THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Non-Arena Roleplay?

Go down 
+2
opheliate
Lady Malys
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

Non-Arena Roleplay? Empty
PostSubject: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23 2011, 02:58

Are there any plans for a freeform character roleplay, perhaps in the style of a roleplaying or writing board? I would be very interested in such a game. Not to say that the Arena combat games don't work well, but I am very much interested in the political and social side of things, also.

The culture and the society of the Dark City are something I'd like to explore further, if the chance ever arises study
Back to top Go down
opheliate
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23 2011, 08:14

You mean like the Dark Heresy Roleplay books, but for DE?
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23 2011, 14:20

Well, yes that would be a good way to do it; not necessarily something that formal, but that would certainly work Smile

Back to top Go down
opheliate
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23 2011, 15:23

It owuld be cool, no doubt. Why not make one yourself? (if you first change names and stuff since GW legal department is like Darth Vader on a bad day... which is every day. Youd call stuff things like "Charmorga" and "Assdribble Vasectomy", the might leader of the Black Smelldar, space pirates and raiders!)
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23 2011, 19:35

I was thinking of playing it here; like the Arena games. There'd be no need to change the names really. GW are copyright-happy, though I can sort of see why - but I wouldn't be publishing anything Smile

Mind you, if I did get to make a character for a game here, I might need to change my username, as no GM in their right mind would let me play Lady Malys Very Happy

I could do it myself, but ... then I wouldn't get to play! Smile I'll see how the desire to play balances with the desire to explore DE culture ...

Back to top Go down
Noctus Cornix
Kabalite Warrior
Noctus Cornix

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 22:30

I'll see what I can do.

Scraps of red flesh that is splayed all around....
These are a few of my favorite things....
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 23:46

Awesome, count me in if you do! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 10:04

We could try a pbp dark heresy/deathwatch style thing if ye want? I'd need to design up some classes (warrior, wych, hellion, scourge, haemoculus) and a plot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joerogers.info
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 23:38

Well, yes.* That sounds like a good way to do it. I would very much like to give it a try Very Happy I've been really getting into the DE background lately.

* I think what I actually said was 'Eeeeeeeee!!!!!" Very Happy I'm sure Lady Malys doesn't go Eeeeeee.

Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17 2011, 00:03

We'd need players, plot, method of doing rules and ways of determining dice/numbers.

Character creation rules would be of use too.

I imagine dark eldar as being less powerful than a marine but more skilled than an inquisitorial acolyte.
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17 2011, 01:00

Well, considering the first last I know how to get a dice roller for a chat-based game, and I know some forums have them but I'm not sure about this one.

Over on Druchii.net I play in a board-based game there are a couple of styles, one where the GM rolls any dice (usually if there is combat resolution needed), and another where the GM decides in a purely cinematic fashion what should happen next. both being influenced by the players' posts (style and content). Would either of these kind of styles suit, do you think? That doesn't solve the need for rules, but I'd be willing to try to help make some if you like.

I have ... very basic character creation rules for my own game, but they're rough and ready and they're also for Craftworlders/Pirates/Exodites. They're also for use in chats, so they may not be what's needed here.

Depending on the level you want to play at, I'd agree that starting characters would be less powerful than Marines, maybe Kaballite Warrior level?

Back to top Go down
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17 2011, 01:29

I have done a few Play By Post and they are pretty fun. If you get one to the point where you are ready for players I would be interested. I was thinking a while ago about a political based game where everyone leads a kabal and needs to work together and against each other in order to control more of Cammorragh.

I like invisiblecastle.com for my online dice rolling needs.

Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17 2011, 15:08

I've started compiling:

feedback/critique. Essentially its modifying the d100 system to the more manageable and fluid d10 system. Not as good for combat but seeing as how its more intrigue...

Linky

The formatting is better on the original word file but hopefully you get the idea.

Next up: armour, dark muses (like perks) and feats!
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17 2011, 20:10

That looks fine to me; the system covers the basics and it's stripped down and elegant which is what I always want from my systems (I believe that the game mechanics should intrude as little as possible). Rules are there to facilitate the roleplaying and these look nicely up to that job.

I did a quite similar thing with my Eldar game, but I kept a d100 system and used percentiles (rolling under a skill + stat mod). This looks like it would work just as well so no need for those extra 0's. I can't see any issues so far, if I think of anything I'll let you know Smile

Basics covered
stripped down
elegant

Looks like I may play a Wych.

Back to top Go down
Noctus Cornix
Kabalite Warrior
Noctus Cornix

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27 2011, 20:54

Alright, I've managed to cook something up. Expect it either tonight or within the next few days.

It won't be as free form as you like as you will be restricted to only playing Kabalite Warriors of the same squad and you will all be in service to a single Kabal of my choosing, but I do this for the sake of plot and story so ya...

Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27 2011, 21:43

It makes sense to all be in the same Kabal; that gives us a reason to work together, which I think is a good thing.

I'm looking forward to this Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Noctus Cornix
Kabalite Warrior
Noctus Cornix

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27 2011, 22:00

Thanks. How I think this will be working is that I will have you all in the same Kabalite True Born squad. That way you will all have the same mission and will have a small relative freedom and power at your disposal.

Now whether I will keep it that way or have you as a simple Warrior squad I'm still debating about but I think I will be going with the True Born as that will give you a much deeper connection with the Kabal and thus you will be sent on more important missions.

Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27 2011, 23:12

Like covert/commando Trueborn?

Also sorry for lack of updates on other system. PhD taking over!
Back to top Go down
Noctus Cornix
Kabalite Warrior
Noctus Cornix

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28 2011, 04:24

Yes, very covert/commando in your missions. Your missions will also focus more on the True enemy of the Kabal, your fellow kin. Because of the nature of the Dark City the True Borns, along with the other more skilled warriors of the Kabal, will find themselves facing other Dark Eldar more often than they will face any Mon' Keigh filth. The lesser races are only a temporary threat when one goes on a raid, but the threat of your own kin is an eternal serpent that slither's between your bedsheets and strikes at your neck whenever the chance is provided.

Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28 2011, 13:51

Well, this is true Very Happy It also gives us some possible opportunities for political manouevering and deal-making ... things more subtle than a knife in the back but no less deadly.

Phototoxin, what' are you studying for your PhD?
Back to top Go down
Noctus Cornix
Kabalite Warrior
Noctus Cornix

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17 2011, 07:39

I'm sorry for the delay. I got slammed by college for the last few weeks with finals and papers, but I'm all good now that they're over. So expect it up tomorrow. That's a promise.

Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17 2011, 16:37

I understand. I thought this might be the case - it's essay and assignment time of year!

Looking forward to seeing what you've done ...

Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26 2011, 23:58

I am at my parents' for the festive season. I haven't forgotten thatI need to finish my character in the sign-up thread, but I may not have the same internet access 'til I get home.

Just saying I'm still around and still keen! Smile
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27 2011, 20:39

now if only we could get more people interested, we would all be set Razz

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-Arena Roleplay?   Non-Arena Roleplay? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Non-Arena Roleplay?
Page 1 of 1