THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New Dark Eldar Codex/models?

Go down 
+7
BetrayTheWorld
Seshiru
Squidmaster
Count Adhemar
aurynn
BizarreShowbiz
alexthearchon
11 posters
AuthorMessage
alexthearchon
Slave
alexthearchon

New Dark Eldar Codex/models? Empty
PostSubject: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2017, 07:59

I know this may be wishful thinking, rumours, all been said before - but it would seem new Dark Eldar bits may be on the way. There was a recent post on The Bell of Lost Souls of a teaser from GW. The article goes on to claim Eldar are getting a name change to 'Aeldari' and Dark Eldar would also get a name change.

Could this mean that we will finally be getting a new codex? I've also noticed some Models have been out of stock on GWs website for some time now - just speculation but maybe new models?
Who knows?!?
Back to top Go down
BizarreShowbiz
Sybarite
BizarreShowbiz

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2017, 08:32

I dont think its a new codex, but a (I hope heavy) reedit in the new gathering storm book a la Tau in the Montka and Kauyon campaigns.
Back to top Go down
http://engalie40k.blogspot.com.es/
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2017, 08:50

I do not think we will get a new codex now. Campaign overhaul yes. New codex - after 8th hits. Just my opinion. I do not want to get yet another codex right before edition change.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2017, 09:17

I agree with Bizarre Showbiz. I very much doubt it's a new codex but fingers crossed we get some new models and, more importantly, some formations. A decurion-style meta formation is pretty much required these days.

In the slightly longer term, I suspect codexes may well be going away. I think 8e will have free downloadable pdf's of the datasheets for all units and some formations and detachments. You will then have campaign books with new formations etc (which will not be free).
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2017, 12:21

I think we'll have a new "special edition" Codex, similar to the Dameonic Incursion version, which will rerelease the existing book with Campaign updates.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
alexthearchon
Slave
alexthearchon

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2017, 17:39

Hopefully any kind of update will be a positive one! What with the new Gangs of Commorragh on the way, The Dark Eldar might get a little more love.
Does anyone know why models might have been out of stock for quite a while? (razorwing/grotesques)
Back to top Go down
Seshiru
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19 2017, 17:04

Maybe we will see replacements on some of the finecast, I would really like to see new grotesques and incubi even though I like the current ones I just don't like finecast.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19 2017, 18:10

Squidmaster wrote:
I think we'll have a new "special edition" Codex, similar to the Dameonic Incursion version, which will rerelease the existing book with Campaign updates.

Oh I seriously hope not. That would be tragic. If they release a "special edition" codex, we'll know we're not getting a "real" codex any time soon.

Our codex was pissed on in the last release. We were the first major victim of a kneejerk overreaction to a lost lawsuit. Our codex was rushed out in response to a lawsuit who's results essentially protected the rights of GW's competitors to make models for characters that GW chose not to release a model for. So GW's main goal was to nix all characters without official models. Playtesting or discussing changes to rules weren't even a concern, obviously.

I don't know how many people here were playing during our last codex, but we weren't considered a top tier army even then. When allies were first introduced, we saw some competitive play in allied armies, and were capable of doing well with some creative list-building, but we still weren't top tier. And yet, our current codex delivered over 30 direct nerfs. It's going to take more than some formations added to a "special edition" codex to fix that.
Back to top Go down
Tounguekutter
Sybarite
Tounguekutter

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20 2017, 04:16

I'm sorry I just can't control my wishlisting urges, but I think a better question might be "If Dark Eldar were ever to become a top-tier army in their own right, would the codex that got them there be mostly direct buffs, or a complete overhaul in terms of how the army is intended to perform?"  What I mean by overhaul is a significant change to the playstyle of the army.  How that might manifest I have a few vague ideas like making them more maneuverable through redeployment shenanigans, leadership games that can affect space marines (there are ways to manipulate fearless people, wouldn't we know them all?  Especially since many Archons are exceedingly arrogant while other Archons are the paranoid type and maybe you could have different tactics reflect these differences?), larger use of Night Fighting rules, play up the magicky-side of Dark Eldar (I once had an idea for a kind of PFP-based psychic discipline for Dark Eldar slave psykers) and buff PFP to the point where it gives squads almost psychic-phase tier abilities, etc. etc.   I just feel like our most recent codex was a poor rehash of 5th, whereas 5th radically changed the character or the army on the tabletop, adding armywide poison and PFP.  End rant.

Needless to say, I'm in favor of the latter, as it would be far more interesting to everyone.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20 2017, 05:19

I'd like to see at least as much positive change as we had negative change in the last codex transition. I suppose that would probably equate to a fairly large overhaul.
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20 2017, 09:29

Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't played for bloody ages, but I'd like to see a moderate change to how the army's played.

Keep the same level of resilience, but ramp up the speed. People say that Corsairs are the army that Dark Eldar should be and to an extent I agree with them.

Dark Eldar's primary defence should be not being shot at in the first place.

That way they'd still keep the 'playing the game on hard mode' reputation, but actually be thoroughly effective when you get it right.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20 2017, 10:49

A complete overhaul would be thoroughly welockmw. Even as a complete fluff bunny/non competitive player I can't stand our current codex. They strippers all character from it, by removing the fluffy special characters, to making most of the units worse on the tabletop (or basically unplayable like wyches). I find the army just gets ruined when facing the vast majority of armies, such as tau and ravenwing.
I want our army to play like the fluff, Cunning, fast and brutal, with a different mechanism for PFP (like the idea but not how it plays )
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior
HokutoAndy

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22 2017, 18:30

AoS gave Lizardmen a new name, I don't think they got any new models though. AoS High and Dark 'Aelfs' didn't get new models but Wood aelfs did.

As for Dark Eldar in 40k, they have really solid plastics already so I wouldn't want to see any replacements. A new codex with updated rules would be good.

Overhaul rules-wise? Make PfP something that encourages aggression instead of hiding for the first turn to get your bonuses up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar Codex/models?   New Dark Eldar Codex/models? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dark Eldar Codex/models?
Page 1 of 1