THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Allied Imperial Knight

Go down 
+7
stilgar27
Skulnbonz
Vasara
nexs
flakmonkey
The Shredder
Myrvn
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Myrvn
Wych

Allied Imperial Knight Empty
PostSubject: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02 2015, 21:44

It isn't overly thematic, but I could probably swing a stolen vehicle joy ride story if I needed too...

Has anyone used an Imperial Knight allied with DE? The fire power added against heavy infantry and light vehicles combined with melee ability against heavy vehicles seems like a benefit. And DE have the mobility to stay outside of 12".

Has anyone tried it? Success? Failure? Worth investigating?
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02 2015, 23:03

No.

If I wanted to pull that kind of nonsense I'd play Eldar.
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 00:04

I've been pretty under-whelmed when I've faced knight titans in the past.
If you're eager for a gargantuan walker I'd go Wraithknight. That's some real firepower for you.
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 02:09

But Wraithknights are cheaper, so they must be worse!
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 02:45

Myrvn wrote:
But Wraithknights are cheaper, so they must be worse!
Are you serious?
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 03:23

Not even a little bit.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 03:42

phew!
I nearly lost my coffee
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 08:18

nexs wrote:
phew!
I nearly lost my coffee

If you only nearly lost your coffee, the Eldar player must have forgotten to cast prescience on his Wraithknight.
Rookie mistake.
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 13:23

Obsec Venoms and 3 IK is quite competitive list actually. And aDeath of fluffyness
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 13:27

Vasara wrote:
Obsec Venoms and 3 IK is quite competitive list actually. And aDeath of fluffyness

Also death of fun.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 14:12

I was toying with the idea of the three hth knight formation with DE... it would be quite an interesting dynamic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasybattles.com
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 20:02

If you're looking for a totally un-fluffy ally to supplement dark eldar, I'd recommend nurgle demons of chaos.  They're a lot more flexible than knights; potentially bringing psykers, durable deep striking troops, and charge denial units (beasts of nurgle) to the table.

All that said, Soul grinders do a lot of what a knight would do but cheaper.  They eat up a lot of table space and provide cover for troops behind them while offering some heavy firepower. They can also deep strike and skyfire for free, and can take some interesting upgrades (including a battle cannon) for a small cost.

They aren't super heavy though so don't expect wraithknight levels of absurdity.  And there are of course downsides to playing any demons army but unless you're really unlucky won't ever really effect a small single god detachment.
Then again I suspect you either already have, or are intent on buying knights - and it's 7th edition so do whatever you want geek
Back to top Go down
Bugs_N_Orks
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03 2015, 21:30

stilgar27 wrote:
If you're looking for a totally un-fluffy ally to supplement dark eldar

Everything is fluffy if you know the right Haemonculus!!! Take that iKnight and chop its legs off, add a big scorpion tail (necrosphinx maybe), smooth out some of those rivets/etc. and its mask, throw some fleshy bits into its torso and arms, lean it forward a bit and mount it on a cut down flyer stand, and add a liberal sprinkling of tubes/drug dispensers/bone racks/etc., and voila, super heavy talos courtesy of the Ebon Sting.  Desperate allies because Dark Eldar have to resist the urge to be awestruck by how glorious/dangerous/pain inducing it is and/or revel in the waves of agony it emits.

Same goes for wraithknights.  Stock wraithknight shoe horned into a DE army = lame.  This guy as part of a DE army = Shocked affraid Twisted Evil

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 07:01

The Shredder wrote:
Vasara wrote:

Also death of fun.

Yes if you have a subpar list yourself and are not prepared to fight against top tier lists. Other players look for different aspects of a game and your definition of "fun" is not true to all 40k players. Or even all DE players.

The DE WK looks cool.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 10:02

Vasara wrote:

Yes if you have a subpar list yourself and are not prepared to fight against top tier lists.

Either show me where I even mentioned power level, or else come back when you have an argument and not a barn full of straw.

Vasara wrote:
Other players look for different aspects of a game and your definition of "fun" is not true to all 40k players. Or even all DE players.

Except that IKs are inherently boring to face. That's literally how their rules were designed.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 14:10

Do i wish I could play a pure DE list competitively? yes, and I do sometimes, but sadly, if you mix DE with other armies that negate their shortcomings, they become a much better army.

I mean hell, the Eldar sub army of corsairs is miles better than our dex, yet still we struggle on.

If DE were capable of competing regularly, i would say taking Knight allies is nothing but a crutch to make a sub-par player able to compete.
Sadly, taking them now makes a good player just barely able to compete.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 14:44

Skulnbonz wrote:
Do i wish I could play a pure DE list competitively? yes, and I do sometimes, but sadly, if you mix DE with other armies that negate their shortcomings, they become a much better army.

I mean hell, the Eldar sub army of corsairs is miles better than our dex, yet still we struggle on.

If DE were capable of competing regularly, i would say taking Knight allies is nothing but a crutch to make a sub-par player able to compete.
Sadly, taking them now makes a good player just barely able to compete.

Still seems odd to turn to Imperial Knights. I mean, why not use Eldar allies and take a Wraithknight instead?
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 14:53

Honestly, because I have an Imperial Knight and was wondering if it would benefit DE as well as my Marines.

Fluff on this one is dead. I'm not arguing. Creative minds can make it work, but from canon, you are totally right. Don't get me wrong, Wraithknights are fine additions for durability, killing power, and painting a bullseye.

I'm simply asking what can a Knight bring. There have been plenty of threads and discussion on the merits of Eldar.

This would be more for goofing off than a fluffy tournament/long term list.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 15:05

I recently bought a Glottkin for a friend's birthday and I'm currently putting it together and priming it for her. I'm sorely tempted to buy another for myself and replace the Nurgle guys on top of it with a Haemonculus and some Wracks to use as a 'counts as' Wraithknight or Imperial Knight. In terms of size, it's really not that far off!

Allied Imperial Knight 954696_10152360711101400_1583287235522161904_n
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 16:49

The Shredder wrote:

Still seems odd to turn to Imperial Knights. I mean, why not use Eldar allies and take a Wraithknight instead?

Oh, I do, I own a converted Nagash Wraithknight. In fact, I don't own any Imperial Knights (yet), but I have thought of using them. I just think you cant criticize people looking for something, anything to hold on to to stay afloat in the cesspool of GW power creep.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 17:41

Count Adhemar wrote:
I recently bought a Glottkin for a friend's birthday and I'm currently putting it together and priming it for her. I'm sorely tempted to buy another for myself and replace the Nurgle guys on top of it with a Haemonculus and some Wracks to use as a 'counts as' Wraithknight or Imperial Knight. In terms of size, it's really not that far off!

Oh, that is a fantastic idea.
You could use parts from a Raider of a Venom to make him a small dais on top. That looks wonderful in my mind.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 19:03

If I'm ever buying an Imperial Knight, it'll support my Space Marines (although I'm planing to give it a Sisters of Battle paint scheme). I don't want my units to just stand there and eye eachother suspiciously.

I was thinking about converting a Dark Elf dragon or even Archaon's new chimera to count as a Wraith Knight, but I have my doubts that it would pay off.
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04 2015, 19:20

How would you use the Knight? Pick a flank and walk forward? Center field? The 12" bubble could be significant. How would you minimize the impact?

What targets do you have?

What do you leave out of the remaining DE components? What do you make sure is in the list?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Allied Imperial Knight   Allied Imperial Knight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Allied Imperial Knight
Page 1 of 1