THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails

Go down 
+15
GrenAcid
adesapere
Local_Ork
WeeDawgNYC
ShotDownMind
Baron Tordeck
Archon
Malte
The Strange Dude
DrBored
Rangrok1k
Krovin-Rezh
Sky Serpent
Xelkireth
depayen
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
depayen
Hellion
depayen

Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails Empty
PostSubject: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeTue May 24 2011, 16:15

I am trying to understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails. Plus when the best time use them or take advantage of them. Right now in my mind they seem to lack any real benefit except last round movement to contest or claim objectives.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeTue May 24 2011, 16:46

depayen wrote:
I am trying to understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails. Plus when the best time use them or take advantage of them. Right now in my mind they seem to lack any real benefit except last round movement to contest or claim objectives.
I don't think there is a point to them. They're a waste of points. Just like Star Engines.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeTue May 24 2011, 17:47

Flat out Raiders from reserves using Aethersails get your Wyches into position a lot quicker with just one round of shooting to face.

I have also toyed around with the idea of a camper unit with a Raider with a Shock Prow and Aethersails to kamikaze a Land Raider.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeTue May 24 2011, 21:44

I could see enhanced aethersails being helpful in making use of chain-snares. Remember that the snares cause hits on any unengaged non-vehicle unit the Raider passes over, regardless of how many units that happens to be, or how fast it is moving. It's just a shame we can't ram a vehicle while snagging fools with the snares (they would take a tank shock test instead). That would be downright cool.

Hellion

Location : The Spires of upper Commorragh, amongst the Scourges

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 03:14

you could use them to pull off some str 8+(2d6/3)+d3 rams (which basically means, free str 10 hit). If someone knocks off your weapon.... WEEEEEEEEE *Smash*
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 03:22

I'm seeing some possibilities with the aether sails... I never thought of the shock prow ramming combo. The only reason why I like shock prows is that they make the hull bigger for a larger disembark area.
Back to top Go down
DrBored
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 04:45

I didn't think the shock prow counted towards the hull profile, rather that it was a spiky bit. I always considered the hull to be the main plating area, going back to the back but not counting the rudder, and up to the front but not counting the pointy end...
Back to top Go down
Rangrok1k
Hellion

Location : The Spires of upper Commorragh, amongst the Scourges

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 04:59

DrBored wrote:
I didn't think the shock prow counted towards the hull profile, rather that it was a spiky bit. I always considered the hull to be the main plating area, going back to the back but not counting the rudder, and up to the front but not counting the pointy end...

Well, debatably, you can have a Dark Eldar crazy enough to ride the very tip of the prow. They are already traveling at mach speeds with nothing but a chain and hook keeping them from turning into a red smear on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 06:44

When you ram a vehicle, you're using the hull to make contact. Would you ignore the shock prow for that? I know I wouldn't, and therefore I have to count the prow as hull when disembarking or for LOS.

Getting back on topic, more movement is always good. Enhanced aethersails don't do much on their own, but they enhance (lol) shock prow and chain-snares. Also consider the advantages of being able to move further into enemy lines with something like crucible of malediction or maybe archangel of pain (with torment grenade launchers added for good measure). The AoP is less useful, since you really want to be assaulting at the same time you use it, but the CoM is capable of hurting psyker-heavy armies like GK, Eldar, and Nids.

Master of Raids
The Strange Dude

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 07:53

Krovin-Rezh wrote:

Getting back on topic, more movement is always good. Enhanced aethersails don't do much on their own, but they enhance (lol) shock prow and chain-snares. Also consider the advantages of being able to move further into enemy lines with something like crucible of malediction or maybe archangel of pain (with torment grenade launchers added for good measure). The AoP is less useful, since you really want to be assaulting at the same time you use it, but the CoM is capable of hurting psyker-heavy armies like GK, Eldar, and Nids.

Except using either is in place of shooting and if your on a vehicle that has turbo-boosted which using aether sail require you cab niether fire nor disembark to fire if you can't shoot you can't use the crucible.

Aether sails are usefull for re-deploying your army when opponents get too close; setting up for next turn charges (even from reserve); last turn contesting and adding str for rams/distance for snares.

In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 16:15

Krovin-Rezh wrote:
When you ram a vehicle, you're using the hull to make contact. Would you ignore the shock prow for that? I know I wouldn't, and therefore I have to count the prow as hull when disembarking or for LOS.
Orks count the Deff Rolla don't they?
Back to top Go down
Malte
Slave
Malte

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 18:00

Xelkireth wrote:
Krovin-Rezh wrote:
Orks count the Deff Rolla don't they?

As an ork player I use the rolla for ramming but not for disembarking.
But I'm a huge scrub while playing my orks, its my silly army.
The rule book states that "Models can embark or disembark within 2" of any point of the vehicle" so I guess you could use the prow for an extra inch.
Back to top Go down
depayen
Hellion
depayen

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 19:20

Yes, but I will not let the Ork player disembark out the front of there vehicle because you can only disembark 2" inch from the hull of the vehicle and the deff-rolla occupies that space.
Back to top Go down
depayen
Hellion
depayen

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 19:21

Darn a little slow on my reply.
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 19:25

I think what I am describing is called the Denied Flank, but I could be wrong.

Deploy your units in a long line, or your raider/ravagers all on one side of the deployment zone. Your opponent will also place some units there to counter them. In your turn (useing the Sails for extra movement) you move them flat out to the other side of your deployment zone. Now your entire force will be facing only a portion of his.

I am probably explaining this badly, and would be willing to go into more detail if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 02:26

Archon wrote:
I think what I am describing is called the Denied Flank, but I could be wrong.

Deploy your units in a long line, or your raider/ravagers all on one side of the deployment zone. Your opponent will also place some units there to counter them. In your turn (useing the Sails for extra movement) you move them flat out to the other side of your deployment zone. Now your entire force will be facing only a portion of his.

I am probably explaining this badly, and would be willing to go into more detail if anyone is interested.
Yep, thats denied flank and you described it just fine.

Interesting tactic but if its Ravs I wouldnt want to waste the turn by not shooting.

Forum Rules - Read and Obey - Or Else!
Back to top Go down
ShotDownMind
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 13:50

Shock prows do not pay off for ramming, even with extra inches. Unless you roll a 3 or ram the back of a rhino, the results are rarely awesome.

Enhanced sails give you a lot of options. Wych units dont need to shoot, and that 1 lance on the raider probably not needed or necessary in most applications. Aether sails give a whole extra pressure element to smart opponents that refuse to segment thier forces for you. Because you can hop over thier defensive lines or formations, or move from one flank to the other easily. Deploying from reserve the aethersails have even more benefit for the same reasons.

Smart players dont deploy right on the 12" line and leave thier vehicles and heavy units lanes of travel and avenues of fire. Each inch lets you deny him space and movement and options even more. A knee or hip blocked is a kick or punch never thrown, - and not available either - Aethersails let you stuff your opponent where you need him, even after turn 2, or from reserve.

cherry
Back to top Go down
WeeDawgNYC
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 01:25

I just started DE about 2 weeks ago & I use aether sails all the time, having a beatstick travel across the table smack dab in the lap of some softeee unit is great..the look on your opponents face is even better.

Now shock prows I rarely use. I for one value the paper planes & being quite expensive as they are I dont wish to throw them away on a chance (remember that the rammee gets to attack back) But when I do I add torment launcher & eathersails to the mix & line her up & let the failed tank shocks begin..lol its a fun add on but not a game breaker per say.

MY 1st POST!!!!
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 01:43

Dude. Your avatar is way to big.
Back to top Go down
WeeDawgNYC
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 01:49

I fixed it. Dont know how that happend..lol
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 02:03

It was weird. It seriously took up half the screen.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 02:37

Baron Tordeck wrote:
Yep, thats denied flank and you described it just fine.

Interesting tactic but if its Ravs I wouldnt want to waste the turn by not shooting.

You have time to die, but not to wait...

Don't worry, with Assault Phase You may double damage you inflict AND minimalise casualities (Wyches are meh without cover/4+ inv).

Not gonna work too well for non CC armies tho.

Last edited by Local_Ork on Fri Jun 10 2011, 02:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 02:38

Moving this to Tactics as it seems like a more natural home for this topic.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
WeeDawgNYC
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 02:57

Xelkireth wrote:
It was weird. It seriously took up half the screen.

Yeah I noticed, dont know how it got past the pixel limit filters??? I breeched your site!..lol
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 03:35

Maybe image was in "magic number" size Razz?
Anyway I like Sails, but would LOVE if you could move 6"+2d6" and shoot (kinda like 7" move on RPJ Trukk).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails   Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Understand the use for enhanced Aether Sails
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next