THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The FAQ and Open War

Go down 
+7
Garion
Hellstrom
merse24
dumpeal
Barrywise
Hen Tai, the tentacle guy
nerdelemental
11 posters
AuthorMessage
nerdelemental
Kabalite Warrior
nerdelemental

The FAQ and Open War Empty
PostSubject: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 12:39

Played a game last night. We deploy model by model and he gets done first and says, "Looks like I go first." I say, 'no, you just get a +1 to the roll.'
He and several other locals point out that the FAQ pertains to the *Organized Play* or *Matched Play* formats but not Open War (using the decks). Several other FAQ related points were made and how they did not work for Open War.

Is this the intent? An oversight on the FAQs? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 13:42

if tou play with points, +1 to the seize roll. If you used PL, the player that is finished deploying first begins. If he try to say it otherwise, loudly call him a "that guy" and shame into submission.

nerdelemental
Kabalite Warrior
nerdelemental

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 14:04

Agreed. But the FAQ specifically states what it affects.
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 15:31

If it's a friendly game I feel like that's something that should be talked about before the game starts. Which is why so many FAQ's is annoying, because ou have to take 5 minutes per rule talking about what you want/don't want.

If it was a competitive game, using PL no less, (I approve personally), then that should've been stated by the TO for what rules do and do not apply.

Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 17:11

"We will make the rules simple. But edit a new FAQ each weak, to explain how to use those simplified rules. You better not miss a singe FAQ, or you'll be screwed"

Much simple. Very easy. Such game. Very WOW.
Back to top Go down
merse24
Kabalite Warrior
merse24

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 22:02

dumpeal wrote:
"We will make the rules simple. But edit a new FAQ each weak, to explain how to use those simplified rules. You better not miss a singe FAQ, or you'll be screwed"

Sure the game isn't perfect, but at least they're not waiting 8-12 months to release an FAQ/Errata on rules issues. The rules are pretty simple, but what they couldn't fully anticipate was the internet trying to find a loophole in every single piece of wording. So yeah, there were things that needed to be clarified and I'm happy that GW is now very engaged with the community and working to keep the rules evergreen and functional based on the community's feedback.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 23 2017, 00:05

merse24 wrote:
dumpeal wrote:

Sure the game isn't perfect, but at least they're not waiting 8-12 months to release an FAQ/Errata on rules issues.  The rules are pretty simple, but what they couldn't fully anticipate was the internet trying to find a loophole in every single piece of wording.  So yeah, there were things that needed to be clarified and I'm happy that GW is now very engaged with the community and working to keep the rules evergreen and functional based on the community's feedback.

Well, they didn't wrote a 200 page rulebook solely to increase it's price. The rules were overwhelming, but very specific. Stripping them to what, 20 pages? It's normal it caused massive holes in the rules that needed to be FAQ.
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 23 2017, 11:10

Where is the FAQ ??
Back to top Go down
Garion
Kabalite Warrior
Garion

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03 2017, 09:08

I can't find this FAQ too. Are you talking about the new rule that will be included in the new missions from Chapter Approved?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/09/new-matched-play-rules-in-chapter-approved-aug-9gw-homepage-post-1/

G

My blog: A painting chaos
Back to top Go down
http://apaintingchaos.blogspot.it
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03 2017, 10:42

As far as I'm aware, those new rules will be part of new missions. They've not been released yet though.....

http://www.escelionfilms.com
nerdelemental
Kabalite Warrior
nerdelemental

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03 2017, 13:43

I believe that's all correct. Locally, we adopted them straight off and I thought they were canon.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03 2017, 18:58

Yeah i thought these rules were only for the "Chapter Approve" missions?

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
TheHostwiththeMost
Kabalite Warrior
TheHostwiththeMost

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04 2017, 04:16

There are 3 ways to play:

Open play:  Open play is the most flexible system – where you can use any models you like in a game to achieve any sort of objective you like. You can play archetypal scenarios like raids, ambushes or desperate last-stands with “What If” themes, set up races between vehicles, or even use the classic “who would win in a fight between…” as a catalyst for a game with undeniable appeal.

Narrative play:  Narrative play is just what it sounds like – fighting battles based on stories from the far future, whether from campaign books, Black Library novels or legends of your own creation. Perhaps they even form part of an ongoing campaign, or are set in the notorious war zones of the 41st Millennium, such as Armageddon, Cadia, Fenris, Baal… the list goes on. Playing games that tell part of a larger story is what narrative play is all about.

Matched play:  Matched play is the final type of play-style. This system will be very familiar to those of you who play Warhammer 40,000 regularly now. Like the game today, it is based around one of two mission tables of 6 possible battles – either Eternal War, or Maelstrom of War, though the missions briefs have all been updated a little.

Your armies for matched play games will always be Battle-forged (more on that in future) and use points values to help ensure a balanced game.

Either your friends are confusing "Open play" with "Open war" or they are trying to gain an advantage via guaranteed alpha strike.  Hopefully its the former.

Either way, next time something like this happens, immediately forfeit and then offer to play a second game with the correct rules, if they dont want to, pack up.  Someone using Open war cards to alpha strike is a scumbag.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04 2017, 07:17

But are they technically not correct in that the roll-of is actually only for those missions, not for the missions in the rulebook?
Back to top Go down
TheHostwiththeMost
Kabalite Warrior
TheHostwiththeMost

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04 2017, 23:01

|Meavar wrote:
But are they technically not correct in that the roll-of is actually only for those missions, not for the missions in the rulebook?

Raw, the new missions dont replace the old ones.  just like how 8th edition didnt replace 7th edition...  You can totally still play 7th edition, just nobody will want to play against you.

ITC, Table top tactics, My local stores, All the tournaments etc...  All use the new roll off specifically because playing an alpha strike list that is guaranteed to go first is cheesy as hell and not fun for anyone involved.

Its not like some interesting mechanic they are adding to the new mission... Its an attempt to fix a very big issue with how 40k currently works.  One of the same reasons nobody plays relic missions.  

I played a couple games before adopting this rule where we straight up started over because the game was done half way through turn 1.  (we weren't even designing Alpha strike lists...)

Either way though, "Open war" cards are meant to add fun, not take it away.  Id find new friends rather than bother arguing something like this with those people.

I can make a list that, if guaranteed to go firsts, will win 100% of the time and provide 0 enjoyment for my opponent. Do you want to play the old missions with me? Laughing  Maybe you would rather use the new rule?

In the end its your time. Play the game how you want. These are just my opinions.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04 2017, 23:46

Almost all locals will "adapt" to the +1 to go first rule once chapter approve comes out anyways.

There is always be some that wont, but it will be more common than anything.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The FAQ and Open War   The FAQ and Open War I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The FAQ and Open War
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY ::