THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Necrontyr Threat

Go down 
+45
Darklight
Evil Space Elves
The Strange Dude
LostAlone
Anggul
1++
Siticus the Ancient
fenrisnorth
Marquis Vaulkhere
Blood drinker
theblackjackal
Mr Believer
Arrex
astorre
Phototoxin
Farmer
Ciirian
Grumpy Kwi
Mathial
Baron Tordeck
Smurfy
lululu_42
Namica
Blackheart
kenny3760
GAR
Tiri Rana
notts
Todo13
Sorrowshard
Rabid Bunny
Nomic
abjectus
Dez
Thor665
Massaen
Shadows Revenge
Urien Rakarth
Local_Ork
Gobsmakked
Aroshamash
Shattershard
SirTainly
Cailos
Sky Serpent
49 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

The Necrontyr Threat Empty
PostSubject: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17 2011, 21:05

Please note this thread is not for discussion of the new models, fluff or Necrons in general, you can do all of that in the thread in GW Rumours. This thread is purely for discussing how the new Necron Codex will affect the Dark Eldar.

So, we've seen a few bits and pieces from the Necrons leaked over the weekend and it has got me pondering how we stand against them. Overall the AV11 transports and troops aren't scaring me that much. The quote below however, terrifies me....

Yakface wrote:
...there is a special character (the Stormlord) who makes the first turn of the game be night fighting no matter what the mission and can try to extend the rule into further turns by rolling higher than the current turn number on a D6...in addition, while the Night Fighting rules are in effect all unengaged enemy units suffer D6 S8 AP5 hits on a D6 roll of '6' at the start of each Necron shooting phase (hit by lightning strikes).

That's going to strike down a fair few vehicles.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17 2011, 21:22

I think as you said the Special Character is the scariest thing in the Codex. We do have night vision so that isn't the problem its the lightening strikes stuff that is scary if he is lucky first turn he can demech us without firing at all. I am alittle happier to see Monoliths now that Lances and Meltas work against them now.
Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17 2011, 23:00

I'm worried the Necrons will steal the DE's clothes with their fast skimmers that can fire all their guns.

Either they'll do what the DE better, which will be bad news, or it'll force other armies to make builds to counter the Necrons, which will also work great against DE.

Although in our Marine lite meta, who knows what effect it'll have up here as everyone and their dog seems to have Necrons in a cupboard somewhere to wheel out (myself included)
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
Shattershard
Slave
Shattershard

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 01:22

You know, unless the Crons are getting their share of Night Vision as well, we'll actually be shooting at an advantage against them. In effect we gain a slight bonus for the chance of taking some suitably nasty hits on our vehicles.

Am I really worried? Nah, our kites seem to explode quickly enough as it is The extra imposed threat for a slightly better Living Lightning to hit 1-2 vehicles a turn is marginal compared to the rest of the firepower I expect. I would only really care if that's what the Necron player was relying on for anti-tank, which would be a silly thing to do.

I am a little perplexed by the Razorwing/VR skeletons the tin boys are stealing for their aircraft. But I guess that just goes to show how good our designs are! Very Happy

What a Face
OH JESUS! STOP DOING THAT KHERADRUAKH!
Back to top Go down
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 02:29

Well, he does apparently cost over 200 points, so we'll just go the way you deal with the old C'Tan. Laugh, and destroy the rest of his smaller-than-usual army. Sure, it'll be painful at times, but he'll only hit 1/6 of our stuff, on average, but the real problem will be if that rule is deemed to work during standard Night Fighting, not just the night-fighting caused by his special rule.

Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 08:35

Sky Serpent wrote:
..... The quote below however, terrifies me....

Yakface wrote:
...there is a special character (the Stormlord) who makes the first turn of the game be night fighting no matter what the mission and can try to extend the rule into further turns by rolling higher than the current turn number on a D6...in addition, while the Night Fighting rules are in effect all unengaged enemy units suffer D6 S8 AP5 hits on a D6 roll of '6' at the start of each Necron shooting phase (hit by lightning strikes).

That's going to strike down a fair few vehicles.

I'm going to reserve final judgement until I have the actual codex in my grubby little hands, but I have to say this sounds just a little OTT. Vect gets three regular DL on an AV13 Ravager to and this guy potentially gets D6 S8 hits each turn?

How would you roll for it? Per unit (which would really slow things down), in which case I had 14 KP's on the table the other night and I could easily imagine at least two of those on average each turn getting hit. Or per turn, so one dice only at the start of your turn? That might lessen the odds of units getting hit a bit, but when you do hit with it, then all units would be affected. You could potentially lose your entire army in one turn, "Good night".

If this is true, then I will slap the next person who says my Razorwing is overpowered.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 09:02

I *hope* that is [autocensored]. Even if (as I think) this "suffers hit on 6" would apply to single unit, kinda like everything on board get shoot by BS1 "sniper"...

Also, that guy would be completely unreliable - it's like 5-6 rolls in row, good rolls (mostly better than 4+), to harm anything. 6^6= 46656. Chance to do something (per unit) would be small fracture of that...

Think that scare me most is possibility of Gauss = Rending. For S4 it is pen up to AV 12 and glance on 13 and, most important, doing it pretty reliable due to sheer ammount of shoots. That's... bad.

[edit]
Seems like Yakface (probably most reliable source at this point) don't agree with me about Gauss (same lamesauce 6=glance).
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 13:04

It's a Mat Ward Codex so all bets are off for it being balanced nicely.

Personally I run with Sliscus anyway, so if this chap gets the first turn just reserve everything and enjoy two turns of not having to deal with it. Although I imagine that after the Grey Knights codex creep will mean this army is setup to beat Grey Knights which will massively hose DE.
Back to top Go down
http://6inchmove.wordpress.com
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 15:48

Living Metal kinda ponders me alittle bit... Ok, in a mech heavy 5ed, the last 3 codexs have had the entire spectrum of mech. Lets see...

DE: Light mech that ignores 1/3 of the incoming shots, but if it gets hit it dies
GKs: Average/High mech that ignores 1/3 of the damage chart 90% of the time
Crons: Average mech that is actually high mech until it get hit, which ignores 1/6 of the chart 83% of the time, and 2/6 of the chart 50% of the time

Its just seem they have gone a complete route of "well... everyone plays mech... so we might as well find new ways to keep those vehicles alive" My biggest fear is that if 6th ed does change to a more balanced focused lists, that these armies special abilties will be either not used, or so overpowered itll be unbarable.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 16:17

I would say they actually may be ballanced with wound-based models. Note that rules ain't made "till deadline", they are made years in advance. I dare to say 6'th ed is already playtested.

Last edited by Local_Ork on Tue Oct 18 2011, 17:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 17:05

I rmemeber reading an interview with Jes goodwin (I think it was him) that codex/rules are playtested as much as 18 months in advance!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 17:30

So I guess bigger projects like new edition of their flagship product are started and done even earlier. Saying that just by logistic fact - You need to print much more rulebooks than You plan to sell on premiere, print smaller starter versions, make translations... a lot more work than with codices (actually I doubt GW translates them, at least in Poland other firm pull it off, few weeks after English release).

I hope DE and "late" books would not be next Orks (who release codex weeks before ruleset shift?). We have a lot USRs that can be nerfed...
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 17:50

the funny part at the onset of 5th ed Orks were amazing. 5th helped them alot (from what I remember, its been along time ago Razz ) But what has hurt them was the inherent flaw in 5th... making mech so good. Orks just dont have the long range fire to suppress mech long enough to get those powerklaws to grib with them. If orks had something like haywire blasters, and could get them in mass quanity, Id bet they would still be up top, even over Space Puppies...

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 18:28

Orks were the bee's knees at the dawn of 5th.
Frankly, I still think they're a good dex.

Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 18:43

Gobsmakked wrote:
If this is true, then I will slap the next person who says my Razorwing is overpowered.

Who the hell says that, the only time mine has every lasted past a turn after its arrival is when no-one shoots at it!

I'm itching to see all the new Necron rules, but I get the horrible feeling that they will be making short work of our mech.
Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 18:44

I sill think Orks are a great dex too, and in the hands of a skilled player can handle just about anything. I play an army composed of mainly Meganobz and Flash Gitz, and win most of my games Wink

My first instinct is not to worry, but that's based on the current codex. I figure DE have enough firepower to phase out Necrons without much of a problem. But what if Phase Out is gone? How are points going to be? Will the rumored changes to the Necron Warriors make them a bit easier to kill, but reduce their points value to make Necrons a horde of armored skeletons with WBB? Will we see even more Razorwings?

I'm really curious. I almost went with Necrons as my new army, but changed my mind. The allure of the Dark Eldar was too strong Wink
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 19:48

I'm thinking the reaper may be good against them. Semi hoard army that loses save vs the 5" blast, and there vehicles special defense is ignored by haywire. Monolith no longer immune to lance. Assuming quantum fields is +2 to armour till shot gets through, if its 2++ till shot gets through it will be nightmare fighting them. Eldar, IG, and grey nights would do okay against the 2++, so hopefully they don't use them to playtest and think its fine.
Some of the rules rumored sound like the codex will be unique and interesting, if necrons are as balanced as the other grey knights it's good enough for me to say it will make game better. Fewer marine/imperial more xenos.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 20:12

Thor665 wrote:
Orks were the bee's knees at the dawn of 5th.
Frankly, I still think they're a good dex.

So do I. There are just so many beautiful things about that dex. And in the hands of a good general, Nob Bikers are some of the scariest things alive.

As for the Codex in general... who knows since Ward was in charge. But if all their vehicles get a 2++ until it fails then I think everyone will cry foul. I dont think Ward is that stupid to do that. As for the 2+ to their armor. Its kinda interesting to see if Lance ability will lower it. Because if not I think we are going to be f'd so badly if we dont bring haywires. We have our hands full with AV 12 already Razz

Actually I think Crons will hammer into our Archon's mind even more so the potency of Haywires and Haywire Blasters. One shot from a haywire blaster, and bam... they are back to a glorified ravager Razz
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 22:18

From what I've read, the Stormlord ability seems to work like this: AT the beginning of the Necron shooting phase, if night fighting is on, you roll D6. If you get a 6, every enemy unit in the board not in combat thas D6 s8 hits. It's be very unreliable, as it has a 1 in 6 chanse of triggering per turn and on average you'd get about 3 turns of nigh fighting a game (the longer the game goes, the harder it is for him to keep up the night fighting. It would be impossible to do so after turn 5). It's not something the Necron players can rely on happening, but it's still pretty damn annoying if they essentially have 1 in 6 chanse of automatically winning the game against us (since D6 s8 hits would on average be enough to wreck all of our transports, and without our vehicles we tend to die real quickly).

SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 22:32

Given most tournaments seem to play one DoW setup, this could screw with anything you have on the table on turn one.

Admittedly that's probably only one vehicle and passengers given the two troops UNITs crap from the rules, but still.

Last edited by SirTainly on Tue Oct 18 2011, 22:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 22:51

Well, we have Portal... and Duke.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Bunny
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22 2011, 00:49

My main concern is the 3+/3++ jump infantry. I normally send Incubi to tear apart high armour units, but with a 3++ all I can think of doing is sheer volume of shots to take it down. Its not ideal, but it saves risking my Incubi or Wyches in a fight they just won't win.

If Lance trumps Quantum Shielding, I don't think the open topped vehicles will be too much of an issue. Its a bit frustrating that Necrons nicked the fly by attack mechanic and do it better.
Back to top Go down
Sorrowshard
Sybarite
Sorrowshard

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23 2011, 23:32

Dunno from where I am sat with the rumors it's starting to look like a classic Wardex "anything you can do we can do better"

I'll wait for the actual book to land before I go off on one, still think they will have a hard job trying to out b0rk3n GK, but with Ward, who knows .....

Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24 2011, 22:18

I'm trying to work out the probabilities of the Stormlord kicking ass, given the rules so far say on each turn that it's nightfighting, each unengaged unit takes d6 Str8 hits if a 6 is first rolled on a test for that unit. This occurs at the start of each necron shooting phase:

So assuming a test on a Raider or Venom with side armour 10

so the first roll is

Then the pen roll would be

0.667 chance of a pen
0.167 chance of a glance

Pen leading to a wreck or explodes is

Glance leading to wrecked is

thus I reckon the calc is (but could be very wrong)

0.167 x ((0.667 x 0.5) + (0.167x0.167))
0.167 x ((0.334) + (0.028))
0.167 x 0.362

i.e. there's a 6% chance each AV10 vehicle will be popped just from this ability alone.

<EDIT NOTE = THIS ASSUMES JUST ONE HIT FROM THE D6 ROLL>

Last edited by SirTainly on Mon Oct 24 2011, 22:24; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24 2011, 22:19

That is higher than I would like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Necrontyr Threat   The Necrontyr Threat I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Necrontyr Threat
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics