THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?

Go down 
+4
Lady Malys
CptMetal
daxxglax
SmutFiend
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SmutFiend
Slave
SmutFiend

Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? Empty
PostSubject: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12 2015, 19:25

Why do newly born/created Dark Eldar need the suffering of others? They were not present during the birth of slaanesh, so they shouldn't have the void created in their souls like the eldar who were around in that time.
Back to top Go down
daxxglax
Slave
daxxglax

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13 2015, 19:28

Dealing with the Warp, eldritch Chaos deities, and psychic residue isn't an exact science (or maybe even a science at all), but basically Slaanesh cursed the entire Eldar race from that point forward, irrevocably tainting them down the generations.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13 2015, 19:40

That's why all Craftworld Eldar need their spirit stones.
Back to top Go down
SmutFiend
Slave
SmutFiend

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14 2015, 19:55

If the entire eldar race is cursed, how do the exodites deal with it? Do they also have spirit stones?
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14 2015, 20:44

They are linked with the spirit of their maiden worlds.
Back to top Go down
SmutFiend
Slave
SmutFiend

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15 2015, 15:19

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I honestly didn't expect anyone to respond to my questions.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15 2015, 21:30

No problem
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15 2015, 18:03

Dark Eldar also experience an increase in the amount of suffering they need as time goes on, so I would extrapolate this backwards and say that newly-minted or newly born Dark Eldar probably don't feel much of a soul-hunger, and as they mature and age, it increases. Not that this is any real use to them, as they can't stay as children forever. But as to why they experience the need to feed on agony, I think daxxglaxx got it right - the very existence of Slaanesh is enough to cause soul-drain in a Dark Eldar. Slaanesh was created by the Eldar and is now inextricably linked to them as a race.

Craftworlders use a spiritstone and the protection of the Eldar Path to avoid attracting the attention of Slaanesh. Without the Path, they can devolve (or evolve, depending on your perspective) into Dark Eldar; in fact just about any Eldar could become a Dark Eldar, which is further evidence of Slaanesh's grip on the whole race.

Exodites, handily, cope with this by living too far from the Eye of Terror to be initially affected, and by maintaining a very non-Slaanesh-attracting life of hard work and simple living. The World Spirits are their Infinity Matrices and they also use spiritstones while alive.

Back to top Go down
Barking Agatha
Wych
Barking Agatha

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15 2015, 20:36

Also, the birth of Slaanesh isn't an event fixed in Time. If Realspace is what we call spacetime, it's an event that originates outside of spacetime and stabs through it. The immediate cause of the event was the depravity of the eldar, who were bound to a point in time and space, but the event and Slaanesh itself exist outside of time and space, so it doesn't make sense to speak of 'before', 'during', and 'after' when referring to them. It would be as if you slashed a painting and the people inside the painting wanted to find you somewhere within. The slash is there, so you must be in there somewhere, right? But no, you're outside the painting.

And more, the Warp (or Immaterium) seems to be a platonic hyper-dimension where ideal essences originate and manifest, so entities like Slaanesh not only transcend Space and Time, but also Mind. So in one sense, it happened a long time ago, but in another very real sense, it's always happening right now, so naturally it would affect any eldar regardless of whether they were born then or now.

Actually, the event would even affect the eldar before it happened (as 'before' makes no more difference than 'after'), possibly causing their behaviour in order to create itself.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16 2015, 07:39

Really like the painting analogy. :-)
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16 2015, 13:51

It's an interesting idea. Is there any fluff which directly supports it?
Back to top Go down
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16 2015, 14:08

Well, we know that time doesn't truly exist in the Warp, given the general lack of physics, and the resultant time-travel-y shenanigans that ensue. Therefore, logically, beings entirely from the Warp must essentially be timeless, other than when they interact with reality. They're on an entirely different level of existance, they don't follow our rules until they impose them upon themselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?   Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do newly born/created dark eldar need the suffering of others?
Page 1 of 1