THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Glass Battleaxe
Kabalite Warrior
Glass Battleaxe

Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear Empty
PostSubject: Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear   Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22 2018, 13:13

Hey all

So, I'm finally at the stage where I'm ready to start painting my miniatures, starting with a small 50 power Wraith Host detachment for an upcoming event. One of the models that I'm painting for this is a Hemlock Wraithfighter, and I'm curious as to how you guys go about painting flying models.

Do you tend to take them off the stand where possible? Or is there something you use to keep the flying stands paint- or spray-free? (the latter might help with units like Hellions, which are glued to their respective stands)

Also, while I'm on the subject of transparent components:

1. For models with clear bases, do you tend to give them a detailed base to match your army, or keep them clear? I've seen both being used in equal measure and was wondering what you guys (and girls) tend to do.

2. For models with clear canopies, do you keep them clear and paint the model inside? Or do you simply cover them up? For the Hemlock I intend to do the latter, but there are some vehicles (Vypers in particular) where the pilot is still visible from other angles.
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear   Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22 2018, 13:49

Most people I've seen tend to paint over the canopies. I personally keep them clear and paint the models inside. It does make for extra steps though. To do this, you need to finish the whole model without the canopy glued on if you intend to clear coat when you're done. (or painters tape over it when you spray)

I haven't done my hellions yet, but I did glue my jetbikes on before painting. It isn't too hard to cover the flying stand with painters tape before spraying.

Similarly on my jet fighters, painters tape kept the clear stand safe while I painted the base.

Key is to use painters tape, not masking tape. Masking tape won't get the same seal, so some of the spray could bleed through. This wouldn't be a huge issue for the clear coat on the bases, but is a bigger issue if you're using spray paint for the base coat on the model.

I have historically left the clear bases clear, but if I had it to do again, I would base them like the rest of my army. I have one raider that the base broke, so I had to do this, and I'm really pleased with how it looks.

S

Back to top Go down
Triavan
Slave
Triavan

PostSubject: Re: Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear   Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31 2018, 20:29

I've taken to priming my canopies black, then painting a thick coat of Badger Minitaire Black Ghost Tint over them. They end up with a shiny motorcycle helmet face plate look.

As for stands... a paper towel soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol will clean off any overspray.
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear   Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 09:06

I spray the inside of my canopies with a thin coat of tamiya clear orange, gives it a tint but you can still see inside.

Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear   Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 10:58

I also tend to paint the inside of the canopy, trying to make it a decent blend of colours so its not a flat colour.

On stand, I threw together a sort-of stand, and keep a flyer on that while painting. Then get it on a proper stand later once its done.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear   Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting Flyers - Tips to keep the stand clear
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: