THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Frowny
Hellion
Frowny

Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? Empty
PostSubject: Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks?   Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10 2017, 01:20

Hey there,

I'm thinking of a black and white theme for my Dark Eldar.

Any thoughts on how it would look to use warm-white (slightly tannish) and cold black (blue tinged) together on alternating parts of a models armor. Or in black-and-white minis or does it tend to look better using all colds or all warms?

For example, the GW harlequins look to be all cold (blue-black cloaks), clean, blue-tinged white masks.
The white scars seem all cold as well, for example.
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks?   Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10 2017, 03:48

To be honest, I wouldn't recommand that, for the simple reason that Kab warriors looks like freakin' stormtroopers, even if this looks like a gorgeous idea on paper...

Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? Ikifee10

But don't get discouraged ; if you really want to do it, you'll do it Wink

Anyway, I went for a similar scheme but switched black for red after a 5 man squad of kabs painted.

I went random on the armor for the secondary color (shoulder pad, knuckles, knees, etc.) and always between 1 and 3 per guy and I find the result pleasing to the eye and homogeneous.

If you want to have the same color at the same place for everyone, I'd recommand testing your color scheme before, first through pattern ( http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Wfn_glgMTks/UQfVdMhd_tI/AAAAAAAAD-c/DSL-VI-OQuc/s1600/scanne10.jpg ; looks for blanks ones, they are some, but was too lazy d: ) and then test it on a couple warriors.

Also consider neutral bases to valorize you color scheme (desert, jungle, mars) ; with such a typical color scheme it's pretty important and must be chosen before.

Hope it helped, feel free to ask more details, and have fun painting.

Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks?   Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10 2017, 15:29

I've seen some really stunning muted colour schemes that use the basing to make the models pop. This is the one that springs to mind with a mostly-black model contrasted with a rust-coloured base Smile

Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? W9jq5v

As for warm and cold colours I've seen that mixed well too. Can't think of any off the top of my head though.

I do see what Masamune is saying about the stormtrooper look though. Might look cool though, especially if you rough up the armour plates so they're sort of a dirty white (go for an off-white like Pallid Wych Flesh and then a dark warm grey lightly upwards across the ridges is a nice effect).

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks?   Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10 2017, 16:43

Yup. Or you can also go for a bone effect armor style (screming skull > seraphim sepia > white scar)

I've seen several armies with this color scheme and it looks fantasic (and seems rather quick to paint)

Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks?   Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold black and warm white for armor and cloaks?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: