THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Razor Wing canopy

Go down 
+10
speedfreek
xzandrate
Gobsmakked
Local_Ork
Thor665
Cailos
abjectus
Evil Space Elves
Massaen
lowkeyy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 13:08

I am working with Les Bursley of “Awesome Paint Job”. He has started painting on my Razor wings (RW). He came up with this great airbrush pattern that he first revealed on my Talos/Cronous engine. We decided that would be a prominent theme on all of the vehicles. The model is still a WIP. The primary color scheme will be an icy blue. We are debating whether the full canopy should go onto this model or should the half canopy be used. Here are some pictures of his progress. Please give me your feedback. Thanks

Razor Wing canopy DSC00003Razor Wing canopy DSC00002Razor Wing canopy DSC00001Razor Wing canopy DSC00004

Talos pic for vehicle comparison.
Razor Wing canopy DSC00077copyRazor Wing canopy DSC00080copy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dakkadakka.com/core/gallery-search.jsp?u=39256
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 13:46

Full canopy - its a super sonic plane!!!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 13:54

From the fluff point of view that makes sense. I am more concerned about the overall look of the model itself. Thanks for the input. BTW love your podcast.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 14:17

Full. The open canopy would chop up and interrupt the flowing lines of the hull taking away from the "supersonic" look. IMHO I think that it would draw attention to the pilot and take it away from the cool airbrushed effect at tail section.
Back to top Go down
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 14:38

I am leaning towards the full canopy, but the idea of being able to see the details of cockpit and the pilot is something that I like to see in vehicles. Les was talking about using a wash that will allow the Pilot and other details to be seen.
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 14:55

Full canopy looks better. I put one each way on my 2 razorwings. First thing I heard when someone saw the 1/2 canopy, "how did you break the canopy?". I had to explain it's suppose to be that way.
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 15:28

Really I only see using the half canopy on the Venom. You can still see the detail of the cockpit and pilot with the full canopy you use have to keep it clear.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 16:04

Another vote for full canopy - the sleek jet lines are served better, also you can still see all the detail inside and usually people are excited when they peer through the canopy and see the detail.
Back to top Go down
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 16:18

Cailos wrote:
Really I only see using the half canopy on the Venom. You can still see the detail of the cockpit and pilot with the full canopy you use have to keep it clear.

Is that for the appearance of the model or due to one being a transport and the other a super sonic fighter?

Thanks for your input.

Back to top Go down
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 16:24

Thor665 wrote:
Another vote for full canopy - the sleek jet lines are served better, also you can still see all the detail inside and usually people are excited when they peer through the canopy and see the detail.

Good point. I do like peeking in to see if the modeler went the full distance with the details. I always love to see Rhinos that have full detail on the inside of the cargo bay area.
You guys got me swaying toward full canopy. Keep the comments coming.
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 16:26

lowkeyy wrote:
Cailos wrote:

Is that for the appearance of the model or due to one being a transport and the other a super sonic fighter?

Thanks for your input.

Its really just fluff reasons and I have looked at both on my Razorwing and the half canopy looks weird.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 16:32

+1 to everyone opinion Wink

And Gork forbid, don't do THAT, unless it's well executed or isn't "glass".
Back to top Go down
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 16:55

Local_Ork wrote:

Wow. That’s pretty sad.

If I do use a full canopy, I am going to have it done with a contrast color wash that keeps the full canopy’s transparency. Les believes that the pilot would be more visible is it was kept a gradient scheme so that the full canopy color would pick up the highlights. A fully painted pilot would lose it’s details under a full canopy. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 16:57

lowkeyy wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:

Wow. That’s pretty sad.

If I do use a full canopy, I am going to have it done with a contrast color wash that keeps the full canopy’s transparency. Les believes that the pilot would be more visible is it was kept a gradient scheme so that the full canopy color would pick up the highlights. A fully painted pilot would lose it’s details under a full canopy. What do you guys think?
Yes it would. But I paint every one of my canopies. But I don't put the pilots in it lol.
Back to top Go down
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 17:09

[quote="Cailos"]
lowkeyy wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:

Yes it would. But I paint every one of my canopies. But I don't put the pilots in it lol.

I did not know we could use the “Machine Spirit” Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 18:42

[quote="lowkeyy"]
Cailos wrote:
lowkeyy wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:

I did not know we could use the “Machine Spirit” Laughing
Well no reason to use the bitz for the guy if you are going to paint the canopy.
Back to top Go down
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 18:53

No, I understand what you are saying. We were thinking along the lines of putting a transparent tent on the full canopy for the Razor Wing.
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 18:59

lowkeyy wrote:
No, I understand what you are saying. We were thinking along the lines of putting a transparent tent on the full canopy for the Razor Wing.
I know. I was saying that is a good way to go and was just saying what I do with my canopies.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2011, 19:12

I have only put half-canopies so far on both my Venoms and my Razorwing, and I will do so on my Voidraven too. Perhaps they are supersonic, at least some of the time, but the idea of an open canopy with the wind howling through and the ability to stick your arm out and fire your pistol (if it doesn't get snapped by the windstream) just fits better with my view of the fluff about DE in general and their pilots in particular, that they are absolutely nuts!

Consider their descriptions:
Quote :
..... for each of their [Razorwing] pilots was once a member of the Reaver elite, ....
and
Quote :
... a Voidraven bomber's pilot is a veteran of the high-speed death races that girdle the spires
and
Quote :
... the Razorwing Jetfighter, whose pilots rejoice in the earsplitting crack-boom of its passage, ...

That all screams open canopy to me.

I always keep my canopies clear apart from the frames and gunsights so that you can see what's inside, which I always paint in detail. I have also considered lightig up the inside of the cockpits.

The only different approach I would ever consider is a very light gold tint as on modern day, real jetfighters. I have seen some models with this and it looks great, if done right.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 01:45

I'd base my decision off of what he is using for the wash, and if he has any examples to show you.

I know the Tamiya Clear works absolutely amazing for this. A local Eldar player uses it for his models, and it's my plan for my razorwing. I'd definitely go with the full canopy though, I dry fit the half canopy, it just looked too bi-plane instead of fighter jet.
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 05:44

The Razorwing isn't open topped, is it?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 06:39

Not as far as rules go.
Back to top Go down
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 11:44

Ok, so talked to Les. He agreed with the majority of you that posted. We tried the full canopy first. Originally we were thinking of a contrast color, but found the purple wash had a better feel to the model. Les used a gold accent line to get the contrast we had talked about earlier. Les added a nice weathering touch to the engines to show that it’s in use. Please let me know what you think.Razor Wing canopy DSC00007Razor Wing canopy DSC00006Razor Wing canopy DSC00008Razor Wing canopy DSC00005
Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 17:46

Full canopy vote here.

When I painted my Venom ones, what I found worked really well was giving the glass a coat of floor polish (I use Future Klear) with a drop of black paint in it. Gives it a lovely shine with a hint of tinting around the edges.
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
lowkeyy
Hellion
lowkeyy

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 18:24

SirTainly wrote:
Full canopy vote here.

When I painted my Venom ones, what I found worked really well was giving the glass a coat of floor polish (I use Future Klear) with a drop of black paint in it. Gives it a lovely shine with a hint of tinting around the edges.

That’s interesting. The floor polish was safe on the plastic? That sounds like a very economic way to create a clear coat wash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Razor Wing canopy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Razor Wing canopy   Razor Wing canopy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Razor Wing canopy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next