THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Veiled Path

Go down 
+4
Cherrycoke
Causalis
Massaen
Korona
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Korona
Kabalite Warrior
Korona

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24 2016, 04:00

Holiday time means lots of hobby time and lots of progress.  I got all those 15 players pretty much finished.  Unfortunately my superglue ran out so I need to wait for the replacement tube to arrive before I can put the pieces together and take some finished pictures.

In the mean time here's an interlude.  I scrambled to think of gifts for my D&D group and figured it would be neat to make up some custom minis of our characters.  Sadly the DM missed out but I'll do him one of the arch-villain once he makes his grand entrance!

Here we have:
Elizabeth the human bard,
Lucius the half-elf paladin and
Grit the genasi druid - anyone for goodberries?

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2082

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2083

Lots of kitbashing and custom sculpting:

Grit is based on a beastman standard bearer.  The bag of goodberries and hair are greenstuff but he was quite a simple build.  I did some work on the face to make him a bit less mean and removed/repaired the chaos symbols.   I imagine an earth elemental would have kind of dusty skin so I used a lot of pigments to give his skin a dry/dusty look, which unfortunatly the camera didn't pick up at all.

Lucius is a half elf so I used a whole mix of parts.  The legs are beefed up DE warrior legs with some extra greenstuff to bulk up and de-pointy the plates.  The arms are from an Empire knight and the torso and cape are from some High Elf model.  I like the mix of human and elf parts, it makes him look quite slender even in bulky armour.  You'll probably recognise the stock DE head.  The character hates his elf heritage so I gave him a hood and floppy hair style to cover up his pointy ears.

I didn't really have a good basis for Elizabeth so in the end I bit the bullet and went for a near total custom sculpt.  This is her character art so I tried to replicate that in the mini:
http://www.punkrave.ch/7654-thickbox_default/velvet-gothic-coat.jpg
The lute started out as a wood elf bow which I straighted and bulked out.  The base mini is actually a heavily cut down daemonette.  The coat and boots are custom greenstuff sculpts built over that core frame.  The face needed some work to make it a bit more human and I added the hair.  I didn't have enough time to finish the coat.  It should have a slit back and belt strap but oh well.

It was all a bit of a rush at the end.  Our games night was this evening.  I had run out of glue and even ended up having to work on models where the greenstuff wasn't totally dry just to get it all done in time.  The pictures also turned out a bit rushed - they were taken in the living room as I was cramming feet into boots so apologies for the dodgy lighting and focus!

If the superglue turns up tomorrow I'll post pics of the main event - else they'll go up soon after Christmas. Thanks for checking out the plog, hope you enjoyed!

Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24 2016, 10:49

Stunning work Smile I'm always in awe of people who can do great things with Greenstuff. Never got the stuff to agree with me personally...

Loads of thought put into them as well. Love the hood and floppy hair to hide the half-elf's elven features Smile

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
Rhivan
Sybarite
Rhivan

PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24 2016, 15:53

Awesome conversions! I love the idea of making custom minis with Warhammer models I really do love Lucius's model (He's my favorite Razz). Fantastic greenstuff work as well. I wish I could do it that well but I'm a bit scared to xD

Korona
Kabalite Warrior
Korona

PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25 2016, 02:34

Thanks guys Very Happy

The glue arrived today, and I'll just quickly say - it's amazing!  Far and away the best superglue I've used.  It sets really fast and it's really strong.  I moved over to construction adhesives a few years ago with "mitre fast" but this is much better!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bond-Medium-Viscosity-Super-Glue/dp/B00BDUWECI

Anyway you don't want to hear me rave about glue, here's the main event.  So, in full focus and decent lighting I present:

Some players
The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2084

Some more players
The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2087

Troupe Master #1
The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2085

Troupe Master #2
The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2086

And the Big Group Shot!
The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2088

I'm really pleased with the end result. The coats were originally quite a bit darker. This final colour scheme was a happy accident and I think it contrasts nicely with the yellow shoulder pads. As ever there's always a few more touches to add - I ended up skipping the highlights on the motley because, frankly, I was bored.  I'll probably go back to it some day but this all took quite long enough! I also need to add squad markings but I've not really decided who will go with which squad yet. Eventually I'll have 3x troupes so I think one each of light/twilight/dark would be cool (and probably what the designers intended/hoped people would do).

Merry Christmas everyone.  (May the laughing god smile on us all!)

Kabalite Warrior
Korona

PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2017, 16:34

The Big Push

Hey guys, I put off making this post because I got a lot done over Christmas but nothing was really complete and you've seen plenty of WIP shots.  Last weekend I realised that I getting close to the finish line so I spent almost the entire weekend painting.

I'm pleased to report that the Veiled Path project is now complete - image dump inbound!

So here's the voidweaver for starters:

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2089

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2090

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2091

And the skyweavers

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2092

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2093

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2094

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2095

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2096

Here are the troupes.  I went the extra mile and added the shoulder pads for the light, twilight and dark squads markings.  I also coloured the edge of their bases to help avoid the general mess that happens in close combats.

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2098

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2099

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2100

Now for some models you've not seen with paint on:

First off the death jesters, note I'm still using a Studio McVey model for the spectre because I don't have a good death jester option atm.  I'm aiming to pick up the old sculpt from fleabay at some point but prices are a bit steep right now.

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2104

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2103

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2102

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2101

Here's the Solitaire.   I don't think I've posted any pictures of him.  It was one of the first harlequin models I painted and I never really liked how he turned out.  Originally he just had a motley coat and brown legs.  I switched it up to give him a fade effect on his coat which I like a lot more, it's now a dark black/brown leather fading out to the green motley/shadowfield effect (enhanced with extra greenstuff diamonds!).  I shifted the motley to his leg and collar.  I remember really struggling to do the coat but breezed these simple sections.  I guess I'm proficient at tiny diamonds now - 'yay'?!

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2105

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2106

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2107

These are my solitaire conversions.  I see very little point plumping for the GW sculpts because these are such an easy conversion - especially for us DE players with plenty of the masked helms spare.

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2108

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2109

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2110

And finally the big guy - Eldrad himself (*heroic pose time*)!

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2111

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2112

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2113

The Veiled Path - Page 2 Img_2114

Some of the shots didn't quite come out right with slightly off lighting and focus.  I might reshoot a few when it's bright outside, but this will probably be the semi-final post for this plog.  If you'd like to see a different angle on any model just drop a message, I'm happy to take extras.  I'll probably put my favourite pics from the project up on the first post since the shots on that post are really ropey and it would be nice to turn it into a plog summary.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback it's been great motivation.  Painting tiny diamonds on space elves didn't always seem like the best way to spend an evening and having progress be public helped keep things on track.

So what's next? My next project is to make some scenery to go with this army. I've found LoS blocking terrain has been a bit sparse in a few recent games with DE as well as with these guys. Of course buildings are the best for this but storing lots of 28mm scale buildings is a pain and fighting in a city all the time doesn't feel so great. I have a plan on how to make some really cool scenery that'll fit in with the look of this force and also be really easy to store. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing it but watch this space...

Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2017, 16:47

They all look stunning Smile you should be rightly proud Wink

Really really nice models Smile

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
Korona
Kabalite Warrior
Korona

PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2017, 23:44

Thanks dude, I've wanted a harlequin army for ages, that boxed set was awesome. I'm sure it's one of the cheapest ways to build a 1500 army! Having quite a low model count lets you get a bit obsessive and the new GW plastics really reward OCD.

PostSubject: Re: The Veiled Path   The Veiled Path - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Veiled Path
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2