THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

3d printed heat lances

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

3d printed heat lances Empty
PostSubject: 3d printed heat lances   3d printed heat lances I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17 2016, 02:17

So, I was annoyed by bitz shops always being out of stock of the weapons I wanted, and decided to 3d print the heat lances I wanted instead. I took some measurements, designed the model in Blender, and printed it at Shapeways.

The result
It came out pretty well:
3d printed heat lances Printe10

This was with their Frosted Ultra Detail plastic, which I believe is printed by using a UV laser to cure wax. Aside from being a really cool image, this process seems able to remove the layering which is often seen with the additive manufacturing style of 3d printing. I was pretty impressed with the amount of detail that it holds; I was even able to model a bore in the muzzle, so I wouldn't have to drill out the barrel!

I did make just a couple of minor changes to the traditional heat lance design - most noticeably, I did away with the whipper-snipper grip, in favour of a pistol grip. While I prefer it this way, it also has the advantage that when magnetising, only the right arm needs to be magnetised; the left arm that crooks the weapon can be used for the heat lance as well as the shardcarbine, blaster or whatever.

So, with these in hand, I set about putting them in my models' hands!

Working with the material
The Frosted Ultra Detail plastic is quite brittle. While it should be tough enough for gaming use, it means that rather than cutting it with a knife, you are using a knife to snap parts off. Naturally, for me, this meant snapping off the pistol grip (I included it on the off chance I would want to have one on a rack, or carried but not wielded) to replace with a Kabalite rifle holding arm and hand.

I also found that despite their being no mould lines (cheers), there were still some artifacts from the manufacturing process Crying or Very sad. On the bright side, the material responds well to filing, so these should be simple to remove. I didn't remove them, because I was slightly deceived by the translucency of the printed models; in the end however I could see them through the paint. Oh well! They're still more than passable at tabletop standard, and not all of the prints I received had artifacts, but next time I would definitely file them back.

Putting it together
I clipped the rifle off a Kabalite arm, taking care to keep the pistol grip intact, and carved away the stock from the arm.

3d printed heat lances Splint10

In this case I was a bit too reckless and lost the trigger guard, although I was able to preserve it in some.

Next, cut (snap!) off the pistol grip from the printed heat lance, and after filing the join area flat, glue the weapon to the hand.

3d printed heat lances Assemb10

I found superglue worked very well to bind the two materials. I suspect poly cement wouldn't bond as well with the Frosted Plastic.

After that, I just had to paint it. I had no problem with paint covering the material, which was a relief, but of course I don't yet know how long it will take to wear off Wink.

Comparison
On the left is a scourge carrying one of my 3d printed heat lances. On the right is the heat lance that comes with the kit:

3d printed heat lances Compar10

The manufacturing artifact is some ringing around the barrel and muzzle, which you might not be able to see at this zoom.

Here's a (slightly washed out, sorry) group shot of the deep strike heroes:

3d printed heat lances Group10

Three of the heat lances are 3d printed, the one in the bottom left is the only one from the kit.

Conclusion
I was pleasantly surprised at how well these turned out. I feel that this technology really opens doors, especially for those of us who are not particularly good sculptors, but still want to customise our models.

From here, I have a few other ideas for bitz, such as some scopes for my Kabalites splinter rifles to give them a more 'special forces' look, and perhaps some extra pouches and suchlike. I'm also considering some hands making various gestures, like pointing, 'stop', two fingers up, etc. I'm open to ideas! Very Happy

Finally, if you want some more heat lances, whether for you scourges or because you want to flout footnote 1 and equip your warriors with a proper special weapon, I've made this available to buy at Shapeways. Print your own here!

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Carcearion
Slave
Carcearion

PostSubject: Re: 3d printed heat lances   3d printed heat lances I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18 2016, 21:42

Wow that is awesome! Another reason to wish i had a 3d printer
Back to top Go down
Colej
Slave
Colej

PostSubject: Re: 3d printed heat lances   3d printed heat lances I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19 2016, 01:21

Would you ever think about selling some of these? Finding the right weapons on Ebay is a pain in the ass sometimes Smile
Back to top Go down
Carcearion
Slave
Carcearion

PostSubject: Re: 3d printed heat lances   3d printed heat lances I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19 2016, 03:33

I concur with Colej, just call them Space Drow Heat Guns and your home free as far as I can tell looking at the third party companies that are springing up.
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

PostSubject: Re: 3d printed heat lances   3d printed heat lances I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19 2016, 04:41

Colej wrote:
Would you ever think about selling some of these? Finding the right weapons on Ebay is a pain in the ass sometimes Smile

The bright side of Shapeways is that you can, indeed, sell your 3d prints through their site. They do all the printing, delivery etc, so it's just point and click to get more sweet, sweet 3d printed bits.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/creepingdarkness

Carcearion wrote:
I concur with Colej, just call them Space Drow Heat Guns and your home free as far as I can tell looking at the third party companies that are springing up.

I went with 'Thermal Laser' Wink

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Carcearion
Slave
Carcearion

PostSubject: Re: 3d printed heat lances   3d printed heat lances I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19 2016, 17:17

Have you considered also doing some blasters? People always need more of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3d printed heat lances   3d printed heat lances I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3d printed heat lances
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: