THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Reimagining of the Dark Kin

Go down 
+6
The Strange Dark One
FuelDrop
|Meavar
URIEN
CptMetal
Sarkesian
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarkesian
Kabalite Warrior
Sarkesian

Reimagining of the Dark Kin  Empty
PostSubject: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 05:45

So I was playing a game tonight against both new marine book and chaos marine book. Everything the Dark Eldar were before is now done better by these new books. I had an idea while driving home and I have to get it written down somewhere before it goes away. The Dark Eldar used to be primarily a fast army. But what does that mean anymore? We need a new identity and I think I may have found it!

Stat manipulating

We could be the most annoying army to face as we would be able to change the outcome of the battle by altering stats throughout the game. For instance, my first thoughts went to the Cronos and Talos. The parasite engine sure doesn't do what the name implies. So I thought of a great way to make it a solid support option. Ignoring points and stats for now and focusing on abilities.

Cronos - Whenever the Cronos kills a model with the spirit siphon or vortex, decrease the Toughness of that unit by 1 for 1 round, this can happen in consecutive turns. For every model slain, increase the Toughness of the Cronos by 1 to a maximum of 10.

It becomes difficult to kill, and weakened those around it. I would field these in a heartbeat!

Talos - Whenever the Talos kills a model in CC, decrease the units Strength by 1 for 1 round. This can happen in consecutive turns. For ever model killed in CC increase the Strength by 1 to a maximum of 10.

The Talos now becomes our strongest unit strengthwise. It becomes scary and can threaten everything in the board.

Reavers - Cluster Caltrops now happen during the movement phase. Any unit that is flown over by Reavers with caltrops have their Movement reduced by 2 for 1 round. On a roll of a 4+ also deal 1 mortal wound per caltrop in the squad.

Grav talon - when a reaver with this item charges, deal 1 mortal wound for each grav talon in the squad.

Reavers are now very threatening in close combat on the charge and when they fly over. This gives them a purpose to harass.

Hellions - Using the hooks on their hellglaives, Hellions are able to make sharp turns slingshotting them through combat by hooking onto nearby objects. Add 3 inches to the pile in move on a successful charge. If an enemy unit is the object they hooked onto, deal 1 mortal wound. If the Helliarch is armed with a stun claw, deal an additional mortal wound.

Not so much stat manipulation of the enemy, but the additional movement helps position better in combat.

Succubus - Champion of the arena (aura) enemy units within 3 inches of a Succubus or Wych Cult unit within 3 inches of the Succubus subtract 1 from their Attacks stat to a minimum of 1.

This will help the staying power of wyches by reducing the return strikes in combat.

Haemonculus - +1 Toughness aura is good, I like this as is.

Archon - Master Tactician, Enemy stratagems cost an additional point when an enemy HQ is within 6 inches of an Archon. All successful morale tests made by an enemy unit within 12 inches must be rerolled at -1 leadership.

Husk Blade - +1S AP-3 d3 damage. Deal an additional mortal wound if a 6 is rolled to wound.

Manipulating their command points feels like it could be huge! You want to interrupt my charge? You're gonna pay for it. And the huskblade feels more powerful.

Drazhar - Increase friendly Incubus model attacks by 1. If Drazhar kills at lease 1 model in the fight phase, he may pile in again and gain an additional d3 attacks.

He feels more threatening this way.

Lelith - Arena Goddess, always putting on a show and inspiring all wuch cult units around her, Lelith grants all friendly wych cult units +1 attack. For every model killed by Lelith, increase her attack value by 1 to a maximum of 10. Bloodbride units gain half of the attacks of Lelith as they seek to imitate the her if they are within 6 inches of her.

Makes her a powerful leader and not shabby in combat.

I've been thinking of other things as well, but not as cohesively yet. I want everyone who wants to, to pitch in with this. If nothing else it's a good time passer.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 08:34

I like it. Pack It up and send it to games workshop please.

Kabalite Warrior
URIEN

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 08:58

Dang I'm certainly down for this! I'm not against your proposal for Lelith, but... I feel we should just increase her ATK by one or two base. Don't see why she would just keep getting more attacks, but maybe something to show her skill for when she fights numerous opponents at once like we've had in her lore. She can already split her attacks between her weapons putting her attacks up to 7, so the extra one or two base is great.

The feel of Talos' and Cronos' being able to do something like that feels mint. There is plenty more stuff that needs doing, like a better PFP on 5's for Covens and such and Cronos' making it better like before. But this is a good start on these.

The husk blade certainly needs a boost, defo' more choices of wargear as well. Like CptMetal says, get it sent to them!

Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 09:49

Is there an official place where we can send suggestions?
Back to top Go down
URIEN
Kabalite Warrior
URIEN

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 09:57

I've seen plenty of people comment suggestions like this on the Warhammer 40,000 FB page. They seem to take notice and say that they'd pass it on to the relevant team. Maybe somewhere on their official community site?

Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 12:18

I really like the gimmick of being a debuff focused army. I might even suggest that our poisoned weapons could do a debuff, maybe to leadership? After all, we don't have the most potent toxins in the game, we might as well have side effects.

I would also suggest that possibly Phantasm Grenades give a debuff to WS/BS, making offence literally our best defense.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 12:41

I would really love it if we would go for debuffing.
Making that we do not win by killing them instantly (usually not a fun game). but by weakening them slowly. Then PfP makes more sense as well, and 1 turn in which we fail can still turn the battle around.
But I think that 8th tried to reduce the amount of things you can put on units so there is less to remember making everything go smoother. Thus I doubt we will get much debuffing. Although I hope we do.

We already lost some of our first strike potential (which is not bad for the game, it is just stupid that some others got so good at it). And speed, it sometimes feels like every melee based army has a bigger charge distance then we do.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 13:31

I think Leadership should be our one big thing. Splinter Weapons could lower the moral of enemies by 1 and we should have ways to circumvent the Morale mechanics of Marines, Tyranids, Orks or Guard.

Coven in particular are destined to work with leadership and debuff mechanics. Just give the Haemonculi some love and provide them with tools so they can capitalize on the enemy's leadership.

Sarkesian wrote:
We could be the most annoying army to face as we would be able to change the outcome of the battle by altering stats throughout the game. For instance, my first thoughts went to the Cronos and Talos. The parasite engine sure doesn't do what the name implies. So I thought of a great way to make it a solid support option. Ignoring points and stats for now and focusing on abilities.

Cronos - Whenever the Cronos kills a model with the spirit siphon or vortex, decrease the Toughness of that unit by 1 for 1 round, this can happen in consecutive turns. For every model slain, increase the Toughness of the Cronos by 1 to a maximum of 10.

It becomes difficult to kill, and weakened those around it. I would field these in a heartbeat!

Talos - Whenever the Talos kills a model in CC, decrease the units Strength by 1 for 1 round. This can happen in consecutive turns. For ever model killed in CC increase the Strength by 1 to a maximum of 10.

The Talos now becomes our strongest unit strengthwise. It becomes scary and can threaten everything in the board.

I love these changes, but I would rather see something that allows them to actually reach their targets. I've seen fan codices that made them flying monstrous creatures, but a simple Deep Strike could work too.

Sarkesian wrote:
Husk Blade - +1S AP-3 d3 damage. Deal an additional mortal wound if a 6 is rolled to wound.

I would drop the +1S and just make it a Power Sword with D3 damage.
Why? Because I would love the Soul Trap coming back. For every killed model, an Archon can increase his strength on a 4+. If the model was a Monster or a Character, it works on a 2+.

Remember when Archons could have S10 in 5th edition? Yes, the good old days.

Sarkesian wrote:
Manipulating their command points feels like it could be huge! You want to interrupt my charge? You're gonna pay for it.

Love it

[quote="Sarkesian"]Lelith - Arena Goddess, always putting on a show and inspiring all wuch cult units around her, Lelith grants all friendly wych cult units +1 attack. For every model killed by Lelith, increase her attack value by 1 to a maximum of 10. Bloodbride units gain half of the attacks of Lelith as they seek to imitate the her if they are within 6 inches of her. [quote="Sarkesian"]

Not opposed to this, but what Lilith needs most is a reliable way to wound. I'd give her re-rolling wounds against Characters and suddenly she will be a formidable opponent.

Also, I want to make a suggestion about Grotesques. Increase their wounds by 1 and give them an extra attack for every lost wound. Most units are getting weaker when they are shot, but our Haemonculi know better. Suffering and pain should be what makes Coven equipment more effective after all.

On another note, I think many people neglect our special weapons too much in favour of model rules.
Most of our gear is average at best and not many units can field them to begin with. I've said it before and I say it again: Let Wracks/Warriors have 2x special weapons for every 5 models, introduce a mini Disintegrator Cannon akin to Blasters and improve Heat Lances, Haywire Blasters and Liquifiers.
And make it that all of the above can be taken as an actual choice.
Back to top Go down
Sarkesian
Kabalite Warrior
Sarkesian

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 13:54

Someone. While back mentioned various poison ammo for our splinter weapons. This could be similar to Wood Elves ammo from 8th edition. -1LD (fear inducing), -1WS (paralysis), -1BS (blurred vision), -1M (slowing agent), etc. It has already existed in their products. We would be a great fit for this gimmick in 40k.
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 14:01

Can anyone else remember back when Wyches could take shredders? Or am I showing my age again?
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 14:03

Dark Eldar are the new Cryx. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 14:19

Moved to Rules Development.
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 16:00

Whatever happened to Freakshow, anyway?
I mean we were a morale debuff army in 7th.
With Haemonculus covens and all that.

Only that it didn't work overly well vs Muhreens.
Now And They Shall Know No Fear is nerfed but so is our Morale Debuff potential.
Is there anything left in pure Drukhari besides Phantasm Grenades?

If we'd get back the Morale Debuffs as they were in 7th come 8th Ed. Codex, we'd be a positive nightmare.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 16:16

Night Lords do that now

Sarkesian
Kabalite Warrior
Sarkesian

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 16:44

Exactly Count Adhemar. Night Lords are the premier morale army now. I feel a revision on this level will make DE feel unique again. And you can make it fluffy too.

"After the fall of entire sections of Commoragh to daemons, the Drukhari decide to go to war. Raids, although still important, are no longer the focus as the DE pull out all the stops and unleash their full aresenal of weapons. Urien has perfected his monstrous engines, Lelith has honed her skills over many years and is ready to unleash them. Drazhar takes up the mantle of lord of the incubus shrines. Vect and Malys put aside differences and unite the Kabals for war (always being wary of each other).

Something like that. I want DE to go to war! We have the best technology in the galaxy. Let's show everyone why we are to be feared.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 17:02

There aren't enough tools to make the Freakshow an army you can build a list around. (I'd like to look at the Chaos codex, since I think Night Lords might could make a go of it.)

For Aeldari, you can still throw a little in here or there, but it's gravy and not a roast in this edition.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 18:37

The main kicker for me is that there's no Psychic Shriek anymore.

Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 20:23

That's definitely the curb stomp that's putting our lights out for good.

I think there's a possibility, but you'd have to go with a troopspam (to get as many PGLs in the list as possible), along with several groups of Shadow Spectres for their brutal debuff. (And Irrilyth is a must.) A Wraithfighter if you want, and probably a Shadowseer. It would work, I think, especially if you backed it up with something that could throw wounds on almost everything (Dissie Ravagers).

There's just not enough variety to make it work, though.
Back to top Go down
Sarkesian
Kabalite Warrior
Sarkesian

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 17 2017, 20:38

Append to Lelith's rules: Lelith always wounds on a 3+ against non vehicle units
Back to top Go down
URIEN
Kabalite Warrior
URIEN

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18 2017, 09:48

Seeing a lot of cool suggestions from everyone. Just a thought on the Liquifier, who thinks its strength should be based on the firing model's toughness? Considering the Liquifier uses the wielder's internal acidic blood of sorts as its ammo.

Another thing bugging me is the Night Lords everyone is mentioning. Does nobody remember that time the NL attacked an imperial planet at the dead of night and, obv's, had the upper hand? Then the Covens came along with an anti-photon engine and terrorised the heck out of them? Literal proof we're better at it than them.

Damn Sarkesian. That's actually pretty good, she does know where to place the blade exactly so...

Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18 2017, 09:51

Personally, I would be kinda willing to suggest giving Lelith's attacks a rule that gives her a mortal wound on a wound roll of 4+. Basically think the Haywire Blaster but for melee and against biological foes.

This means she will be doing far more damage against both hordes and Characters without significantly rebuilding her.
Back to top Go down
URIEN
Kabalite Warrior
URIEN

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 18 2017, 09:53

I'm up for any possible improvement if the codices are going the powerhouse path we've been discussing in other threads

PostSubject: Re: Reimagining of the Dark Kin    Reimagining of the Dark Kin  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reimagining of the Dark Kin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Rules Development
-
Jump to: