THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Parched

Go down 
+2
BetrayTheWorld
Cavash
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2016, 19:57

We know that Dark Eldar feed off of the pain and suffering of other living beings to sustain themselves. When they have not fed for too long and go deep into spiritual starvation to a point where they cannot recover they become known as 'parched'. They are cadaverous mirror images of their former glory who will fight tooth and claw for a scrap of soul.

I have my own idea of how they would appear to other Dark Eldar, but there isn't too much written on them and so I think it's good ground for speculation. What do you think the parched look like?

Do you think any of their features would become more pronounced? Would they be stark raving mad? Would they be physically altered in a supernatural grotesque way, or be more like a normal starving Dark Eldar roaming the streets with a horrible sheen to their eyes wearing tattered rags?

The Parched YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2016, 20:29

A starving Lestat comes to mind.

The Parched 308f15f32298cf2572eecb7520daa078
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2016, 20:56

I always envisioned them as insane, emaciated, ghoulesque creatures.
Back to top Go down
Nyx_Necrodragon
Kabalite Warrior
Nyx_Necrodragon

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2016, 23:25

The parched is a subject I love because they feature heavily in my fluff, the twins gather them up and have them work in their factories while slowly rehabilitating them. I've always depicted them as gaunt, gollum-like, ghouls that teeter on the edges of insanity (and the ones that are insane the twins kill and harvest their souls). I imagine them constantly trying to work out what is reality and what is the machinations of She Who Thirsts. I also imagine them constantly attacking each other for soul scraps perhaps even eating each other. So while not physically largely different they are very different in their behaviour.

The Parched Untitl10
The Parched Ghoul10

Trueborn

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07 2016, 23:31

Yeah, maybe like a really gaunt, emaciated dark eldar version of necron flayed ones?

The Parched Img4c96dca86be16
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08 2016, 00:38

I imagine them to look like Bando Gora slaves from SW Bounty Hunter, (or Hoody Salesmen, as we called them Smile) sadly i can't find pictures of them.
They are rather featureless, grey-black, small and skinny and wear a hoody.
Rather weak and easy to kill, but dangerous in masses.

Nyx_Necrodragon
Kabalite Warrior
Nyx_Necrodragon

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12 2016, 23:51

I think the Bando Gora slaves would probably be like the recovering parched, not feral enough to be true parched

Wych
Marrath

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13 2016, 02:18

Or maybe like the Pack Necromorphs from dead space 2?
Just a bit bigger?

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19 2016, 12:49

That forst picture by Nyx is very similar to how I imagine them. It reminds me of the sketch of a DE holding a heart in the 3rd ed codex. These are all good siggestions though, and it has goven me a lot to think about.

So, what do you think of using the Parched in terror tactics? Say a Kabal is in all out war with another Kabal they could round up the parched and herd/airdrop them into an enemy's position. They would provide a distraction and it would also help with thinning out the number of undesirable Parched in a Kabal's territory?
I am trying to think of practical uses for them. Afterall, everything can be a resource. I just dont want to have them in giant hamster wheels to power a Kabal's fortress Razz

Edit: Lestat from Anne Rice's vampire trilogy had also come to mind. Sociopathic immortal fallen from grace

The Parched YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19 2016, 18:51

Cavash wrote:
...I am trying to think of practical uses for them. Afterall, everything can be a resource. I just dont want to have them in giant hamster wheels to power a Kabal's fortress Razz

Edit: Lestat from Anne Rice's vampire trilogy had also come to mind. Sociopathic immortal fallen from grace

I find it hard to think that a Kabal would use the Parched if things like Beasts or Ur-Ghuls perform a better job in the same area.

But if you try to look for some usage outside of combat, I could imagine them being part of a Dark Eldar circus. No, seriously.

Or imagine a hundred Parched running through a labyrinth. The scent of suffering guides them and at the end of the labrynth is some kind of poor soul that is being tortured meanwhile. Naturally, there are countless lethal traps in the maze or the tortured souls are just barely out of reach for the Parched ones.

Sounds deliciously bittersweet to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Parched Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Parched   The Parched I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Parched
Page 1 of 1