep strike him effectively enough to unload the shuriken cannons. In this scenario he gains a 4++ with a re-roll, and will kill most any flyer with 8 strength 6 shots (+2 lances) or pseudo-rending FMCs to death."

So I tried to find this info and couldn't. I though the Nightwing has agile for a 3+ jink and shrouded which gives it a 2+ jink or a 5+ cover save. Where does the 4++ with a reroll come from?
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2015, 23:52

Well... I'm going on information I have yet to personally confirm, but the kinetic shroud (not field, my bad) is supposed to be a 5++ vs shooting which improves to 4++ with a re roll when you move at high speed.  Specifically this means on a turn you deep strike, move flat out, or make a jet pack move in the case of wasp jet walkers.

It probably seems completely redundant on a unit that gets a 2++ jink save but...  After the initial drop (which should protect against interceptor), the nightwing would be able to use these to basically make strafing moves; going flat out in one turn to gain a serious save which is immune to ignore cover, then firing at full bs in the next.  It'll take some skill to do with supersonic but vector dancer should help.

It's a pretty pricey upgrade for a single model unit though, but it'll probably be pretty common on larger vehicle squads like vypers.  Wasp walkers will pretty much always have these, as they should be able to use them every turn if the rumors are right.

Edit: so ya, the rumors on the kinetic shroud were... incomplete.  You have to move at least 6" to gain the 5++ (which is mandatory with zooming flyers anyway), then it's 4++ when going flat out, but you only get the re-roll when deep striking and basically whenever you move with a wasp walker.

The shroud also costs 15 points per vehicle, not just a flat 15 for the unit.  It's included in the price of the wasp walker however, and with a slight discount.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor   Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crimson Hunter or Nightwing Interceptor
Page 1 of 1