THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Void Shield Generator

Go down 
+12
Hellstrom
Render Noir
killedbydeath
Squidmaster
lessthanjeff
hydranixx
CptMetal
Xm0shcryptX
Razkien
colinsherlow
Talos
Its_Rumble
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Void Shield Generator Empty
PostSubject: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30 2016, 02:38

Looking into making one for my army as a way of circumventing Scalpel Squadron as a null deploy tactic.

Who here has experience with a VSG with 3 shields? how well has it stopped against Drop pod assault armies / alpha strike ETC.

Thanks for the input.

Kabalite Warrior
Talos

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30 2016, 02:50

The voidshild generator is very good. I haven’t played with one myself, but is apparently so good that been banned in the Swedish tournament environment for over a year now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30 2016, 03:02

I have been playing one and it is really good.

I have a hard time imaging a space elf army without one.

Kabalite Warrior
Razkien

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30 2016, 23:23

Where do you buy this?

I mean, I'd probably get it off of eBay if I were to buy one but I did a search on the GW site as well as the FW site and didn't find any results.

Do people make their own?

Link would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 00:42

It was a limited edition model. So no long available unless you find it on Ebay for around 400 I think. I'm planning on making my own out of these kits.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Numinous-Occulum

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Wall-of-Martyrs-Vengeance-Weapon-Battery

I'll use the base of the battery and then the orb and walls of the Occulum to make my own. It's rather large a bit taller than an imperial knight but not quite as thick.

And I played two games last night with it and it is worth all of its points. Took about 15 melta to get through the 3 shields. Which is obviously bad rolls but still. Worth it.

Kabalite Warrior
Razkien

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 01:11

Thanks Rumble!

Much appreciated

Regards,
Raz
Back to top Go down
Xm0shcryptX
Kabalite Warrior
Xm0shcryptX

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 07:03

Let's be serious for a moment. It certainly sounds good but will this realistically stop tau? I highly doubt riptides would have any difficulty with this at all. then you just lost 100 points
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 07:05

well it took 15 meltas to get through 3 shields. If it takes a riptide to take it down you have made it's points already. S7 still has to glance on 5s. BS3? Tau has a lot of mid range shooting. Even if a Stormsurge shoots at it ive made points back already.

Kabalite Warrior
Xm0shcryptX

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 07:17

A riptide? I wish it was A riptide. It's always 3-5, or there's formations, not to mention marker lights so they are basically never bs 3. This generator would die so fast in my meta and everything behind it would soon follow.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 07:26

I'm not arguing that it will go down. But the point is that it's going to absorb enough damage to get it's points back. Plus they come back

Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 08:34

You play games against 3-5 riptide simultaneously??? How many points? Do they want to lose friends or...

Sorry for the rant, I'm speechless.

Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 08:37

90% of my games are ITC tournament practice games.

Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 10:03

CptMetal wrote:
You play games against 3-5 riptide simultaneously??? How many points? Do they want to lose friends or...

Sorry for the rant, I'm speechless.

I had exactly the same thought. What a fun 1-3 hours game.

Its_Rumble wrote:
90% of my games are ITC tournament practice games.

Don't you find that merely means that for every 10 games you play, 9 of them are multiple hours of stress and the 10th you actually get to kick back and have fun?

"Of course you should fight fire with fire! You should fight everything with fire."
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 13:41

I think I'm more surprised that some of you aren't seeing 3+ riptides in your games with the new riptide wing formation. I don't feel like the games are especially unfun or stressful though.

I just played in an ITC event yesterday using a corsair list with a 3 shield VSG. It did great work for me. Completely shut down a scouting grav biker list and another space marine player dropping and flying in on turn one. I had a lot of scouting vehicles from the corsair army though so I was able to fill the area and prevent movement within it pretty well. I did get seized on by a space wolf player and he was able to get one drop pod unit inside the bubble turn one but the damage from that was minimal.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 15:35

My personal experience comes from using a VSG with an Inquisition army,. and found that althgough the defensive ability is amazing, it can easily cause problems against fast bike armies or anything with a Drop Pod. All your opponent had to do is land a Drop Pod inside the range of the shield, and the shield becomes useless. Worse, he gains its benefit against anything you have outside of the field.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 15:58

What exactly are the rules for it?

Kabalite Warrior
Xm0shcryptX

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 17:48

I almost exclusively play 1850
I just did a tournament last night and this guy brought 5 riptides, it's a freaking joke, can't stay out of range 30-72", can't stay out of line of sight (sms) can't use cover to live (they ignore cover) I'm sure 1 of these 5 would drop the shield and then they feast on dark eldar souls.
Sorry for the rant, against next to anything else (lookin at you drop pods -_-) this sounds amazing and would definitely give much needed survivability. I just won't ever win a tournament because no amount amount of dark eldar can deal with that much tau fire power. If I don't reserve stuff I easily can lose 6 or more units/vehicles if they are nice and don't decide to shoot twice lol. Oh ok so reserve is the way to go! Oh wait no 5 riptides intercept the hell out of you and everything that came on has to jink or die and usually does anyway. If he wasn't my best friend id hate him lol anyone else who plays tau to that extent I lose all respect for, it's a massive crutch army, not much skill needed just point shoot kill
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 18:52

Sounds like a VSG would help you out a lot then.

Kabalite Warrior
Xm0shcryptX

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 18:56

I will certainly give it a trial run but I don't expect a great deal of difference against tau players. against everyone else I agree it can be amazing,
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 19:47

It's going to do better than you think. Whether or not markerlights affect shots against it is arguable.

Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31 2016, 22:52

I mind facing riptides far more when I'm playing MEQ armies than I do as Dark Eldar. I run very small units though so I generally find the riptides can only kill a couple venoms a turn and that they aren't earning their points at all. Alternatively, take a grotesquerie or two and boost straight into their face. I've found it's a good matchup against them as their shooting isn't particularly effective.

For the VSG, the drop pod and scouting armies can be kept at bay if you get access to get some good scouting units to fill the zone. Most opponents are wary of dropping in on the area close to the table edge too since they can scatter off and mishap, so if you're short on units to fill the area leave those spots open. It generally does very well against Riptides too as each one can only hope to knock out a single shield (and that's assuming it gets the hit and armor pen it needs)
Back to top Go down
killedbydeath
Hellion
killedbydeath

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2016, 10:00

I have been thinking about being a void shield gen. The thing will help soo much against deep strike units with flamethrowers, all 5 str shoots or worse, if your opponent isn't bringing tons of high str. Shots it will take a lot of the beating your army would take if you didn't have it
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2016, 10:38

For drop pod armies you have to have a way to fill the zone though. It's easier said than done especially on dawn of war deployment where some of your protected area will be outside your deployment. If you don't fill that with units to keep them from landing in it, then they'll just drop inside the bubble and get to avoid it.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2016, 17:31

Filling in the VSG is too hard.

If you find you are having a hard time you can deploy the VSG closer to your table edge to reduce the size of the bubble.

Slave
Render Noir

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2016, 19:28

I agree with the group its great to have the protection from alpha strikes

My biggest headaches with VSG
a) RSR does not have a fortification slot, so you have to go CAD to get one
b) in the later parts of the game I need to be grabbing objectives well outside the range of the shield
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Void Shield Generator   Void Shield Generator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Void Shield Generator
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next