THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre Empty
PostSubject: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09 2016, 19:21

Hi chaps,

Some of you might remember my various Mandrake Conversions:

Void Seer::

Corsair Prince with Void Sabre and Jet Pack::

Anyway, I'm attempting to continue that with a Jetbike Corsair Prince (or maybe Baron). I haven't started painting him yet, but here are a few pictures just to give you an idea:

Jetbike Prince WIP:

What I'm looking for is a replacement sword to represent a Void Sabre. With the Jet Pack Prince above I used a Huskblade, but that was the only one I own (and, besides, it would be nice to differentiate them a little more Wink ). So, any suggestions as to what I could use?

Also, is there anything I could put on the skyboard to make it look more eldritch-y?

Oh, one other thing - I know it's hard to tell since the model is unpainted, but do you think this would be better as a Prince or a Baron? I ask because I have another of these mandrakes, so if he'd be better as a Baron I could make a second one while I'm at it. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 04:31

I'm a fan of the harlequin swords for this purpose.  They aren't too obviously power swords, and contain an eldar glyph.  They also manage to look both clean and wicked at the same time.
Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre 20160111
Wip - Prince(s) Stairmaster and Drazharwithwings

Still no idea how to paint the blades.

I expect you could also go with the wraithblade swords, since I think those are made out of wraithbone and look pretty wicked.  They're fairly large though and would be more of a 2 handed weapon on an average sized model.

As for the baron/prince debate.  I don't know what either would really look like.  The guy on the left for example could easily be a baron or a felarch, but he'll most often just be be a prince in low point games.  I don't think I'll be putting many void sabres on barons, as the str 5 rending weapon (on a prince) seems more worth 20 points than a str 4 one (on a baron).  Pros and cons as always though.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 11:30

Ah, that sword looks perfect. Thanks very much. Smile

I agree with you that Void Sabres probably aren't worth it on Barons (even Venom Blades are pretty pricey). But, I want to replace his sword either way, if only for aesthetic reasons.

In terms of painting the sword, I've based a few 'void/darkness' weapons on this:

Not my work, sadly:

I rather like the 'dark blade with bright edge' look. It was what I was going for when I did my Prince's Void Sabre above, though I also made it brighter at the tip.

There's also these, though they might be a bit too bright.

Also not mine:

An alternative might be to simply paint the blade black. I've so far avoided this on mine, as it looked too similar to their skin. Also, I'm not sure whether it would be better to just paint it black and call it a day, or to try and add some shading/detail (but risk making it more grey and losing the 'void' effect). Perhaps something like this guy's sword:

Still not my work:
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 12:20

https://servimg.com/view/19295128/17

What do you think about that fairly easy lightning effect as an alternative?

Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 12:28

CptMetal wrote:
https://servimg.com/view/19295128/17

What do you think about that fairly easy lightning effect as an alternative?

Looks good to me. Could be quite appropriate if the Prince is also leading a Voidstorm band. Wink

Not sure I'd find it easy though. Razz
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 12:58

1. Put dark blue drops where the lightning touches the edge of the blade

2. Put in those a smaller drop light blue

3. Connect those with white lightning like lines.

You can try it on a piece of paper first.

Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 13:02

CptMetal wrote:
1. Put dark blue drops where the lightning touches the edge of the blade

2. Put in those a smaller drop light blue

3. Connect those with white lightning like lines.

You can try it on a piece of paper first.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Smile
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 13:52

I'll try to put up a close up for you here today...

Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 13:53

That would be useful.

Also, could you possibly do a picture that shows more of the flat of the blade?
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2016, 17:57

Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre Dsc_3012

Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre Dsc_3011

That´s the best I could do with my phone...

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre   Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corsair Prince WIP - looking for Void Sabre
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: