THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

8th Edition 40k

Go down 
+26
Marrath
Nyx_Necrodragon
Barking Agatha
amorrowlyday
Rokuro
stilgar27
1++
scscofield
Calyptra
Tittliewinks22
Squidmaster
krayd
Count Adhemar
The_Burning_Eye
Painjunky
fisheyes
Creeping Darkness
Woozl
CptMetal
The Strange Dark One
Jimsolo
Evil Space Elves
CurstAlchemist
doriii
mrmagoo
BetrayTheWorld
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 20:33

So apparently over on faeit212, they're saying "an extremely reliable source" has indicated 40k will be getting a new edition this fall. Hopefully it'll be well-coordinated with our new codex, so that there aren't a bunch of nonsensical rules contradictions.
Back to top Go down
mrmagoo
Sybarite
mrmagoo

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 21:01

This would make sense with the rumored Dark Eldar codex. Release a new DE codex and then in the next month change everything up making the codex useless. Goes along with the rest of our codexs.
Back to top Go down
doriii
Sybarite
doriii

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 21:05

mrmagoo wrote:
This would make sense with the rumored Dark Eldar codex. Release a new DE codex and then in the next month change everything up making the codex useless.  Goes along with the rest of our codexs.

this sound horrible but very likely

streamlining 40k can be a good thing, but of course it has to be done properly pale
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 21:05

If rumors of an 8th edition Dark Eldar Codex prove to be true I just hope it doesn't wind up the same as out 7th edition where they change direction again and we are left behind the power creep.

The rumor of streamlining has me a bit worried though. I fear simplification to the point of AoS which would destroy the game for me personally.

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2016/05/warhammer-40k-new-edition-coming.html
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 23:00

I assume the "streamlining" part of the rumor has more to do with streamlining the selection process for units/formations rather than the CAD/Codex-specific Detachments/Formations. There will surely be some rules cleanup as well, but I suspect the formation thing will become more of the norm than using CAD's.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 23:13

Evil Space Elves wrote:
I assume the "streamlining" part of the rumor has more to do with streamlining the selection process for units/formations rather than the CAD/Codex-specific Detachments/Formations. There will surely be some rules cleanup as well, but I suspect the formation thing will become more of the norm than using CAD's.

One can only hope.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 23:38

Dark Eldar one of the first Codices for 8th edition? Possible.

But then I suppose 8th edition will tone down the game again to a reasonable level... just before GW decides to kick it up a few notches half a year later Razz
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 23:49

That would be preferable to being the last codex for 7th...
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 23:50

Evil Space Elves wrote:

I hope this is the case.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2016, 23:56

Jimsolo wrote:
That would be preferable to being the last codex for 7th...

Unless they do it like they did with this codex, where they rush it out, copy and paste the old codex, drop several things, nerf 30 stats, add 2 special weapons, and make it a NEW BIG THING!

I recall opening up the DE codex, so excited and reading the entire thing cover to cover in one day. When I closed the back cover, I was very sad. Then I came on here and told people why I was sad, and they told me to stop being a doomsayer, and that it wasn't that bad.

2 years later, I'm still here, but I don't see most of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With our 5th ed codex, it lasted throughout 6th edition without needing an update. Honestly, if they never would have released the new DE book, even now, I'd be happier. The covens book could have still come out, just compatible with the 5th ed book instead of the sad excuse for a codex we recieved in 7th ed.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 00:05

I think the dark Eldar book is bad when you compare it to other books because:

A we lack cool and powerful formations.

B we lack the tools to kill the big stuff like gargantuan creatures.

The rest is comparably minor but that can ruin your day.

Well, perhaps include a
C we need stuff to harass psychic guys reliably.

Kabalite Warrior
Woozl

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 00:12

I would love it if they overhaul some rules that have gotten out of hand. On my list generally:

- Streamline force selection.

- Tone down the allies matrix or address IC stacking / look out sirs etc. I think this addresses a lot of game balance issues.

- Rebalance unit types that are out of whack - bikes relative to jump infantry for example, or transported units vs. units with mobility (bikes / jet / jump / etc.)

-Generally, figure out how to powerful they want GMC / FGMC / SHWs relative to basic units, including addressing D and stomp.

- Address flyers and death from the skies so that it is either included default or very clearly separate, including how FMCs fit in.
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 00:57

Already? Feels like 7th has only been out for 5 minutes...

If they fix snap shots and somehow address the imbalances between super-heavy/gargantuans and less powerful entities, or indeed address the discrepancies between monstrous/gargantuan creatures and vehicles/units then it might be worthwhile.

It's kinda suck if it's only a few tweaks of how to choose your army and slightly rearranged missions, although I suppose on the other hand if there aren't any sweeping changes I can probably get away without buying it.

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 01:05

Creeping Darkness wrote:
Already? Feels like 7th has only been out for 5 minutes...

It's been almost 2 years bub(1 year, 7 months). October 2014.

CptMetal wrote:
I think the dark Eldar book is bad when you compare it to other books because:

A we lack cool and powerful formations.

B we lack the tools to kill the big stuff like gargantuan creatures.

The rest is comparably minor but that can ruin your day.

Well, perhaps include a
C we need stuff to harass psychic guys reliably.
THEY HIT US WITH A HUGE UNNECESSARY NERFBAT ACROSS OUR ENTIRE CODEX. JUST REVERSE THE CHANGES AND CHARGE US FOR 5TH ED RULES AGAIN ALREADY!

Fixed that for ya bro.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 04:07

With GW issuing "Drafts" of an FAQ right now, I would be very suprised if they immediately make all the effort moot and create 8th.

Probably just a combined BRB along with "Death from the Skies", and all the other supplements a la "Angles of Death" to the SM codex
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 04:22

Or maybe they're using the draft process to lock down what changes they really need to make to 8th edition so that the next FAQ process isn't so brutal.

But it could go either way.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 09:18

New faction FAQs are already in progress, the ad mech/skitarii got them.

It seems odd to go to all this trouble only to start again with 8th...
Unless all new FAQs are included in 8th...
So if true that suggests not huge changes to the core rules at least...
Or maybe GW is just going completely, naked, raving, mental...
Again...
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 10:27

7th Ed was May 2014, so if the timeline for release is right it'll be just over 2 years.

This would be broadly in line with the very rough 4 year cycle (4th - 2004, 5th - 2008, 6th - 2012) they've followed since 4th edition. 3rd was slightly longer to allow them to release all the codices to that edition iirc.

I'm not at all surprised regarding the FAQ though, it seems perfectly logical to me that if you're jumping back into community engagement, even at this level, that once you've established what issues people have with the game, you work on a new set of rules to solve those issues. I'm not saying they'll appease everyone, or that they won't generate a new set of issues, but it seems a good place to feed into a new ruleset.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 10:36

I'm hoping that the FAQs are a sign that they're coming to realise that clear and concise rules make the game better for everyone. Not just for 'competitive' gamers or 'casual' gamers but all gamers.

BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 15:06

Count Adhemar wrote:
I'm hoping that the FAQs are a sign that they're coming to realise that clear and concise rules make the game better for everyone. Not just for 'competitive' gamers or 'casual' gamers but all gamers.

Well said.
Back to top Go down
mrmagoo
Sybarite
mrmagoo

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 15:07

Well, It has been said that the new CEO is a player of Warhammer 40k. Maybe he is just as frustrated with the rules as we are?
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 15:17

It is probably just going to be a revised version of 7th ed - probably with some errata put in. Maybe with a few other tweaks (it would be nice for stuff that lost pinning, like snipers, to get it back Razz). Maybe some changes to what 'Battle-forged' means. Unless they've radically changed their stance just recently, GW's apparent intent was to make 7th the 'last' big edition, with everything to follow being just minor tweaks (which, hopefully, would only require you to print a FAQ to insert in whatever copy of the book that you have, if you've already bought a BRB).
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 15:19

I remember there been rumours of thius a month or two back, saying that 8th would literally be a 7.5, and that there would be an Errata document to just update 7th if you can't be bothered getting the 8th book.
With Death from the Skies, and the effort going into FAQs, I am optimistic that this 8th will be an update.
Maybe, if we're lucky, "streamling" means getting rid of a few silly rules. Like No Escape maybe........?

http://www.escelionfilms.com
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 15:22

Squidmaster wrote:
I remember there been rumours of thius a month or two back, saying that 8th would literally be a 7.5, and that there would be an Errata document to just update 7th if you can't be bothered getting the 8th book.
With Death from the Skies, and the effort going into FAQs, I am optimistic that this 8th will be an update.
Maybe, if we're lucky, "streamling" means getting rid of a few silly rules. Like No Escape maybe........?

..or at least allow vehicle saves to be made before resolving 'no escape'... and/or allow jink saves vs. templates - it makes little sense for a fast skimmer to not be able to dodge a flamethrower.
Back to top Go down
mrmagoo
Sybarite
mrmagoo

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2016, 15:22

krayd wrote:
It is probably just going to be a revised version of 7th ed - probably with some errata put in. Maybe with a few other tweaks (it would be nice for stuff that lost pinning, like snipers, to get it back Razz). Maybe some changes to what 'Battle-forged' means. Unless they've radically changed their stance just recently, GW's apparent intent was to make 7th the 'last' big edition, with everything to follow being just minor tweaks (which, hopefully, would only require you to print a FAQ to insert in whatever copy of the book that you have, if you've already bought a BRB).

While I agree with this I really don't thing they will offer the "FAQ/Errata" to put in the back of the book. They would loose to much money. They would only offer a new book.

If they do offer its going to be $60 while a new version would be 75.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

8th Edition 40k Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition 40k   8th Edition 40k I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8th Edition 40k
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next