THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Umbralz
Hellion
Umbralz

A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750) Empty
PostSubject: A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)   A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750) I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2016, 16:27

Being a brand new player to 40k, but no stranger to tactics/point efficiency games, I was blown away by the lore, the stories fluff of 40k and more particularly the DE. Having done months of research and reading to look into if this hobby was right for me I decided to bite the bullet and get a couple of boxes and some paints. Played a few proxy games at one of the two places I have available to me. One a casual gaming spot with relaxed attitudes and very welcoming atmosphere, albeit fairly far away. The other, closer(which I haven't gone to yet) is known for a more competitive environment to which i'll be heading to tonight to check out!

Warning: Wall of Text!

Looking through the rulebook/codex it seems to me the Dark Eldar are a force that specializes in primarily speed with lots of capacity to take on heavy infantry forces, with options not so good for dealing with tanks at 1850 compared to their craftworld counterparts. In my very limited experience the real gems seem to be Corpse Thief Claw, Razorwings, Kabalite Warriors, Venoms with Reavers also seeming to be very good until I found out how many ignore cover save mechanics some of the popular armies currently have. My goal for my 1850 list is to make a competitive dark eldar list with...unfortunately a great deal of borrowing from our battle brothers to bolster anti-tank deficiencies.
Please correct me if i'm wrong or missing some special rules as I just don't see options nearly as points efficient or cost effective in some places, while being great in others. My smaller lists serve as maybe less competitive for casual games and decent segway markers as I feel units that are good at lower point games really fail to bring a punch in higher point ones.
Finally, with the two groups of players in mind, I love fighting/playing the most broken things in games but only if my opponent is doing the same. I don't enjoy brutally competitive builds in games against some army that's obviously built with story and fun in mind.

1850:
HQ:
Haemy: Webway portal 105
Autarch: Banshee mask, Fusion Gun, Shard of Anaris 125
Court of the Archon: Lhmaean + Venom w/ Splinter Cannon 75

Elite:
Fire Dragons x7: 186
1 Exarch
(Originally wanted them in a raider, now I just footslog with the Autatch and Haemy?)

Troops:
Kabalite Warriors x 5 + Venom w/ Splinter Cannon 105
x4

Windrider Jetbikes x 3 51

Fast Attack:
Razorwing Dark Lance, Splinter Cannons 150
x3

Lord Of War: Wraithknight 295

Last Slot unsure of either a Ravager, squad of Reaver Jetbikes(In which case I would drop the autarch's fusion gun for a laser lance and jetbike and probably run him here) and upgrades or (One of the players I met recommended) a Nightwing?
A Few minor questions on general setup: If the haemy + autarch is in the fire dragon squad can the fire dragon's still battle focus? If not, what if the Haemy dies?
Also not sure how the finer details of army lists work in terms of setting up the roster, I assume I run a CAD, 1 as realspace raiders, 1 with Eldar? Can you just take Eldar forces as alliies so I can drop things like the jetbikes, or in the event of a nightwing? Also very concerned about the overall performance with Death from the skies essentially nerfing razorwings but I do find them to be an amazing unit aesthetically.

750 Would essentially be drop the Eldar allies though i'm curious if people generally feel fliers are "cheese" in under 1000 point games? If so i'm unsure of what to do, I feel like it's my favorite looking unit in the DE list.

HQ:
Lhmaean + Venom w/ Splinter Cannon 75

Troops:
5 x Kabalite Warriors + Venom w/ Splinter Cannon 105
x3

Fast Attack:
Razorwing w/ Dark Lance + Splinter Cannon 150
x2
Reaver Jetbikes x 3 w/ 1 Caltrop 63

Leaving me with a few blasters or whatever. Scared the list wouldn't handle mechanized lists at that point level but hoping to be able to make the monetary costs easier to transition to higher point games. Could opt for a Ravager/raider conversion thingy i've seen talked about on the boards but i'm scared I wouldn't have a use for a raider with the new FAQ and a lone ravager at higher point values seems only good with multiple threats.
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)   A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750) I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2016, 23:20

WraithKnight is the best unit in the game.

Fire Dragons on foot might be"okay" but they would not be optimal that way. Aggressive enemies will find them to be an unwelcoming hedghog of course but Dark Eldar are nothing if not all about attacking. Defensive posture is really not the way to go with Dark Eldar.

Battle Focus only works on the models with the ability. No codex in front of me so i cant tell you whether or not everyone in the unit has to HAVER battle Focus but i dont think you do. So the Haemonculous could start in the front of the unit perhaps, so that when they Focus, he isn't left behind early.

Objective Secured is important so do everything you can in the list to keep things in a CAD, but if there is something you absolutely have to have because of the Realspace Formation then I guess you gotta'. Keep in mind that a reserving enemy can auto-win the Objective missions simply by having one Obsec guy alive where your 190,000 Warriors are standing. So its a powerful ability in that you can force enemies to auto-lose if they have chosen to own no Objective secured units.

One other thing: I dont know how others feel, but that VoidRaven Bomber is incredibly powerful against elite armies. There is a fair proliferation of elite armies right now. Just food for thought. it's disappointingly expensive but it does not actually disappoint in efficacy. Depends on who you face of course, like always but having AP 2+ weaponry never goes out of style and agressive armies like the Wulfen are a great target for its not so tender mercies. Its a points hog buuuuut...

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)   A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01 2016, 00:25

Yeah, they all have to have battle focus for any of them to use it.
Back to top Go down
Umbralz
Hellion
Umbralz

PostSubject: Re: A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)   A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01 2016, 05:05

Looks like a fair bit of Tau and Eldar in my area I suppose the idea of the last slot jetbikes is a no go. A fair bit of Imperial Knights too. Anyone play with a nightwing?

Will most likely be running this as a CAD after those thoughts.

Thoughts on the lists in general? Another thought was to swap out all the flyer spam with Talos, but I feel like they're too slow and leaving me with 0 dark lances would give me a definite sense of unease.
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)   A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01 2016, 08:59

They arent slow in a Corpsethief Claw. the yget Scout and can outflank or jut scout. Its a very good unit to have in competitive play.

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)   A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A competitive newbies thoughts/list for DE (1850, 750)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: