THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Drukhari - What do we think?

Go down 
+28
Calyptra
Kallidus
Calindor
John M
Khaleth Blackheart
TeenageAngst
Scrz
smith1186
Tounguekutter
Creeping Darkness
Jimsolo
The Red King
BetrayTheWorld
Barking Agatha
CptMetal
Rhivan
Ynneadwraith
BizarreShowbiz
hekatrixxy
Von Snabel
aurynn
Cherrycoke
Jehoel
The Strange Dark One
Painjunky
Dubh
Squidmaster
Count Adhemar
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Drukhari - What do we think? Empty
PostSubject: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 10:01

It seems we will henceforth be known as the Drukhari. Whilst most, if not all, people will still refer to us as Dark Eldar, what do we think about the official name? Personally I'm okay with it. Could have been much worse!

BizarreShowbiz
Sybarite
BizarreShowbiz

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 10:13

I don't like it. It's an n away from Drunkhari, the webway alcoholics.

I would have prefered Eladrith Ynneas, longer but cooler. Im ok if Drukhari stays in the fluff, but I really hope I dont see it written on a codex cover.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 10:15

Eeeeeehhh.

I think I'm too hung up on the fact thats its an unnecessary name change. Ok, maybe GW thought it was necessary, but where I'm sitting its not.
The name is ok I guess, but I'm almost certain that I will never actually call them that.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Dubh
Slave
Dubh

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 10:20

Where's this been posted?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 10:41

It's in the Feb White Dwarf.

Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 11:07

The name change overwhelms me with feelings of deep, undeniable apathy. Sleep

We still say imperial guard round my camp... name changes are stupid lame. geek
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 11:39

I am sorry, I couldn't resist.

GW empoyee A: "So, we vastly improved the name of Eldar by naming them Aeldari, let's skip to the next topic."
GW empoyee B: "No wait, wasn't there another eldar-thingy?"
GW empoyee A: "Oh, right we forgot the Harlequinns."
GW empoyee B: "No, I mean the edgier Eldar. You know, the glasscannon Eldar with speed, firepower and arrogance... I forgot their name."
GW empoyee A: "We don't officially support Corsairs. Let FW figure that out. Owait, maybe you mean our space Dark Aelves?"
GW empoyee B: "Yeeah, right. The Dark Aelves. Of course, we need a better name for them too."
GW empoyee A: "Man, look. I'm about to go to lunch so... idk something like Druchii, but edgier?"
GW empoyee B: "Drukhii?"
GW empoyee A: "Too similar."
GW empoyee B: "Drukhari?"
GW empoyee A: "Perfect!"
GW empoyee B: "Very good. Let's make lunch and finally move back to Spess Mahreens when we are done."
GW empoyee A: "Amen to that."
Back to top Go down
Dubh
Slave
Dubh

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 12:12

Surely this is pointing to an amalgamated faction in next edition?
Back to top Go down
Jehoel
Kabalite Warrior
Jehoel

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 12:41

At first it sounded like something from GoT. The valyrian word for fire, dracharis.

Didn't like it much at first, but It's growing on me. It was always a bit tame that we just got a "dark" in the title and that was it. Drukhari makes us sound more like a seperate race and not just "the evil twin" or the black sheep of the family.

It adds more identity. I approve it.

The readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is't to leave betimes?

- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

Kabal of Eternal Torment/Cult of Last Caress/Coven of Wasted Tears
Back to top Go down
Cherrycoke
Kabalite Warrior
Cherrycoke

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 13:28

Well Dark Elves in fantasy were called Druchii so I guess its not too far removed.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 13:35

I hate it. But then I remember tha Dark Eldar is not particularly good either. Will get used to it.
Back to top Go down
Von Snabel
Kabalite Warrior
Von Snabel

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 13:48

im ok with it. Does anyone know what it means ? Like, what is the fluff reason to it ? Does it mean something like "The True kin" in eldar or something ? If it's just a crude name change I'd be a little bummed.

@BizarreShowbiz It probably will. I have no refrences to Fantasy but Imperial Guards codex is names Astra Militarum and Spoze Marines have Adeptus Astartes written on the codex.(probably still says Space Marines because it's such a known name) But who cares, True Kin all the way anyhow.

Kabalite Warrior
hekatrixxy

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 13:59

I actually prefer it to Dark Eldar. "Dark Eldar" seems just a crude term that humans would use to describe the race but doesn't really capture any of the subtlety of what they actually are.

Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 14:29

hekatrixxy wrote:
I actually prefer it to Dark Eldar. "Dark Eldar" seems just a crude term that humans would use to describe the race but doesn't really capture any of the subtlety of what they actually are.

This. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 15:29

hekatrixxy wrote:

Yep. Summed up what I was thinking Smile

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 15:44

Same. I like the new name just fine.
Back to top Go down
BizarreShowbiz
Sybarite
BizarreShowbiz

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 15:55

But... but muh Eladith Ynneas Sad

Ok, Ill concede Drukarii isnt that bad. Ill still call them Dark Eldar though.

Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 16:09

To be fair, 'Eladrith Ynneas' is a damn cool name. I can see why they didn't go for it though. Not quite as catchy, and 'Ynneas' is a little close to 'Ynnari'...

Yeah I'll still call them Dark Eldar...or DEldar...or True Kin...or Commorrites...or Kabalites...or Eladrith Ynneas...

Actually, I love having tons of different names for them Smile appeals to the inner linguaphile in me. Personally, I love the mon'keigh name for us: *incoherant screams followed by a short choking burbling noise*

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 16:16

I think I would like it much better if the the "i" was silent. Thus I will call them Drew-car because I can't unhear drew Carey.

Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 16:54

They can call us whatever they want, it's not like people are going to learn to pronounce it anyway.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Rhivan
Sybarite
Rhivan

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 17:25

hekatrixxy wrote:
+1 although I'm reminded of the Drakari Troll Tribe from wow but it's better then putting Dark in front of a name. Imagine if we had a faction called Dark Humans... Yeah I'm glad they're called Chaos too.

CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 18:15

I get the feeling that my German pronunciation is very good for that name Wink

Wych
Barking Agatha

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 21:16

The real question (which I doubt GW will answer), is who calls them that? I've always thought that 'Dark Eldar' or 'Eldarith Ynneas' would be the Craftworlders' name for the Commorites, because from their point of view they are the 'true' eldar (eldarith) and the Commorites are a corrupted sub-culture, qualified as 'ynneas'. From the point of view of the Commorites it would be the other way around: they are the eldarith and the Craftworlders are a lame offshoot, so their name for themselves would just be 'eldarith' (same as the craftworlders' name for themselves), and they would have a different name for the craftworlders (maybe 'eldarith sillyeas', for example).

So others might call you a 'dark' eldar, but you wouldn't call yourself that, you would just call yourself 'eldar' and refer to the others as a cult of asceticism, because that is how you would see them, wouldn't you? And you would kind of have a point, since your faction is the one that stayed where they were after the Fall, and the others are the ones that left. If anyone is an offshoot it's them!

So if 'Drukhari' is their name for themselves, when and why did they stop seeing themselves as just 'the eldar'? Maybe the eldar race is coming together as a single society, calling itself 'Aeldari' instead of 'Eldarith' to avoid coming into conflict over who is more 'eldarith', and forming identity groups within that society with names like 'Drukhari'?

Who knows! Smile
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 21:51

The Red King wrote:
I think I would like it much better if the the "i" was silent.  Thus I will call them Drew-car because I can't unhear drew Carey.

I don't think it would be pronounced "Drew-K-air-ee"
It would be pronounced "Drew-K-are-ee"
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30 2017, 23:40

Hmm if you pronounce the first bit run together as drook-are-ee instead of drew-car-ee it does sound better.

Maybe I just need to use a harder K sound and actually slip the h sound in there.

PostSubject: Re: Drukhari - What do we think?   Drukhari - What do we think? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drukhari - What do we think?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next