THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?

Go down 
+14
Massaen
CurstAlchemist
Myrvn
Hen Tai, the tentacle guy
The Red King
Jetie
CptMetal
HERO
PFI
Hellstrom
Subsanity
nerdelemental
Count Adhemar
The Shredder
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 10:40

Basically the title. How do you guys think Ynnari are looking in 8th?

Also, how necessary do you think their characters are?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 10:50

I'm not sure about Ynnari in 8e. With the ability to take any Aeldari unit in our armies anyway it really comes down to whether SfD is worth more to you than PfP, Battle Focus or Rising Crescendo.

Harlequins were a no-brainer for Ynnari in 7e but they now lose Rising Crescendo and I think that's potentially more valuable, or at least more reliable, than SfD.

Battle Focus I think I'd probably swap for SfD in most cases.

Power from Pain is a tricky one. The units that benefit from it the most are melee units but SfD probably benefits shooting units more. I guess you probably want to take DE melee units but back them up with a second wave of Ynnari shooting units to benefit from any casualties the melee units cause/receive.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 11:01

Count Adhemar wrote:
I'm not sure about Ynnari in 8e. With the ability to take any Aeldari unit in our armies anyway it really comes down to whether SfD is worth more to you than PfP, Battle Focus or Rising Crescendo.

Harlequins were a no-brainer for Ynnari in 7e but they now lose Rising Crescendo and I think that's potentially more valuable, or at least more reliable, than SfD.

Battle Focus I think I'd probably swap for SfD in most cases.

Power from Pain is a tricky one. The units that benefit from it the most are melee units but SfD probably benefits shooting units more. I guess you probably want to take DE melee units but back them up with a second wave of Ynnari shooting units to benefit from any casualties the melee units cause/receive.

That's a concise and useful summary, cheers. Smile

Any thoughts on the 3 Ynnari characters?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 11:27

Yvraine is a decent psyker with her Gyrinx and potentially tough to kill due to regaining lost wounds when nearby Aeldari are killed. SfD might be good as you could potentially get another Smite or Gaze off in the enemy turn or use Word of the Phoenix to give another unit a Soulburst action.

Visarch decent in combat and his ability to give -1LD could be useful. SfD to let him attack twice per turn would probably be good for him.

Yncarne has excellent movement abilities but still overcosted IMO.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 12:24

Count Adhemar wrote:
Yvraine is a decent psyker with her Gyrinx and potentially tough to kill due to regaining lost wounds when nearby Aeldari are killed. SfD might be good as you could potentially get another Smite or Gaze off in the enemy turn or use Word of the Phoenix to give another unit a Soulburst action.

Visarch decent in combat and his ability to give -1LD could be useful. SfD to let him attack twice per turn would probably be good for him.

Yncarne has excellent movement abilities but still overcosted IMO.

Thanks for that. It's useful to know because Yvraine is the one I'm most interested in. She also seems pretty cheap, which is nice.
Back to top Go down
nerdelemental
Kabalite Warrior
nerdelemental

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 12:43

I've played two games so far. What I'm worried about now is the first turn alpha strike (it's a thing) and psykers. I think Ynnari's SfD would help on those turns where we're getting unnecessarily hammered. But the access to good and reliable psykers is what I like of the 3 Ynnari. Well, 2 of them.
Of course, as Count said, we have access to Eldar's psyker's without much of a problem, either. We'll need to test them all and see synergy. Personally, I think the SfD and other durability of the Ynnari girls makes them more appealing to plug our holes so I plan to go straight to them with future games.
Back to top Go down
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 13:36

Anyone know if units can take advantage of SFD in open top transports?
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 14:08

They cannot. No "aura" affects anything coming in, or going out of transports.
Back to top Go down
PFI
Kabalite Warrior
PFI

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 16:25

I like that the Yncarne gives all Ynnari ignore wounds on a roll of 6. This seems to apply to vehicles too since there is no other limitation and he is very useful as a deterrent to first turn charges. I took him with my army in a spearhead detachment with my ravagers and scourges to make them ynnari. My opponent is gonna gun for the ravagers so he pops up, gives them a 6+ additional fnp and then scourges come in and he uses his psychic powers to give them a second round of shooting. I think the yncarne isn't overcosted and is more durable, with the can't target character protection
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 17:22

100% will move entire DE army to Ynnari.

I'll tell you one thing though: I really think Dark Eldar will benefit the most from being Ynnari. There's just way too many instances where Strength from Death and out of sequence movement, shooting and fighting is so strong. Dark Eldar units are also perfect for dying, and killing things with lethal efficiency, so in actuality they're probably the best sub-faction of Aeldari (it's going to take a while for this word to stick) to capitalize on triggering these events. Small fragile units tend to die hastily, so even a unit of Blasterborn dying out of anguish will trigger another squad nearby to annihilate something. Even someone like the Solitaire will get plenty of action out of this because he can possibly attack multiple times a turn. At this point, you can basically assume that most of my DE army lists will be Ynnari. They just make sense for me for many reasons: The first being that I think the Eldar faction has finally come together and accepted their fate, and I can also use it as my reasoning for including seemingly random Aeldari units in my primarily DE army. The fact that I think their flavor bonus is much more flexible and powerful than Battle Focus, Power from Pain and Rising Crescendo is just icing on the cake.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 17:26

how do you use them or this SfD rule, given that it´s not workig on transports and the dudes inside?
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 17:44

CptMetal wrote:
how do you use them or this SfD rule, given that it´s not workig on transports and the dudes inside?

The SfD rule is a luxury rule that's extremely useful. You do your work in your transports until your transports go down, but if you see opportunities for the rule to trigger that pays off for you, you should probably take it. This involves disembarking your dudes as needed.

Other than that, if you're playing in transports anyway, none of the other special rules for the Aeldari really help you. SfD offers the most flexibility and is the most opportunistic that only benefits the high lethality, poor damage capacity that DE is naturally tuned for.
Back to top Go down
Jetie
Slave
Jetie

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 17:45

I'm looking forward to using yvraine to cast SfD onto reavers and hellions. Useful for double move + charge, two lots of shooting is always solid. Two lots of attacks or charges is also outstanding, but I think after my last games I would like to tryout; killing a unit in combat then moving away 14"+ 8" advance to get away from trouble.

Does her power affect the voidraven to let it shoot twice?
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 17:51

Jetie wrote:
I'm looking forward to using yvraine to cast SfD onto reavers and hellions. Useful for double move + charge, two lots of shooting is always solid. Two lots of attacks or charges is also outstanding, but I think after my last games I would like to tryout; killing a unit in combat then moving away 14"+ 8" advance to get away from trouble.

Does her power affect the voidraven to let it shoot twice?

SfD and Soulburst only applies to Ynnari Infantry and Bikers.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 19:37

However her psychic power does not stipulate a unit with SFD just a <ynnari> unit, which almost all Aeldari can be.

So yes.
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 20:03

The Red King wrote:
However her psychic power does not stipulate a unit with SFD just a <ynnari> unit, which almost all Aeldari can be.

So yes.

Are you sure on this? It tells you to see Strength from Death which immediately puts you back into the Ynnari Infantry/Bike only clause.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 20:33

The rule only specifies it is common to all infantry and bikes. It does not say it is exclusive to them.

The spell only stipulates the target have the ynnari keyword. Nothing else.
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 21:25

The Red King wrote:
The rule only specifies it is common to all infantry and bikes. It does not say it is exclusive to them.

The spell only stipulates the target have the ynnari keyword. Nothing else.

I don't know man, you seem to be netbearding this rule pretty hard Razz

It's pretty clear to me what the RaI is, but if you want to push for this rule at your club go for it.
Back to top Go down
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 22:15

Played against ynnari, wednesday. Opponent had yncarne and yvraine. Yncarne is dangerous, but succumbs easily to focused fire. Yvraine killed herself at second perils of the warp, killing a dark reapers squad, my succubus and putting wounds on wraithguard squad with d scythes. The opponents yvraine became my mvp. I laughed hard.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 22:57

I don't understand how that is netbearding.

I'm following exactly what it says. You're the one adding words to it.

If that's RAI in your mind we will just have to agree to disagree. The spell lists exactly how to do it and neither the spell or SFD say "can only affect infantry and bikes"

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh but the onus of proof lies on the one interpreting the rule and not the one simply reading it.

Also I would like to welcome you back. It's good to see people returning.
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 23:01

Anyone else wonder if they released the rules into the wild two weeks early to come up with a day 1 FAQ?
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 09 2017, 23:07

To much foresight for GW, so I have to say no. jocolor
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10 2017, 02:34

The Red King wrote:
I don't understand how that is netbearding.

I'm following exactly what it says. You're the one adding words to it.

If that's RAI in your mind we will just have to agree to disagree.  The spell lists exactly how to do it and neither the spell or SFD  say "can only affect infantry and bikes"

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh but the onus of proof lies on the one interpreting the rule and not the one simply reading it.

Also I would like to welcome you back. It's good to see people returning.

I don't know man, the last line of Army of the Reborn specifically says that Infantry and Biker with the Ynnari keyword gain SfD. In order for Word of the Phoenix to affect a vehicle for example, then it must also have the Strength from Death ability in order to Soulburst.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10 2017, 02:54

Sorry Hero - I agree with the RedKing.

The power only requires you to target a friendly Ynnari that has not soulburst this turn. Tht unit immediately soul bursts.

NOTHING in the power requires the model to have strength from death. so a vehicle or wraithknight is a perfectly valid target.

Is it friendly? Yes
Has it soul burst already? No
You can cast it and soul burst.
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 10 2017, 02:55

See that last bit is pure conjecture.

The power says "an <ynnari> unit may soulburst".

It never says the unit in question has to have the strength from death rule. Only "See strength from death" which explains how to soulburst.

Neither word of the Phoenix or strength from death says you MUST be an infantry or biker to benefit from this rule.

Case in point, the Yncarne is neither.

Beat me to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?   Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Ynnari in 8th?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next