THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

best sculpting material

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Judgex83
Hellion
Judgex83

best sculpting material Empty
PostSubject: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 20:44

I would like to know what you guys use to sculpt things. Im doing a nurgle warriors of chaos army and i want to make a giant grub like creature to mount my warshrine on top of. I played around with green stuff making smaller scale versions of what I want but cant get the green stuff to work right for me. Ive seen ppl use a light brown material for sculpting and was wondering what it was caled.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 22:15

Light brown material that need to be baked?
best sculpting material Dwarf_Pilot
If so then it's called Super Sculpey, polymer clay. And certainly it will be good for Your use. Also You can try FIMO and ANY polimer clay.

However I wonder why epoxy putty (GS) didn't worked out for You. Did You tried to sculpt without armature ("skeleton")?
Back to top Go down
Judgex83
Hellion
Judgex83

PostSubject: Re: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 22:23

Yeah i did try to sculpt without a skeleton because I thought making a giant grub wouldnt require one since I figured I could just roll up a large amount and squish it into the general shape and then attack it with an exacto to get the ridges I want. I dont know if it needs to be baked but the material im thinking of is lighter then your pictures.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 23:03

You should try to make skeleton. Luckly, that one can be dome from anything. I have good results with tin foil and paper-mache, I guess first would help You too.

To be honest in 99% cases putty/clay don't quite matter. There are techniques that would force me to buy specific clay but... it's 1%.

I go with cheapest epoxy most times (Milliput or Pattex).

Actually I think putty You seek can be Milliput, "Standard" is made from Yellow+Grey.

best sculpting material DSC06873

There are several types of Milliput but to be honest You want Standard 99% time and Superfine on 0.5% (0.5% also go to GS since it's IMHO expensive and not that good but with interesting feat - harden like hard rubber - that allow "press mold" sculpting (check Scibor SM stuff, ornaments are "pressed" that way . He have tutorial on his site too.)

Last edited by Local_Ork on Tue Nov 08 2011, 23:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Judgex83
Hellion
Judgex83

PostSubject: Re: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 23:17

thanks for the advice local ork i will try out your sugestions.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 23:19

Be sure to post pictures Wink
Back to top Go down
Judgex83
Hellion
Judgex83

PostSubject: Re: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09 2011, 01:21

so far all of my attempts have been met with failure. I dont think photos will be coming any time soon sadly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: best sculpting material   best sculpting material I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

best sculpting material
Page 1 of 1