THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Edge Highlights

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 16 2017, 22:49

i've started to edge highlight my venoms. I was wondering how you highlight the panels that aren't on the edge. do you use the edge of the tip of your brush, freehand it, very small brush, ect...

and, should I highlight/edge highlight metallics?
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 17 2017, 08:07

You don't want a too small brush as it won't hold enough paint and makes it difficult to control. I use a Raphael no.0 brush (Windsor & newton 1 works fine as well). You can angle the brush to catch the edges of the panels on the inside but this is tricky. I just straight up paint the lines on. Needs a steady hand though! Any mistakes I just paint over with the base colour afterwards

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 17 2017, 21:08

Yeah cool I've started to do that and it looks pretty good.

Thanks

DISCLAIMER - I will not be liable for assassinations, gang warfare, murders, turf disputes, drug &/or weapon theft, petty theft, torture or any other actions. If you have any problems, you can take it up with my Incubi.

PLOG- Ghosts of the Webway
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19 2017, 12:19

You can do edge highlighting with edge of the brush, thats the way to go with any infantry model and also all lines on vehicles. The most important point is - do not dilute paint too much when doing edge highlighting. You can use almost non-diluted paint, just be carefull how many you take on the brush. If you will dilute it - it will break from brush during contact and you will not achieve required effect. You may consider using more then 1 color when you do this, thats really easy technique that yields great results.

Highlighting with tip of the brush is too messy, if you dont have the hand for it. I dont have it.

Size of the brush for this work - 0 or 1, or 2. Not too small. Brush must be in a conidtion to hold paint, and not soak it.

wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19 2017, 23:27

Azdrubael wrote:
You can do edge highlighting with edge of the brush, thats the way to go with any infantry model and also all lines on vehicles. The most important point is - do not dilute paint too much when doing edge highlighting. You can use almost non-diluted paint, just be carefull how many you take on the brush. If you will dilute it - it will break from brush during contact and you will not achieve required effect. You may consider using more then 1 color when you do this, thats really easy technique that yields great results.

Highlighting with tip of the brush is too messy, if you dont have the hand for it. I dont have it.

Size of the brush for this work - 0 or 1, or 2. Not too small. Brush must be in a conidtion to hold paint, and not soak it.

thanks! I should probably start a project log...
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07 2017, 12:10

If you can't edge highlight it, just go freehand.

Pratice before on a flat surface (I usually go on GW plastic figurine wrappers) by drawing thin lines.
Don't go too quickly, in fact, the slower the better for regularity (when I was younger i used to rush lines like these, thinking it will be straighter. Hint : it doesn't)

It just take pratice, and well you can still do correction if you mess up.

I'd also recommand (on big stuff like vehicules) to do an all around higlight, and then do a brighter selective highlight, on spikes & corner. It will be long and painfull but the result will be great Wink

Edge Highlights 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Edge Highlights 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Arani
Hellion
Arani

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07 2017, 13:51

I'm by no means the best painter out there, but I'd suggest just practicing it over and again. Eventually you just fall into the rhythm of it and you develop a hand for it. Thin your paints a lot, and if you mess up, you should be able to just swipe away the mess to clean things up.

Also depending on your scheme, another neat trick is to use the side of a pencil to give a nice, sharpened edge with a slight hint of metallic. Although you will need to seal it with Lhamaean Medium, Ard Coat, or another type of varnish.

Edge Highlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edge Highlights   Edge Highlights I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Edge Highlights
Page 1 of 1