THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Expanding the base collection box

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tactical Salad
Hellion
Tactical Salad

Expanding the base collection box Empty
PostSubject: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2016, 13:53

Hey guys, so I bought the Start Collecting box 2 months ago and added a Venom to the mix to start expanding my force.

At this point I'm thinking of adding perhaps another Venom, one or two Ravagers, and in the future a Talos Pain Engine.

So, recently I saw an offer on eBay that I couldn't resist (mainly because since I'm new to 40k, I'm still trying to figure out what color scheme I'd like for my army, and a big, cheap bundle of infantry is perfect for trying different things out):
2 old Haemonculi
11 Wracks
30 Kabalite Warriors
5 Incubi + 1 old Archon
2 Wyches and 2 Hellions
7 Reaver Jetbikes

Now my DE forces consist of the Start Collecting box, a Venom, and what I got off eBay. What I'm wondering is: what's a good way of integrating my new bundle into my existing army? I wouldn't add all of it, because spamming infantry will just increase the point cost of my army, allowing my opponent to field more expensive vehicles, against which my infantry won't be particularly useful, right?

Thanks for any ideas!
Back to top Go down
StreetsAhead
Hellion
StreetsAhead

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2016, 14:04

Just for reference, you currently have two transports: A venom and a raider, correct?
Back to top Go down
Tactical Salad
Hellion
Tactical Salad

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2016, 22:12

Yeah, that's all I have at the moment
Back to top Go down
StreetsAhead
Hellion
StreetsAhead

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25 2016, 14:08

Gotcha. So I was in the same boat as you back in April, probably in worse shape because I had 0 transports just lots of infantry units. I played a few games with everyone on foot and they didn't turn out that well. It wasn't very fun for either me or my opponent, as I was pretty much tabled by turn 4ish on numerous accounts. I've added transports (mostly Venoms) and the games I've played since then have been much more fun (for me at least).

I will preface this by saying, I am not an expert by any means, but here is an idea of what I would play:

- Archon w/ a blaster and WWP.

- Use 5 of your Warriors to mock up Trueborn (may take a bit of conversion work to differentiate them, really depends on your opponent to what extent they'll need to be converted) - 4 w/ blasters, Archon joins this unit. If you want to give this unit a little more staying power (they will likely come in, shoot the hell out of something, then die being that they are not in a transport) you could throw a shadow field on the Archon and allocate all wounds to him and keep your fingers crossed you don't roll a 1.

- 10 Warriors in a Raider

- 5 Warriors in a Venom, dual cannons

- Some combination of Jet Bike units with Cluster Caltrops.
If you have 10 total, probably 2 units of 3, 1 unit of 4, each with a Caltrop.
If you have 7 total, 1 unit of 4, 1 unit of 3, each with a Caltrop.

From there, I would focus on getting more transports, again, mainly Venoms (personal preference, they are my favorite model). 3 more would give you some cool options:

- Break the 10 man warrior unit into 2 5 man units in Venoms w/ dual cannons, use on of the wyches as a Succubus and throw the Incubi in a raider with her, and add in another unit of warriors.

- 2 units of wracks in venoms and another warrior squad.

- 2 units of warriors, wych as a Succubus in a venom with 4 Incubi.

Just some thoughts.

Back to top Go down
Tactical Salad
Hellion
Tactical Salad

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28 2016, 23:48

Cool, thanks for all the information!

Just got a few new questions: What's the best way to utilize a WWP? As I'm still quite new to 40k in general and just have been on holidays for a month, I haven't gotten into the rules enough or played enough to get some decent experience.

In the games I did play, I really was never quite sure how to play with jetbikes. Then again, my friend and I played with barely any special rules, and I get the feeling DE really need their special rules to survive Razz If it helps, I play mainly against my Tau friend and occasionally against Orks, Space Wolves or Skitarii, for now at least.

Regarding the venoms with warrior units in them: If I'm up against an emeny with, say, 24'' range, should I move into a range from which they can fire at me to get the warrior shots off as well, or stay well away from the enemy and just shoot with the dual cannons? Up until now I always tried to keep my venom at the edge of the 36'' range of the dual cannons because it provided quite a lot of firepower that I didn't want blown up. But I've read often that DE should be pushing and dictating the pace of the game, so I wonder whether it would be better to put the kabalites on and just get up close to the enemy.

Wracks: you wouldn't use them without venoms?
Back to top Go down
StreetsAhead
Hellion
StreetsAhead

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29 2016, 14:27

Best way to utilize WWPs - It depends on what the unit is using the WWP. In this case, the Trueborn are outside of a transport, so your goal would be to pick a unit that the rest of your army really can't handle (a lot of our weapons are strength 1, so armor is really hard to crack for us), blast the heck out of it and hopefully kill it. Best case, your Trueborn would be out of LoS the next turn and they don't die. The WWP is basically deep strike without scatter, which is really nice as it lets you plan a little bit better.

Jetbikes - they are pretty good, one of the better units in our book IMO. Caltrops make them even more fun. They have a lot of special rules, so it would be worth finding them out and utilizing them. (hit & run, jink, Hammer of Wrath attacks, ect.).

Vemons w/ warriors - Again, it really depends. sometimes the best move is to drop of the warriors so they can hold down objectives, while the venom zips around and shoots stuff just out of range of return fire. That being said, our transports are blown up pretty easily, so you can expect to lose a few, but rushing them up will probably end badly most of the time.

Wracks outside of venoms - most of our troops on foot I wouldn't take outside of a transport. Venoms rule and provide a bit more protection than just running across the field.
Back to top Go down
Tactical Salad
Hellion
Tactical Salad

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2016, 00:53

Awesome, thanks for the tips dude! Very Happy I'll keep them in mind in the future
Back to top Go down
StreetsAhead
Hellion
StreetsAhead

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2016, 14:03

Hey, my pleasure. Let us know how your games go when you get a few in.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30 2016, 21:54

The best thing for a Webway portal?
If you aren't facing fearless or Space Marine armies: the archangel bomb.
An Haemonculus with the Armour of Misery and the Archon with the archangel deep striking. Before the faq I used this in a Raider too but that doesn't work anymore. That's -4 leadership test and one dead model for every point the leadership test is failed. For every enemy unit around the archangel bearer (9 inches?).
Other than that I'd use it to deliver Blaster born in a Raider or Venom.

PostSubject: Re: Expanding the base collection box   Expanding the base collection box I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Expanding the base collection box
Page 1 of 1