THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Transport Allegiance?

Go down 
+5
darkmark
Sky Serpent
Local_Ork
shadow hunter
Radium
9 posters

Transport Allegiance?
Colour of the Coven/Cult the unit belongs to
Transport Allegiance? Voteba1318%Transport Allegiance? Voteba15
 18% [ 3 ]
Colour of the Kabal
Transport Allegiance? Voteba1329%Transport Allegiance? Voteba15
 29% [ 5 ]
Colour of the Kabal with markings of the Coven/Cult
Transport Allegiance? Voteba1341%Transport Allegiance? Voteba15
 41% [ 7 ]
Colour of the Coven/Cult with markings of the Kabal
Transport Allegiance? Voteba1312%Transport Allegiance? Voteba15
 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage

Transport Allegiance? Empty
PostSubject: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 10:24

As I love all of the new models I couldn’t restrict myself to just a Kabal, Coven or Cult army, so I decided to go with a Kabalite heavy themed army with support from the other two armies (I’m greedy)

My question is regarding how you go about painting units such as Raiders or Venoms which are being used to transport Coven and Cult units?

I don’t even know if Coven and Cult units would have their own transports, although on the back of Junes WD there is a photograph of an army comprised exclusively of coven units (The Prophets of Flesh), showing them using a raider painted in the colours of the coven, but again going back to my original question I don’t know how this would translate to a mixed army.

I look forward reading others thoughts on this.

Last edited by Ariensis on Thu May 26 2011, 12:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Radium
Kabalite Warrior
Radium

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 11:00

It really depends on what you want your army to look like. I've not decided what to do myself, but I think I'll go with Kabal colours for all of the vehicles, and use coven/cult markings on the transports for wracks/wyches. I'm also going to make the gunner/driver of my wych raiders look like wyches. Same for the Incubi.

But whatever you do, I would highly recommend using at least SOME Kabal colours on the transports, so the army has a coherent look.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down
shadow hunter
Kabalite Warrior
shadow hunter

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 11:12

Honestly - I've not gone into that much detail. I like a coherent look, so my wyches and Kabalite warriors use the same colour scheme.

Not thought about the use of Wyches driving the raiders. That's a good idea - but I kind of assumed raiders etc belonged to the Kabals anyway, and 'lend' them to the wyches during a raid.

I am tempted to buy more now though and have wych gunners etc. I'll probably use the Venom crew - since I want that piloted by Kabal warriors.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 12:13

Radium wrote:
I would highly recommend using at least SOME Kabal colours on the transports
I suppose in addition to markings/symbols you could add a "racing stripe" of colour e.g. for a raider of Wyches you could use the Kabals colour with Wych cult symbols and a stripe or block of your chosen Wych cult colour scheme (or the reverse of that)

I love the idea of gunners and drivers being the same as the unit their transporting. Thanks for that tip.

shadow hunter wrote:
I kind of assumed raiders etc belonged to the Kabals anyway, and 'lend' them to the Wyches during a raid.
This is what I was confused about, hence creating this topic. There doesn’t seem to be any mention of ownership in the Codex, unless I’ve overlooked it.

Back to top Go down
Radium
Kabalite Warrior
Radium

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 12:25

Ariensis wrote:
This is what I was confused about, hence creating this topic. There doesn’t seem to be any mention of ownership in the Codex, unless I’ve overlooked it.

There isn't as far as I know. But given that the larger Wych Cults rival some of the Kabals for power and conduct real space raids on their own, it would be logical for them to have their own raiders etc. The Dark Eldar aren't really a race that likes to share or to depend on one another to do what they want. Therefor the Cults/Covens/Shrines are bound to be pretty self reliant and have their own stuff. It only makes sense.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 12:53

Yes it would make sense for larger groups to have their own vehicles. If they did then they may paint sections of them before battle to show visual allegiance to the Kabal that they are going on a Realspace raid with.
Much in the same way that units in a Black Legion chaos army have unifying markings. e.g. Thousand Sons painting their shoulder pads black.
Back to top Go down
shadow hunter
Kabalite Warrior
shadow hunter

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 12:58

I guess I am going to introduce a new colour or marking to my Wyches now then to show the division between them and my Kabalites.

I only lightly glued my drivers and pilots (and passengers) so when I get my venom I might do a switch with them to create at least one Wych specific transport.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 20:55

I would paint them similar... but not exactly.

Go with Kabal as main theme, treating Cult/Coven units as some sort of mercenaries/maintence (so they ride in Kabal vehicles, but wear their own colours). However Dark Kin seems to be "artsy", so they would mark their vehicles in some way.

Picked "Colour of the Kabal with markings of the Coven/Cult"

Did same thing to My Space Orks, all guys wear mostly blue but with their Klan accents (I roll Deffskull army with Bad Moon Lootas and Goff walkers)
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 23:29

I am in the exact same dilemma as you. I keep having lots of wild and exciting ideas for different themed Kabals and Cults. Thankfully as my army is based on the Duke it is very fitting to have a wide array of warriors flocking to his banner.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 06:45

Just a thought I had this morning; Does the colour of the sails denote anything? I see that GW's raiders are white and their ravagers red. If you decided to go with the "Colour of the Kabal with markings of the Coven/Cult" option then you could mix it up a little and paint the sail in it in the Coven/Cult covens colour without spoiling the coherence of the army as a whole.

Sky Serpent wrote:
Thankfully as my army is based on the Duke it is very fitting to have a wide array of warriors flocking to his banner.

I don't know if you've been following this thread. > Fleet-Based Kabals

Myself and Xelkireth (As well as others) had a deep discussion on justifying coven/cult in a fleet-based Kabal, and came to the conclusion that all they would be very similar to the Sky Serpents. If I'm honest I started that thread to justify my mixed army list. (As well as being interested in the discussion)
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 10:50

I'd say paint the vehicles a neutral colour such as blue, grey, or even brown. That way whatever they're carrying should match them. Also I'd keep the sails removable so you can have different sails for different passengers. Idea

Are you leaning in any particular way regarding choice of kabal, cult, or coven? This might help us give better suggestions.
Back to top Go down
shadow hunter
Kabalite Warrior
shadow hunter

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 11:42

I cant paint my raiders a neutral blue - as my warriors (and wyches) are actually painted hawk turqious - rather than the normal black.

They then have ice blue hair, and dark grey wych suit / kabalite underarmour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 12:52

darkmark wrote:
Are you leaning in any particular way regarding choice of kabal, cult, or coven? This might help us give better suggestions.

The topic was posted, as a general enquiry to see what other people had planned to do or done. My chosen Kabal is The Severed, and I think they will be supported by the blade denied due to their similar colour scheme (Purple/Pink and Green) As far as a supporting coven goes, I'm undecided as I haven't seen any colour schemes for them at all yet.

I like the idea of interchangeable sails, it would save buying separate raiders for each unit.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 16:06

Just as further food for thought, I reckon any vehicle hulls should only carry general insignia. Swapable sails and passengers should distinguish any allegiance.
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 19:55

I haven't named my Coven/Cult/Kabal but I have a basic colour scheme and have been using splashes of blood to tie them together where they differ.

For example, my Reavers all have their own paintjobs, colourful and bright, because if you read the fluff, they're vain and competitive, so I figured they'd want to stand out as much as possible. To mark them as a unit, I'm putting blood splatters on their bladevanes and adding a little freehand symbol (once I decide on one) to the bike's body, also in blood.
Back to top Go down
Todo13
Kabalite Warrior
Todo13

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 27 2011, 22:04

None of the above for me, my raider is painted gold because the rest of my army is purple Smile
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 06:39

My Raiders and Ravagers are painted with Kabalite colours, since I didn't bother to convert the drivers. I assume the Cult and Coven elements are acting as mercenaries of a kind, joining in the Kabalite realspace raid, so they ride the Kabal's vehicles. The new Venoms seem to have Wytches driving them, so I'll probably paint those with Cult colours, altho that might be a bit odd as I'll never actually use Cult units with them. infact, my lists will probably end up with all my Kabalite units riding in the Cult Venoms and Cult units riding in the Kabalite Raiders. scratch

xerxeshavelock
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 19:41

I've been pondering the same thing, and I think I will have my Raiders in a different (though complementary) scheme to the rest of the army. The plan being that the Raiders and Ravagers are supplied by a Shipmaster and display his heraldry. He's the guy who busses the army around, either at the request of his owning Kabal, or maybe purely as a mercenary venture. The fighters and bombers will likely be the same.

As an aside, given that the Raiders are probably pretty disposable and mass-produced by slaves I may make the paint job reflect that somewhat, possibly to the point of making the armour plates lookpretty cheap and disposable. Only if I can come up with some good ideas that is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transport Allegiance?   Transport Allegiance? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transport Allegiance?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-