THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

What's in a name?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DrBored
Hellion

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 02:40

What's in a name? Well, a freaking way to identify something. Without a name, you've got a harder time establishing a reputation! What will the mortals and slaves screech when they see you approach? "Oh no! It's that... guy!" Certainly not very terror-inducing.

That said, I'm having some difficulty coming up with an appropriate name for my group of Dark Eldar.

I wish I had a pic of some of my models.. Well, suffice it to say, they're black with deep blue trim and highlights, with orange accents. It's a dark color scheme with some pleasant contrast that's not too vibrant but not too subdued either, and it's working quite well. I imagine the group to be skilled in water-based combat, whether it be skimming across the water, or fighting under the surface of it, harvesting the creatures under the waves for their aquatic arenas and haemonculi experiments.

So I need a name that works with that water-based theme but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything besides 'Space Sharks' and 'The Red Tide'...

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 02:46

Are you playing a Kabal, Cult or Coven?
Back to top Go down
DrBored
Hellion

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 02:51

Xelkireth wrote:
Are you playing a Kabal, Cult or Coven?

Wonderful question! The army consists mostly of Trueborn and Warriors, though the big-hitters are Scourges and Ravenwing, and the HQ's are a mix of Haemonculi and the Duke or Archons... I suppose the majority is Kabal.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 03:13

Ideas:
-Kabal of the Abyssal Leviathans
-Kabal of the Abyssal Lords
-Kabal of the Void Krakens
-Kabal of the Jagged Triton

Most of my ideas came from here. I chose Abyssal for the secondary definition of abyss: an immeasurably deep gulf or great space, which runs along with Void.
Back to top Go down
DrBored
Hellion

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 04:11

Oh awesome! This gives me some great ideas!

I'm thinking something with Scylla, since some of that resonates with the Dark Eldar piracy...

Kabal of Scyllian Wake
Kabal of Black Scylla

Hmm...
Back to top Go down
Rangrok1k
Hellion

Location : The Spires of upper Commorragh, amongst the Scourges

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 04:50

DrBored wrote:

I'm thinking something with Scylla, since some of that resonates with the Dark Eldar piracy...

Kabal of Scyllian Wake
Kabal of Black Scylla

Hmm...
Personally, Scylla doesn't sound right without Charybdis. Scylla and Charybdis are the origin of the phrase "Stuck between a rock and a hard place," and it feels odd to me when they are not complimenting each other in some way.
Back to top Go down
DrBored
Hellion

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 04:53

Rangrok1k wrote:
DrBored wrote:

Kabal of Scyllian Wake
Kabal of Black Scylla

Hmm...
Personally, Scylla doesn't sound right without Charybdis. Scylla and Charybdis are the origin of the phrase "Stuck between a rock and a hard place," and it feels odd to me when they are not complimenting each other in some way.

Right, but how would you work them into a single Kabal name that realizes the definitions of Charybdis and Scylla coming together? You'd get quite the long-winded name, which isn't something I'm looking for. I understand that they go hand in hand in mythology, but not necessarily when naming something. Perhaps the Scyllian Wake Kabal have an ally, like the Wrath of Charybdis Coven/Cult?
Back to top Go down
Rangrok1k
Hellion

Location : The Spires of upper Commorragh, amongst the Scourges

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 05:02

DrBored wrote:
Right, but how would you work them into a single Kabal name that realizes the definitions of Charybdis and Scylla coming together? You'd get quite the long-winded name, which isn't something I'm looking for. I understand that they go hand in hand in mythology, but not necessarily when naming something. Perhaps the Scyllian Wake Kabal have an ally, like the Wrath of Charybdis Coven/Cult?
Touché

I'm just kinda nitpicking so feel free to ignore me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 09:09

Why not name your Archons Scylla and Charybdis? (and also, a succubus should be named Kirke, and they should be attcking the Odysseyan Sector)

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed May 25 2011, 16:13

Saintspirit wrote:
Why not name your Archons Scylla and Charybdis? (and also, a succubus should be named Kirke, and they should be attcking the Odysseyan Sector)
This has my vote.
Back to top Go down
DrBored
Hellion

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 00:19

Saintspirit wrote:

Hah! That sounds perfect!
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 09:38

Looking forward seeing how they will look as models Smile

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 14:18

Look into the Warhammer Dark-Elf Corsairs for some good convertions bits and standards/banners. Lot's of good ideas here, be sure to let us know what you decide.
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 14:44

DrBored wrote:
Saintspirit wrote:
Hah! That sounds perfect!
Just one thing - I wonder if not naming a female haemonculus with a hexrifle Kirke instead, considering what she did to Odysseus' men.

Also, you should have Bloodbrides with a Siren.

shamroll wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's in a name?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Kabals Of The Dark City
-