THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Gangs of Commorragh game discussion

Go down 
+16
Anarchistscourge
Reldn
Jimsolo
Ripper.McGuirl
Seshiru
DEfan
Logan Frost
LemonStar
Archon Vitcus
TeenageAngst
Silverglade
Devilogical
Azdrubael
hekatrixxy
Hastyr
BizarreShowbiz
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BizarreShowbiz
Sybarite
BizarreShowbiz

Gangs of Commorragh game discussion Empty
PostSubject: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28 2017, 09:20

Hey guys, I got my Gangs of Commorragh box yesterday and I can wholeheartedly say that it surpassed every expectation I had.

The game itself is fast, easy to learn and play and really cinematic and fun. Both Hellions and Reavers are very well represented and feel unique but balanced. I am very happy with my purchase. Its worth every penny.

Some shots of yesterdays game. My friend never played anything WH40k related and still had a blast (even though he lost horribly to my reavers) Twisted Evil

Gangs of Commorragh game discussion Img_2011
Gangs of Commorragh game discussion Img_2012
Gangs of Commorragh game discussion Img_2014
Gangs of Commorragh game discussion Img_2010

What are your thoughts on the game?

Hastyr
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28 2017, 11:05

Agreed, I've got my set and aside from being a great deal it also looks very well put together as a product. The rulebook is super nice and likewise it has all vastly exceeded my expectations for a throwaway game from a fringe faction. Wink

Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior
hekatrixxy

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28 2017, 13:05

Good to hear that you enjoyed the game play. I'm still waiting for my two boxes to be delivered.

Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28 2017, 14:20

Cool stuff, wonder if there is a clouds battlematt selling somewhere, for aero modelling games..

Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28 2017, 14:39

No one is ever going to play it with me, so I'll never know. Wink
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28 2017, 14:42

Think you can bring onboard some non-40k interested friend ))

Devilogical
Sybarite
Devilogical

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28 2017, 18:57

So, what is the basics of the game?
It looks kinda lame to me (but reavers...) but how it`s played in general

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
BizarreShowbiz
Sybarite
BizarreShowbiz

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 00:14

The basics are pretty simple. You have limitations to movement similar to flyers and have to kill enemy models. You receive benefits if you shoot a model from the rear and penalizers if you do so from the side. In each phase a player activates one model, then its the opponent turn to do so and so on, what makes the game very dynamic.

Also theres this prey-hunter mechanic that activates if you are chasing an enemy unit that gives huge benefits to hunters. There are special manouvres, some are common to both Hellions and Reavers, others are exclusive (like doing bladevane flythroughs, or grabbing other models or scenery with the hellion glaive), what gives each band its own personality.

TL;DR: Gangs of Commorragh is a fun, dynamic and fast paced game that you guys should give a try.

Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 00:28

It looks similar to the Star Wars tactical game to me. Is that the case?
Back to top Go down
Ripper.McGuirl
Hellion
Ripper.McGuirl

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 04:05

I haven't played any Star Wars, but I picked up my pre-order today, and I'm super pleased. I bought it for the game, not the models. I already had the exact amount of reavers and hellions that come in the box, so now I've got quite a bit to play with. More importantly, I've got plenty to let other people use, so I can get some games in.

The game plays really fast. It took us no time at all to get the basics, and then the tactical depth becomes apparent very quickly. There are enough differences between the reavers and hellions that it feels like a genuine choice between two different play styles.

Coming at this from an old-timer (20+ years in the hobby) raised on Necromunda, I will say it tickles all of my nostalgia zones, while having the benefit of exceedingly badass models.

I wish that there were a bit more armament and skill variation to make your dudes feel a little more like individuals, but it would be no trouble at all to write your own charts and tables to add things to the game. I can also imagine they'll add some things to WD here and there, as they've done with all their other boxed games at some point or another.

You could easily sub out hellion models for scourges, as the sky board maneuvers could easily be visualized as winged maneuvers. The scourges even make an appearance as more-or-less a dangerous terrain result. (they hang out on one of the spires and shoot at you if you get too close).

Overall, it's not the kind of thing that would ever (or even intend to) replace your 40k games, but on those days when you and your friend just want to hang out at the house and eat leftover calzones and roll some dice, it's perfect.

*also, oh hey, hi. Been loosely following this board for years now, but only really ever bopped in to look at models. I've got a bunch of 3rd edition models, as well as some new stuff...been primarily a 30K player the last several years, but Fall of Cadia and this game have started breaking my will.*
Back to top Go down
http://destroydestroydestroy.org
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 05:33

Welcome to the Dark City, suitably named "Ripper."

Gangs of Commorragh is on my February Hobby budget!

Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 07:10

Caved and bought the box because my friend said he is willing to give it a try. The pieces are nice, and of course it coming with 4 full units of models helps justify the price. I'll review it after I get a chance to play it with him in coming weeks. One thing I will say though is I liked the little short stories they tucked in there, so much so I wish there were more of them. It's cool seeing things from the perspective of an undercity dweller instead of the high ranking Archons and Haemonculi of Commorragh.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Archon Vitcus
Kabalite Warrior
Archon Vitcus

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 09:20

Close up shots for the cardboard terrian please?

I'm picking mine up tomorrow or Tuesday
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 14:25

It's X-Wing combat with Necromunda list building.
Back to top Go down
LemonStar
Slave
LemonStar

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29 2017, 22:06

Looking forward to receiving it (package on the way), and hoping for it to get expanded in WD in future. Neomunda Wink
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 04:41

As sort of an aside, I didn't realize how many extra bits Hellions came with or how cool the models actually are. I'm actually considering picking up a second box just for the conversion options.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 05:44

I think that's a big draw for a lot of people.

I've wondered how many people are buying this for the game and how many are buying it for the models. (Although I'm up for it, I highly doubt I'll ever end up playing the boxed game.)
Back to top Go down
Logan Frost
Sybarite
Logan Frost

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 14:36

@Jimsolo, everyone is buying it for the models, the game is a nice bonus.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 16:40

I've seen a few here and on Dakka claiming interest in the game first and models second, but I think they're the minority.
Back to top Go down
Logan Frost
Sybarite
Logan Frost

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 16:54

Don't get me wrong, I like boardgames and from the videos on the web it looks fun to play and I will play it with my friends, but I'm not taking two boxes to play twice at the same time.
All those models for that price is a steal.
Back to top Go down
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 17:21

Imagine if the prey/attacker mechanism existed as a bonus for DE in regular 40K. +1 BS everywhere!

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 20:15

I wonder if my 8 year old daughter can handle this game? 40K is kinda steep for her even though she primarily wants to play knights.

Hellion
Ripper.McGuirl

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 20:17

It's been a long time since I was 8, but I imagine it might be a bit steep as well? Maybe once she gets the basic idea of how things move around, it won't be so bad. It certainly doesn't have as much going on as 40k does, and the fact that you can break it down into moving one model at a time may help isolate some of the decision making. I say give it a shot and report back!
Back to top Go down
http://destroydestroydestroy.org
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31 2017, 00:22

I think an 8 year old could handle it.
Back to top Go down
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01 2017, 06:15

Yeah, totally buy it for her for you Razz ! That's how I sold 40K to the wife!

When my eldest was 10, he could handle 40K and it did great things for his reading.

Get kids into it young! They are primed to learn. Just praise more than you criticise, like a ratio of 4:1, and your kid will love the experience.

PostSubject: Re: Gangs of Commorragh game discussion   Gangs of Commorragh game discussion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gangs of Commorragh game discussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: