THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hemlock wraithfighter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

Hemlock wraithfighter Empty
PostSubject: Hemlock wraithfighter   Hemlock wraithfighter I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02 2016, 05:21

I'm about to pick one up as I have a perfectly 190 PT shaped hole in my list that has a LOT of leadership tricks.

My question is; do you think it best to roll on telepathy or runes of battle?

Starting with the primaris, battle gives guaranteed shrouded for a 2+ jink save, which forces snap shots but in no way diminishes it's ability to apply the copious amounts of debuffs available in the tree. Now the relative usefulness of each debuff varies from dud (quicken/restrain) to really meh (empower/enervate, the ws/Init one) to nice, (destructor/renewer which is made nicer by having a wraithknight to heal) to really good (protect/jinx as my archon doesn't need that dang ap2 now, embolden/horrify because we're talking leadership 3 max for anyone near my deathstar and embolden could save a fleeing corsair unit which I have). So we have 3 meh, 2-3 that are good/great and a primaris that ensures your flyer is going to stay around for an annoyingly long time.

Telepathy.
Psychic shriek makes use of all that leadership debuff I have and it never hurts to have a second shriek, but jinking will greatly reduce the effectiveness.
Dominate is potentially amazing with all the other debuffs in the list and could cause a high value target to do absolutely nothing for a turn.
Mental fortitude follows the same principle as embolden but without the debuff.
Terrify is inferior in ways to horrify but has the added affect of forcing a leadership check all by itself (which the hemlock will add another -2 to the -1 if they are within 12")
Shrouding carries all the benefits of conceal without the situational versatility of reveal but with the added benefit of buffing anyone within 6" of his very large base. (Only one model needs to be close and you've got shrouded for the whole unit)
Invisibility is invisibility, rage inducing, friend losing invisibility. This is a huge pro and con.
Hallucinate is a mixed bag, pinning has its uses in such a heavy leadership debuff list, the second result is a decent debuff but the third result is really iffy unless it's orks or something. A little too random.

So telepathy has fewer duds but battle has more survivability guaranteed as well as some very nice tools. My current leaning is battle against anyone with serious anti air and telepathy otherwise?

And of course a single roll on sanctic for banishment against daemons is always an option.

Sorry for the wall of text post, I'd love any counter points or elaborations and if nothing else this musing helped me order my thoughts and hopefully it might assist anyone else wondering to themselves.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Hemlock wraithfighter   Hemlock wraithfighter I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02 2016, 06:11

I wouldn't bother with Satanic on this fella.

Ruins of battle cam be very good on occasion and can have its place in some battles. Like against war convocation where they can easily get stealth/shrouded in there army. You can use reveal to remove stealth/shrouded from a unit you really want to hurt.
Buuuut telepathy can almost always be useful. I also think telepathy suits the hemlock's role on the battle field much more. And that is disrupting enemy leadership.
Shriek is always great and is awesome for causing wounds on basically everything. Just the threat of shriek will make people think twice about what they are doing. Especially if you have a terrify or two and maybe even the armour of misery or mask of secrets. I tend to run a few models woth shrieks in this way and I love it.

With shriek and 2 D blasts you can be sure to get some solid shooting out of the hemlock.

You can always see if you can roll shrouding from telepathy if you are worried about survivability. If you don't get it on the first roll swap is for shriek and roll on ruins of battle and try for horrify or default to conceal/reveal.

Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Hemlock wraithfighter   Hemlock wraithfighter I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02 2016, 07:33

I think that was going to be my go to roll. Once on telepathy, if it was too good to pass up then again on telepathy to grant psychic shriek.

Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Hemlock wraithfighter   Hemlock wraithfighter I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03 2016, 04:38

Sanctic is freaking hilarious with it! Cleansing flame and vortex are both brilliant on such a mobile platform.

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Hemlock wraithfighter   Hemlock wraithfighter I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03 2016, 05:01

My issue with vortex would be the difficulty in casting and not being to if you jinked. Same with the flamethrower.

I agree it could be great, especially against daemons, but there are so many duds (gate, hammerhead, sanctuary). Not bad for a first roll maybe against daemons and if you don't swap for the primaris you could roll again.

PostSubject: Re: Hemlock wraithfighter   Hemlock wraithfighter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hemlock wraithfighter
Page 1 of 1