THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Rangers in ynnari

Go down 
+2
Count Adhemar
Subsanity
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 24 2017, 16:01

Does anyone know if rangers have some sort of infiltrate or deep strike in the new codex. And anyone take them with an ynnari army. How do they fair?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 24 2017, 16:07

Rangers had infiltrate in the index and I don't see anything in any of the reviews that says they no longer have it. I've used them in Ynnari armies to mixed effect. Some games they've butchered character models like nobody's business and in other games they've been shot to pieces. With the 40% price drop in the new codex I think I will be taking at least 2 units in any Ynnari or Aeldari force.

Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 24 2017, 16:55

Yea the price drop is nice. Im running mainly kabal so Dark reapers and possibly rangers. I just want a unit that doea not need a transport.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 24 2017, 16:59

I'm currently building my CW army around them. At 12pts they are vastly undepriced, and so much better than Guardians in every field (harder to kill, more range, more utility, more mobility, etc.).

Archon
amishprn86

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25 2017, 01:46

For CWE i'm doing 2 Ranger units and 1 guardian unit, everything i've seen they still have Appear Unbudden.

I always like Ranger and now i want them Smile

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k

Last edited by amishprn86 on Wed Oct 25 2017, 04:06; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25 2017, 03:47

The only issue I see with taking them in ynnari is we lose the cp ability and the faction ability. So are they worth it @ 12 pts and -1 to hit is the question.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25 2017, 04:08

Im taking a Detachment of Alaitoc and the rest is Ynnari.

Detachment one, Heavy
Warlock
Dark Reapers
Dark Reapers
Dark Reapers
Rangers
Rangers
Flyer

Detachment 2, Battalion
Yncarne
Troupes x6, x6 FP
Troupes x6, x6 FP
Guardians
Shiny Spears
DSing Shadow Specters
DSing Fire Dragons
Guardians (maybe DSing if no AI is needed or dont need to DS SS)
2 Starweavers

This "should" be 2k with new points.

The Idea is Rangers and Dark Reapers in back with Warlock, 3 units to DS (tho i need to pick 2) the other unit can move a bonus 7" on turn one, 2 Troupes with FP's are always good.

Back to top Go down
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25 2017, 14:27

Hmm good idea except I may be too vehicle heavy to pull it off. Did reapers drop in points as well?
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25 2017, 15:38

Yes they did, and those are 5mans in my list.

Back to top Go down
Subsanity
Sybarite
Subsanity

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25 2017, 21:38

Now I am wishing Battle scribed would hurry up and get the eldar codex
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25 2017, 21:57

I think they went down my a lot do, something like 9-10pts each.

Back to top Go down
LordSplata
Sybarite
LordSplata

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 02 2017, 22:48

Yikes. They were good already!

I'm looking forward to running rangers in a ynnari list at the decreased cost. The mortal wound potential on characters is a great fear inducing device. It will also help to offset the hate on my scourges, and increase target priority dilemmas. Shoot the scourges, get a character blasted by a round of these guys. Go for these guys, lose a tank to scourges. Kill a ravager and get either one.

Admittedly as Count says their bark is worse than their bite, with only 5/10 shots they aren't going to assassinate many characters turn 1, but compared to my 35 point anti deepstrike kabalite squads they are a direct Upgrade
Back to top Go down
Lyceus
Hellion
Lyceus

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03 2017, 10:17

Would you use rangers still as deepstrike protections or use the range and bunker up somewhere?
Definitely playing next week a test game with this guys: 3 units of 5. Alongside with this list:

DE spearhead detachment
WL/ haemonculus
3x5 kabs with venom
2x5 mandrakes
Scourges w. 4 DL
3x DL ravagers
2x Reapers

CWE batalion
Farseer (Executioner,...)
Farseer skyrunner (doom, ...)
3x 5 rangers

I hope this will give me some board controll. And a lot of mortal wound potential. Not sure if I have enough anti infantry though.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03 2017, 13:52

Rangers IMO are good, but not for bubble wrap, they are good b.c they are cheap and usefull "CWE troops" something they needed, DE has better bubble wrap (beasts).

I dont think they are good enough to ever take more than 3 (to fill out a CWE Battalion) 2 more units over 3 is almost pointless, especially when for the same points have DSing Fire Dragons, Shiny Spears, shadow specters, Dark Reapers etc.. etc..

A -1 to hit (it will be -1 if you DSing b.c they'll be in range of 12" to stop your -2 to hit) on 5xt3 guys isnt very good good for 60pts.

WITH that said, you should try it (always try things out) and see how it works, it might work great against some, and terrible against others.

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03 2017, 14:32

amishprn86 wrote:
Rangers IMO are good, but not for bubble wrap, they are good b.c they are cheap and usefull "CWE troops" something they needed, DE has better bubble wrap (beasts).

I dont think they are good enough to ever take more than 3 (to fill out a CWE Battalion)

I did exactly that in my last game. Three units of 5 to fill out the troops in a CWE Battalion. They did very little offensively but served as fire magnets and distractions. With the -2 to hit at 12"+ they absorbed a surprising amount of firepower.

Lyceus
Hellion
Lyceus

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03 2017, 16:41

But you still deploy them outside of you zone to distract the enemy?
Otherwise why not use them with an autarch with maybe a reaper launcher and relict to target characters. And CP regain on 6.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03 2017, 16:49

When your spending 180pts so slow down maybe 2 units and then they are dead, if your taking them and then one of your opponents has some crazy DSing crap, sure then use them for that reason, but just to throw them away is a waste of points IMO.

Snipers Especially 15 of them ARE are real Threat, players will be scared of them, you could do more damage in the long run by not throwing them away, doing 2-3 MW + 2-3 more wounds on a character per turn, can win you the game.

CSM, wont get re-rolls and smite
Eldar, no powers
Nids, no synapse
IG, no orders

Not every one has a Mortarion/Guilliam, many play with 3-5 wound guys as small HQ taxes that help the force.

Not saying you cant do it, i'm saying sure in some situations it will work, but dont go trying to do it all the time, rather have it in your back pocket.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rangers in ynnari Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rangers in ynnari   Rangers in ynnari I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rangers in ynnari
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY ::